Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 961959 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1500 on: August 30, 2012, 01:51:21 pm »

Hey, I just wanna say that XCOM's tactics are very little like a SWAT team's, since they emphasize murderizing everything they see and massive levels of property damage. They also don't have any capability to save innocents.

Really... NO ONE saw swat with taking out alien UFOs? Opening doors, throwing in the stun grenades, then running in to shoot while backup covers your rear?

Everyone... Every single person here just used ultimate power to blow everything up?

Nah, I played that way.

I also tended to avoid doing too much property damage during Terror missions, since I like to keep the civilians alive. Farm missions...not so much.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 30, 2012, 01:56:20 pm »

Speaking of, are there still civilian rescues? Other than troops survival, that was one of the few things that kept me cautious during missions. Exploding the side of a building only to find you killed a civilian was a good motivator to play carefully.

Jup, there are. They show them in the latest footage and you have to rescue them. Though, you do this by getting a soldier close to them and BAM, they run off the map. No more civy to worry about and at the same time, you can't blast the place willy-nilly because they are still cowering all over the place.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 30, 2012, 01:58:59 pm »

Hey, I just wanna say that XCOM's tactics are very little like a SWAT team's, since they emphasize murderizing everything they see and massive levels of property damage. They also don't have any capability to save innocents.

Really... NO ONE saw swat with taking out alien UFOs? Opening doors, throwing in the stun grenades, then running in to shoot while backup covers your rear?

Everyone... Every single person here just used ultimate power to blow everything up?

It's not that I didn't do that. It's that SWAT doesn't do that. Unless you're trying to take all the aliens alive, you're not operating under SWAT procedure.

Real life people who do operate that way are called soldiers. ;)
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 30, 2012, 01:59:49 pm »

Speaking of, are there still civilian rescues? Other than troops survival, that was one of the few things that kept me cautious during missions. Exploding the side of a building only to find you killed a civilian was a good motivator to play carefully.

Jup, there are. They show them in the latest footage and you have to rescue them. Though, you do this by getting a soldier close to them and BAM, they run off the map. No more civy to worry about and at the same time, you can't blast the place willy-nilly because they are still cowering all over the place.

But in the gameplay didn't it show you where all the civilians were anyway? I mean, within reason, but you could see where the majority were at the start of that mission.

My question is will they be in missions other than terror? I've not heard a mention of that yet.

Edit: I may asking be stupid questions.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:16:38 pm by dogstile »
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 31, 2012, 03:45:11 am »

But in the gameplay didn't it show you where all the civilians were anyway? I mean, within reason, but you could see where the majority were at the start of that mission.

My question is will they be in missions other than terror? I've not heard a mention of that yet.

Edit: I may asking be stupid questions.

Yeah, you can see the civvies. But if they are in the way, you won't lob a grenade at the nearby Muton. It might be collateral damage, but your superiors won't agree! ;)

There are supposed to be plenty of other missions. Ufo recovery, Terror, VIP Rescue, ... If I'm not mistaken, Jake Solomon said there were around 12 different types.
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1505 on: August 31, 2012, 04:00:41 am »

Getting more and more excited for this :)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 31, 2012, 04:03:37 am »

it is strange reusing old sci fi settings because future turned out nothing like how they imagined it.

in the marines era, the squaddie deployed to fight aliens made sense. now, if one were to imagine a xcom setting free from previous influences, it would be a future based on drones and long range precision strikes

(yeah, pretty boring, but I was not making a point for a better game)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 31, 2012, 06:21:25 am »

There are supposed to be plenty of other missions. Ufo recovery, Terror, VIP Rescue, ... If I'm not mistaken, Jake Solomon said there were around 12 different types.

Oooh, I never saw this anywhere, that sounds great!

Adding more mission objectives than "kill all aliens (save civilians, if present)" or "destroy alien HQ" is a great addition, IMO.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 31, 2012, 09:03:13 am »

it is strange reusing old sci fi settings because future turned out nothing like how they imagined it.

in the marines era, the squaddie deployed to fight aliens made sense. now, if one were to imagine a xcom setting free from previous influences, it would be a future based on drones and long range precision strikes

Actually, the SHIV has a pretty strong resemblance to the US' current ground drones, Gladiator and TALON.  It's not unthinkable that the SHIV is what unmanned drones might be like in 2015.  As for why they don't use long range strikes, I don't think "10 alien terror squad in New York, better level Manhattan to get them" would be very conducive to winning the war.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 31, 2012, 09:03:47 am »

Deploy drone, aliens deploy EMP generator, drone falls out of the sky. OOPS. (Unless drone is spectacularly well-hardened against EMP, but this is doubtful since it is controlled remotely)

Hope your guns aren't electronically fired, or their EMP generators will fry those too.

(I'm just theorizing that they would have such technology, because if I were an alien invading earth, I would definitely want to have the equivalent of an EMP generator or a constant electromagnetic field capable of disabling technology in a similar manner, which would use much more power)

Or the aliens could just detonate nukes in the upper atmosphere for the same effect across entire continents.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:06:41 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 31, 2012, 09:18:48 am »

Actually, the SHIV has a pretty strong resemblance to the US' current ground drones, Gladiator and TALON.  It's not unthinkable that the SHIV is what unmanned drones might be like in 2015.  As for why they don't use long range strikes, I don't think "10 alien terror squad in New York, better level Manhattan to get them" would be very conducive to winning the war.

Clear evidence that Microcline is one of them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 31, 2012, 09:35:01 am »

It's not that I didn't do that. It's that SWAT doesn't do that. Unless you're trying to take all the aliens alive, you're not operating under SWAT procedure.

Real life people who do operate that way are called soldiers. ;)

Exactly.

In X-Com, there was never any rappeling out of UFO ceilings, breaking large pane windows while shoving civilians to the ground and calling them "filthy criminal scum" while shooting their pets, followed by a big media circus and freezing of all assets.

We pretty much did standard soldier stuff. Open doors, disable and/or kill enemies, minimize casualties (specially squad, often civilian, and ocasionally alien ONLY if we needed them for interrogation - or for the lulz).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:38:06 am by Sergius »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 31, 2012, 10:50:26 am »

In X-Com, there was never any rappeling out of UFO ceilings, breaking large pane windows while shoving civilians to the ground and calling them "filthy criminal scum" while shooting their pets

Obviously I have a VERY VERY different idea of how the SWAT opperates then other people do.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 31, 2012, 10:56:52 am »

In X-Com, there was never any rappeling out of UFO ceilings, breaking large pane windows while shoving civilians to the ground and calling them "filthy criminal scum" while shooting their pets

Obviously I have a VERY VERY different idea of how the SWAT opperates then other people do.

LOL...

Well, if X-Com were more like swat, they would also get the address to the UFO wrong, and instead raid the nearest Chuck E Cheese and stun and capture all the kids, transfering them to the alien containment.

Obviously I'm just having some fun with SWAT... they don't do this kind of thing ALL the time. Just a lot of the time. And often for "crimes" that don't even require SWAT teams at all or even involve armed criminals.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:00:08 am by Sergius »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:22 am »

Just wanna link to a blog post about 2K's plans for XCOM at PAX. Checky here.

At the same time, the first live feed will be starting in 30 minutes. Go here. Once again, footage will be available for re-watching once the feed is over. There has been talk of seeing the PC interface in action and some multiplayer footage with the Devs. There is supposed to be a feed tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, starting at the same time as today's feed.

I'll post links to the videos and their highlights once PAX has concluded.
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 625