Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961705 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1815 on: September 15, 2012, 02:46:12 pm »

People were talking about doing an xcom LP. I've done xcom to death so I decided to do one for UFO: Afterlight which is a similar game set on mars.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=116468.0

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: September 15, 2012, 03:08:49 pm »

Does anybody know of any games similar to X-COM to pass the time until the release date finally arrives? I know that Julian Gollop (who worked on the original game and Apocalypse) made other tactical-type games such as Lazer Squad and Rebelstar: Tactical Command, and a game called Xeno-something (can't remember the name right now) drew inspiration from X-COM, but I can't think of anything else.
UFO: Extraterrestrials, any of the After series (Aftermath, Aftershock, Afterlight), Xenonauts... there have been many games which drew inspiration from xcom

I have to say no to Aftermath. It's a completely different (and crappy) feeling than X-COM. Fortunately, they realized this and fixed it for the two sequels, Aftershock and Afterlight.

Afterlight is cooler but unfortunately gives you fixed soldiers, and VERY limited replacements (basically, you start with barely enough humans for a squad, and you only get like 4-6 extra humans and ONLY if the first ones die... after that you're SOL. So, Aftershock feels more xCommy).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1817 on: September 15, 2012, 03:41:37 pm »

Afterlight takes place on Mars. You don't exactly have a massive disposable population to draw on. It makes you pay attention and keep your soldiers alive, rather than sending them into the meat grinder because recruits are cheap.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: September 15, 2012, 04:02:31 pm »

Afterlight takes place on Mars. You don't exactly have a massive disposable population to draw on. It makes you pay attention and keep your soldiers alive, rather than sending them into the meat grinder because recruits are cheap.

I know what's the justification. It also gives each soldier a "personality", which is kinda cool. From the gameplay point of view, it just turns the game into mandatory save-scumming.

You DO have 10,000 popsicles... they could have somehow explained that a small amount of defrosting is allowed for replacements.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:04:17 pm by Sergius »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: September 15, 2012, 04:37:00 pm »

I liked Aftermath and Aftershock, haven't played Afterlight.

I prefer them to UFO: Extraterrestrials because why would I want to play a poor XCOM Clone when I can just play XCOM, while the After series were nice being XCOM inspired, seeming more like Apocalypse which I loved.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: September 15, 2012, 05:48:49 pm »

X@COM.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: September 17, 2012, 09:46:17 pm »

Try jagged alliance, some people say 2 is the best one, also rebelstar was very fun, X-com light basically.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: September 18, 2012, 02:46:56 am »

I know what's the justification. It also gives each soldier a "personality", which is kinda cool. From the gameplay point of view, it just turns the game into mandatory save-scumming.
replacements.

nah difficulty is pretty solid. I didn't like the visual, but the game is great.

dehimos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: September 18, 2012, 11:36:09 am »

UFO: Extraterrestrials with GF-UniMod or UFO: Alien Invasion

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: September 19, 2012, 11:33:27 am »

So, now that I have the game perordered, I've been thinking.
I've decided that all my Rookies will have Red armour and Helmets. And they keep the helmets until they reach a to-be-determined rank. Probably the one above Squaddie, whichever it is (Private?). Or maybe even one more above that(Seargent). Although, they'll get promoted to a standard X-Com colour, probably a black or grey, after they hit squaddie. THEN, when they reach Lieutenant or higher, they get a custom colour.

Anyone else making plans for customization?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: September 19, 2012, 11:38:07 am »

Definitely planning on having some sort of standard colorization. Not sure exactly how that'll work yet, though. I'll probably decide once i have the game in front of me and can play around with it and see all the options.

My brain is apparently so excited for this game that I had an X-Com dream last night featuring the new game. Which is interesting, since I haven't been actively thinking about it or watching videos or anything the past few days. Heck, I'd have been expecting an FTL dream over an X-Com dream.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: September 19, 2012, 03:54:37 pm »

Yeah, I'll definitely have a 'uniform' colour that runs along all characters.

I don't like using glaring colours, though. No reds, yellows, pinks or purples for me. The whole idea of armour/uniforms in war is to help you blend in, so I'll most likely be trying to use 'urban camouflage' style colourings. Blacks or dark blues.

I likes me some realism!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: September 19, 2012, 04:00:53 pm »

Hmm, might be interesting later in the game to have two squads. One for Urban missions and one for Rural missions and UFO clean-up. You could choose appropriate classes and outfit them specifically for those types of missions.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: September 19, 2012, 04:01:48 pm »

Yeah, I'll definitely have a 'uniform' colour that runs along all characters.

I don't like using glaring colours, though. No reds, yellows, pinks or purples for me. The whole idea of armour/uniforms in war is to help you blend in, so I'll most likely be trying to use 'urban camouflage' style colourings. Blacks or dark blues.

I likes me some realism!
On the other hand, the aliens might be using infrared or just seeing so well that it doesn't matter a lot, in which case the color is irrelevant. Plus, it helps your soldiers stand out to news crews and idiot civilians. Don't you want to heroically save the world in style? :P

Hmm, might be interesting later in the game to have two squads. One for Urban missions and one for Rural missions and UFO clean-up. You could choose appropriate classes and outfit them specifically for those types of missions.
Do we know max soldier count, and is it different from squad size?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: September 19, 2012, 04:06:40 pm »

bet when you are on mars, red all the waiiii
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 625