Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 962319 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #1005 on: May 23, 2012, 05:29:54 am »

Ok, ok, I know that its for gameplay reasons. But you have to get promoted to use a rocket launcher? That might make it annoying when your super-elite heavy dies in later game and you're reduced to a standard machine-gun (rather that a heavy plasma or blaster launcher). Perhaps there's some good reasons to spread a bit of mission experience around in this version.

Then again, it kind of seemed weird in the original that you had to buy your own basic weapons as well. I know you had a budget, I know you didn't exactly have the whole world's support, but couldn't they have given you a few spare M16s and RPG rockets for christ's sake? You're saving the world FFS.

I guess the promotion requirement sort of makes sense in some ways. I wouldn't really want GI Noob carting around an explosive device beside me if the aliens might take control of his mind at any moment. I might not be quite as worried if the guy with the RL had already seen a bit of action against the mind-slurping gribblies from beyond. It sounds strange from a game or real-life standpoint, even kids could fire a LAW or RPG if they had too (although accuracy and ammo weight might be a problem), but the paranoia and safety concerns of your own soldiers and Xcom as a whole sort of makes it believable.

I wonder if they'll be showing the secret-war, "We must not be found" sort of thing, or even have a slight sense of atmosphere that even Xcom might not trust Xcom sometimes. Psi-use and mind-infiltration would certainly bring out the suspicion in any organisation if it was a fact of daily life.
It's a game. Have fun.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 23, 2012, 01:13:13 pm »

Maybe they can use it if they find it, but they can't take one from the armory? Or something.

Apparently your armory is unlimited and has enough of everything (that is researched, I suppose), but you just can't equip soldiers with gear they aren't authorized to use.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 23, 2012, 01:30:32 pm »

you just can't equip soldiers with gear they aren't authorized to use.

It might make sense to see it as training rather than authorization.  Ol' Sam McGee sure has performed well lately, let's put him forward for advanced training.

E: Part 2 of the RPS hands-on.

When new research is possible, a scientist will actually ask you to pop by the labs and then talk you through your options. There’s a fantastic discussion about stunning live aliens – the head of research imploring you to send a soldier up close to zap a sectoid and then a military chap butting in and telling her she’s bonkers and imploring you to do no such thing.

That made me ridiculously happy for some reason.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:43:58 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: May 23, 2012, 01:47:13 pm »

Yeah, most standard-issue humans won't be hauling around a large rocket launcher, capable of snap-fire without much setup time, along with at least a couple rockets, and still be able to sprint at high speed while carrying all their other things.  X-Com doesn't sound like it gets involved in operations where they have the time to set up artillery, and a guy who can use that rocket launcher like it was just a spare rifle or something sure sounds like an elite soldier to me.

EDIT:  Did that say the next part would talk about...base invasions?  Oh happy day!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:55:42 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 24, 2012, 02:44:56 am »

Some more (late-game) footage. SPOILER ALERT. Late-game armour, guns and enemies (XCOM Vets, it has the grinning terror in it ...). Still, if you want to limit your pre-game-knowledge, do not watch.

Everyone else, click here. Want some more spoiler? Watch here too. This one has less footage and more interview.

Also a small preview courtesy of The Escapist. And one by Gametrailers.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:21:32 am by Dohon »
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 24, 2012, 03:14:01 pm »

Nice. Very, very nice. Want. Very, very want.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 24, 2012, 03:31:44 pm »

I generally liked everything except maybe two things:

Aliens being more like animals than aliens (if I recall correctly, they were hissing?), it kinda takes away the terrifying mistyque from them that they had in the original. They were speechless, hard to understand creatures, showing no emotion. That's right up in the uncanny valley (also, I've already said that I don't prefer their design). I still love what I see and read.

The immersion thing with cutscenes was great, but one thing that sounded phony to me was that characters reffered to the war as "The Great Invasion". This sounds like some invasion in a fantasy book, I mean what we have is "Oh look, there are alie-- HOLY SHIT, MY MOM'S SOME SORT OF ZOMBIE NOW!!!". I think that "The Great Invasion" should be reserved for a normal terrestrial war, while the war with the aliens should be mystical and psichologically difficult, with soldiers and personel developing paranoia and stuff instead of talking about what a nice great invasion we've got there. Just my opinion.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 24, 2012, 03:47:25 pm »

Great can mean 'big' as well as 'awesome'.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 24, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »

Look at how WWI was originally called "The Great War". Not because it was fun or awesome, but because it was the bloodiest, most miserable, most widespread conflict the world had yet seen. I can only imagine that an alien invasion would put WWI or II to shame.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 24, 2012, 04:02:11 pm »

Some more (late-game) footage. SPOILER ALERT. Late-game armour, guns and enemies (XCOM Vets, it has the grinning terror in it ...). Still, if you want to limit your pre-game-knowledge, do not watch.

Everyone else, click here. Want some more spoiler? Watch here too. This one has less footage and more interview.

Also a small preview courtesy of The Escapist. And one by Gametrailers.

Aieee! That awful alien with the scary bug eye is going to eat my spleen! What the... oh wait, that's the narrator.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27:16 pm »

I don't really like the Floater design. Maybe its the distinct lack of capes. The sectoids look fine though.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 24, 2012, 10:05:04 pm »

I liked the feeling in the old game that the aliens felt cold, detached, in control somehow. Emotionless, no nonsense.

The new game's aliens are very much a different kind of monster, stylistically, that's for sure.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 24, 2012, 11:27:41 pm »

Look at how WWI was originally called "The Great War". Not because it was fun or awesome, but because it was the bloodiest, most miserable, most widespread conflict the world had yet seen. I can only imagine that an alien invasion would put WWI or II to shame.

What I'm trying to say is that I wished if they would focus a lot more on the psichological aspect of the war, though it's not like it's bad that they didn't, I still love what I see.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 24, 2012, 11:30:19 pm »

What I'm trying to say is that I wished if they would focus a lot more on the psichological aspect of the war, though it's not like it's bad that they didn't, I still love what I see.
Well, I know one of the articles mentioned your soldiers panicking when things start to go bad, with voice clips begging for their mothers or sobbing hysterically. Perhaps one of the base structures you can build is a psychologist's office.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 25, 2012, 12:16:55 am »

Well, I know one of the articles mentioned your soldiers panicking when things start to go bad, with voice clips begging for their mothers or sobbing hysterically. Perhaps one of the base structures you can build is a psychologist's office.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally, I'm rather looking forward to the breakdowns, especially if they have ones for agents who are being/have just been MCed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 625