Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962324 times)

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1020 on: May 25, 2012, 01:13:09 am »

Look at how WWI was originally called "The Great War". Not because it was fun or awesome, but because it was the bloodiest, most miserable, most widespread conflict the world had yet seen. I can only imagine that an alien invasion would put WWI or II to shame.

What I'm trying to say is that I wished if they would focus a lot more on the psichological aspect of the war, though it's not like it's bad that they didn't, I still love what I see.
Well, I know one of the articles mentioned your soldiers panicking when things start to go bad, with voice clips begging for their mothers or sobbing hysterically. Perhaps one of the base structures you can build is a psychologist's office.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally, I'm rather looking forward to the breakdowns, especially if they have ones for agents who are being/have just been MCed.

I'm just expecting to see this as a daily psichological situation, not just breakdowns, you know, what you would expect from fighting unknown superior species that can take any form if needed and can control minds: paranoia, schizophrenia and fear in the cutscenes, not just battles. But whatever they'll do is good enough, in the end I'll play it for gameplay.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 25, 2012, 02:04:56 am »

I am to some degree liking how this looks but these alien redesigns are not doing it for me.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 25, 2012, 02:13:56 am »

I am to some degree liking how this looks but these alien redesigns are not doing it for me.

I think the issue is that for the most part the redesigns are too Videogamey/Hollywood.

The original designs were steriotypical but interesting. Heck the Sectarians were my favorite aliens but now they are ruined (They arn't supposed to be creepy... DANG IT DEVELOPERS!)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 25, 2012, 02:25:57 am »

They've definitely went for a more feral, animalistic angle with the current designs. Not quite sure which one I prefer, will have to see them in motion and how they act.

Maybe Cujo was an undercover chrysalid.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 25, 2012, 02:34:20 am »

Well one issue Delta is that the Sectarians held a unique possition in the game. I love how once they actually started to fight back in the original Xcom that they often become more dangerous then all the others even the Chrysalids (sometimes).

How unique to the new Xcom are they?

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 25, 2012, 05:33:52 am »

XCOM Dive Deeper Video 2 is up. Talks mainly about the base and it shows a sectoid in alien containment, which was pretty cool.

Also another movie over at G4TV that deals with classes and combat.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:35:29 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 25, 2012, 08:58:57 am »

XCOM Dive Deeper Video 2 is up. Talks mainly about the base and it shows a sectoid in alien containment, which was pretty cool.

Also another movie over at G4TV that deals with classes and combat.

That muton really acted as if he was some gang member locked up in jail, all animal-like and stupid. Also, what does the superiorly intelligent sectoid want from shouting at that inbreakable glass thing? They're all like they're gonna have a cage fight and are taunting their foes. Yep, them alien designs are pretty un-creppy.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 25, 2012, 11:48:00 am »

I have to say, I'm really, really glad I didn't play the original X-Com until the last year or two, because I have non of the related nostalgia, and am just completly pumped for this new game, because it looks awesome.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 25, 2012, 12:16:15 pm »

Part 3 of the RPS articles that lordcooper already referred to is up.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 25, 2012, 01:28:27 pm »

I have to say, I'm really, really glad I didn't play the original X-Com until the last year or two, because I have non of the related nostalgia, and am just completly pumped for this new game, because it looks awesome.

Ohh I knew Xcom was dead during Xcom 3 anyhow.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 25, 2012, 04:49:27 pm »

I am pumped up for it too, even though I played the original since I was in primary school, the sequel still pumps me up. I don't see how it could be not enjoyable, despite not being the way I wanted it to. Oblivion wasn't the way I wanted to be (I wanted it to be just like Morrowind), but it doesn't mean I hated it or that I didn't dump a few hundred hours of my useless life into it.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 25, 2012, 05:12:37 pm »

Many of us have got some pretty nostalgic reasons to look out for the new Xcom. I was 14 years old when the first one came out. I have to admit, that even back then, the graphics weren't that good, the sound wasn't great, the story-line wasn't fantastic (you just did research), but at the time it seemed like a great game. There also wasn't too much other stuff available like it at the time (Laser Squad is the only one that springs to mind).

So maybe we expect too much of the new Xcom. I can't really expect them to not change a few things. Hell, I've changed a few things in the intervening years. My computer now rocks, with a nice sound setup, a good graphics card, a sweet internet connection and a big HDD. I'd kind of feel ripped off if they didn't change a few things about the old game.

Maybe. I actually played Xcom 1 quite recently. I also played X@com quite recently. Even without the aid of my rose-tinted glasses they were quite fun. Maybe Firaxis could have saved themselves a shit-load of money and just released a patch or a new box. No-one would be able to complain that they ruined the original and we could all marvel at the game-play and mechanics. I actually would have probably bought it
It's a game. Have fun.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 25, 2012, 07:27:14 pm »

Honestly, if they did a graphical update and nothing else, people would be like, "Yeah, that's pretty cool. I'm okay with this."
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 25, 2012, 09:04:35 pm »

That'd be totally fine with me. I remember my main struggle with figuring out how to play X-COM was figuring out what the goddamn battlescape buttons did, because they were all so small and indecipherable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 25, 2012, 11:26:55 pm »

Ohh I knew Xcom was dead during Xcom 3 anyhow.

If by XCOM 3 you mean XCOM Apocalypse, sir, I have to challenge you to bloody duel and only one will stand in the end :p

But yeah, you people are complaining about new designs too much. Think of reimagining as separate game and don't think its trying to be the original and things should be fine.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 625