Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962232 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1140 on: June 05, 2012, 08:38:05 am »

Point and click makes for poor trailers, lets make one out of cutscenes!

Kinda meh.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 05, 2012, 08:53:47 am »

I have to say, while I understand cutscenes don't represent gameplay, they are part of the narritive, and I've always enjoyed a good cutscene in my games.
I always looked forward to the story segments and cutscenes in the FF games, for example.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 05, 2012, 09:43:44 am »

Yes, but a trailer composed of nothing but cutscenes still gives you no useful information.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 05, 2012, 10:12:07 am »

Yes, but at the same time, as LoSboccacc (semi-sarcastically?) pointed out, point and click does really make for poor trailers. The nature of trailers makes this a lose lose situation really, so might as well showcase some story/theme elements than nothing at all in 1.5 minutes.

Either way, this is probably my most anticipated game of the year at this point, October seems so far away.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 05, 2012, 10:42:33 am »

To give context, it's basically equivalent to this: http://www.timdenee.com/bronzemurder.html

Compared to real DF gameplay. It's showcases zero of DF's actual gameplay (or even graphics for that matter) but captivates people to try it.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 05, 2012, 10:48:18 am »

That's a good example, and brings up a great point. A 1.5 minute trailer is meant to hook new people, those of us already hooked have watched the longer gameplay trailers/interviews already, so it's just a fun tidbit to us.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 05, 2012, 11:04:59 am »

Yeah but in my opinion even as a cutscene trailer, it's kinda weak. Also, I'm not sure I like the flashy X-Com wizard/psychic, it just seem out of place. I expected psychic abilities to be more subtle.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 05, 2012, 11:11:39 am »

Yeah but in my opinion even as a cutscene trailer, it's kinda weak. Also, I'm not sure I like the flashy X-Com wizard/psychic, it just seem out of place. I expected psychic abilities to be more subtle.

Ah, ok. I'll respectfully disagree, but no point arguing over personal opinion. At the same time, the flashy-psychic thing is a bit overblown, but I'll wait and see.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 05, 2012, 11:26:32 am »

The launch of this game is going to be like a birthday for me.

...that is to say, it's literally launching on my birthday. I couldn't have asked for a better gift than one of my favorite game companies taking on one of my favorite retro games, and by all appearances doing it right for a change.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 06, 2012, 07:06:34 pm »

So your first impression of the game will be based on the fact that you're stuffed full of good food, slightly drunk, well sexed and have heaps of other cool pressies to play with as well.

I hope it lives up to how cool we're all hoping it will be.

"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to..........."  :)
It's a game. Have fun.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: June 06, 2012, 07:44:49 pm »

That sounds like a pretty good birthday.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:05 pm »

I always thought that was what birthdays were about. Food, grog, sex and presents. Not necessarily in that order.

I'd actually hope that Xcom isn't too good, otherwise Solifuge might miss out on too much of the above. Although, if I could manage to fit all that in while sitting at my computer desk playing a good game, I would think that all my birthdays had come at once. Even if it wasn't my birthday.
It's a game. Have fun.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: June 06, 2012, 11:59:29 pm »

I've had and cooked good food, gotten presents, and been drunk on various birthdays, but I can't say I've ever had sex on one.

Even so, if I could pick between having sex or having XCOM for my birthday, I'd probably go with the later.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: June 07, 2012, 12:02:32 am »

I've had and cooked good food, gotten presents, and been drunk on various birthdays, but I can't say I've ever had sex on one.

Even so, if I could pick between having sex or having XCOM for my birthday, I'd probably go with the later.
Brother, we may live in the same state, but we are so very far apart. I mean, if it's going to take so long that you won't have time to play XCOM later all freaking 24 hours of your birthday...why wouldn't you? :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: June 07, 2012, 12:14:36 am »

We'll just assume that he meant "actual sex" rather than the other sorts. After all, it may be hard to see the screen or control what you're doing in any other position than doggy. Oral sex is great, and quite possible whilst playing turn based games. Hard to have a beer and eat some food at the same time, but the sex+games part is possible.

If you do manage it though, I'd be impressed. From any perspective. Xcom is better than sex. Xcom is better during sex. Xcom is great while you're getting a blowy as you drink a beer and chomp down some pizza.

Man, you should be an advertising agent for Firaxis. I want to play Xcom now :)

(note to self:  I forget what the hell I did to deserve what I got, but I'm damn well going to do it again. After Xcom is released. Probably.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:22:40 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 625