Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961672 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1830 on: September 19, 2012, 04:09:53 pm »

I don't recall anything solid about a cap on soldiers, but I do recall footage of soldiers recuperating at the base hospital (implying that you could have extra soldiers to fill in any temporary gaps in your primary squad), and of course there was the famous Sid Myer mission when a squad of rookies had to get bailed out by a more elite squad. That second one was probably just for the press, but it does kinda imply that you can have multiple, fully-equipped squads in the late game.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: September 19, 2012, 04:12:09 pm »

Hmm, might be interesting later in the game to have two squads. One for Urban missions and one for Rural missions and UFO clean-up. You could choose appropriate classes and outfit them specifically for those types of missions.
Do we know max soldier count, and is it different from squad size?

Hmm....well, I'm not sure. I don't think they've stated max soldier count. It's pretty big based on the videos I've seen. 12 at least, which is enough for two max sized squads. Probably more, since wounded soldiers are in the medical bay for a bit.

Ninja'd a bit by Sirus.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1832 on: September 19, 2012, 04:45:20 pm »

Well screw it.

Bought this on principle. I want companies to do more of what Firaxis has done with the X-com franchise. Lots of money or not, this is how we show support for non-braindead-FPS-clone...

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: September 19, 2012, 04:53:37 pm »

Well screw it.

Bought this on principle. I want companies to do more of what Firaxis has done with the X-com franchise. Lots of money or not, this is how we show support for non-braindead-FPS-clone...

...speaking of which, has anyone heard more about said braindead-FPS-clone? They got a lot of backlash from their first gameplay video, and I don't think I've heard anything since.

How long until we can assume it's been cancelled?  :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: September 19, 2012, 04:55:24 pm »

I haven't heard anything about it for quite some time.

Which is kinda a shame, since I thought the FPS looked kinda neat. It wasn't X-COM, but the idea of 50s-era FBI agents fighting eldritch abominations is pretty awesome.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: September 19, 2012, 05:54:50 pm »

Which is kinda a shame, since I thought the FPS looked kinda neat. It wasn't X-COM, but the idea of 50s-era FBI agents fighting eldritch abominations is pretty awesome.

In some respects I thought people were being to harsh on it. I saw it as a sort of prequil to the original Xcom where you saw the events that lead to the creation of the team.

A shooter based on you being an alien investigator, well really originally an ordinary government lead investigator, where you improvise weaponry in order to fight an alien force that is otherwise much more advanced and alien then you? Sounds perfect! Yeah it isn't 100% Xcom but honestly it just means it has its own style and identity while still using the same prime elements with a story that COULD have happened in the universe.

That was NOT the part of the game that I had any problem with. What gave me a lot of issue was all this OTHER stuff on the side. When they started to describe to me what was essentially Mass Effect... My interest waned.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1836 on: September 19, 2012, 06:15:05 pm »

Honestly, the comment wasn't so much directed at the X-com FPS as it was at the general state of the AAA gaming industry. Clones upon clones upon clones... the same formula applied ad nauseam. It got slightly better with the advent of a big indie community, but I feel most indie games these days are using the same gimmicks, or are just low-quality and low-depth.

Seeing X-Com being remade as a well thought out iteration of the turn-based genre within a AAA format is a breath of fresh air. I want to help prove that it can be financially successful, so that the AAA community will be more open to these projects. Another good AAA game that comes to mind is Crusader Kings 2, if you consider Paradox as AAA :)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: September 19, 2012, 06:50:23 pm »

Ok, so the colour editing and customization can only be done with the pre-order bonus, right?  So if I buy the game after release I won't be able to customize my soldiers at all?
It's not the end of the world if I can't, since it's purely aesthetic, but I was looking forward to editing armour a lot.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: September 19, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

You can still edit your guys. Specially facial things. The pack is just for more editing, although yeah, I heard somewhere or another it is mostly a armor pack, so if you want to customize armor that is what you will want.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: September 19, 2012, 06:55:00 pm »

It might be a DLC. For something with a lot of potential demand, Id be surprised if they didn't. I'd rather it was included in the game proper for free, but I do understand that stakeholders want some sort of guarantee of profit, knowing full well the game took 4 years to make.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: September 19, 2012, 07:11:34 pm »

They might also do that thing where they release it for free, but not until a fair amount of time has passed.

Also, bizarre thought of the day: This game is probably going to have an expansion. Games do tend to do that, but for some reason that's just really weird to me in this case.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: September 19, 2012, 07:15:41 pm »

In some respects I thought people were being to harsh on it. I saw it as a sort of prequil to the original Xcom where you saw the events that lead to the creation of the team.

A shooter based on you being an alien investigator, well really originally an ordinary government lead investigator, where you improvise weaponry in order to fight an alien force that is otherwise much more advanced and alien then you? Sounds perfect! Yeah it isn't 100% Xcom but honestly it just means it has its own style and identity while still using the same prime elements with a story that COULD have happened in the universe.
No. It couldn't have. There was no mention in the original X-Com of this and there was no trace of any improvised alien technologies. Compare with Apocalypse where you've got elerium-based technology everywhere and even sectoid-human hybrids. Making a prequel that contradicts the proper series is just sloppy writing.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: September 19, 2012, 07:30:37 pm »

It depends. Since both games are re-imaginings of Xcom, one in a totally different genre, one as a revamp, it's probably best to consider them in a parrallel universe sense.

We've got Xcom the original, and it's official sequels, which is the base "real" universe. Then all the others, which are similar but different. There's plenty of games that use similar lore or gameplay mechanics, that are trying to do a similar thing.

Xcom: The FPS is a possible outcome with this many universes to work with. It's like the bizzaro-world Xcom, where what was once a squad-based tactical game became something totally inverted to expectations for something carrying that title. First Person Shooter. Hmmmm. Xcom. Hmmmmm. That is bizzare. But still kind of cool.

But still, there are better re-imaginings in development. Faithful to the original with extensions and moddability. :cough:X@com:cough:

It's way better, and just got it's new tech demo out. Plus, no one whinges about it. They just help make it better. Check the thread if you want.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:38:51 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: September 19, 2012, 09:54:03 pm »

No. It couldn't have. There was no mention in the original X-Com of this and there was no trace of any improvised alien technologies. Compare with Apocalypse where you've got elerium-based technology everywhere and even sectoid-human hybrids. Making a prequel that contradicts the proper series is just sloppy writing.

No no no... The Improvised weaponry wasn't improvised alien technologies but improvised real life technologies. For example the Flame Grenades were very much possible using the technology of the time but weren't practical so no one would make any instead of just an ordinary grenade... However against oil based amourpheous blobs of alien origin it is excellent. Thus all the weaponry is improvised technology against unknown enemies. (Ohhh it would have been so awsome if the final tier of weapons... were the starting weapons and equipment of the original Xcom)

Plus they had a excellent reasons, before they showed its more silly side, as to why there wouldn't be any trace once Xcom started.

It would make it a much better Xcom shooter then the ACTUAL Xcom shooter... well... until the game became more like Mass Effect
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:59:16 pm by Neonivek »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: September 20, 2012, 05:11:33 am »

No no no... The Improvised weaponry wasn't improvised alien technologies but improvised real life technologies. For example the Flame Grenades were very much possible using the technology of the time but weren't practical so no one would make any instead of just an ordinary grenade... However against oil based amourpheous blobs of alien origin it is excellent. Thus all the weaponry is improvised technology against unknown enemies. (Ohhh it would have been so awsome if the final tier of weapons... were the starting weapons and equipment of the original Xcom)

Plus they had a excellent reasons, before they showed its more silly side, as to why there wouldn't be any trace once Xcom started.

It would make it a much better Xcom shooter then the ACTUAL Xcom shooter... well... until the game became more like Mass Effect
What excellent reasons? I must've missed them.

So you're saying NONE of the technologies used against the aliens in the prequel were considered practical against the ones later (or human beings in general)? Like I'm pretty sure I saw bipedal aliens in the gameplay vids that turned the game into a cover shooter. You'd think whatever they devised to fight these shits would prove sort of useful later on. Even against other human beings. There was a thing called the Cold War supposed to be going on, you'd think someone would use the technologies as leverage later on. So like 40-50 years between the wars and these idiots lose all the technologies rather than developing something based on them?

In Apocalypse you had laser sniper rifles, plasma pistols, limited psionics, vehicle-mounted plasma weapons, anti-gravity elevators, corporations manufacturing power armour and flying power armour. All things from the first alien war.

Also note how it's called the first alien war, indicating there wasn't a zeroth alien war.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 625