Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 846

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1324778 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #1125 on: July 14, 2013, 08:00:30 am »

I think it actually kinda looks like a bat. I tought the bottom-left thingie was a wing. Really cute-looking either way c:

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 14, 2013, 02:20:00 pm »

I made a simple dice roller for playing pen&paper RPGs, since I am too cheap to buy them at a game store.

It can roll and sum any combination between 0 and 10 of D4, D6, D8, D10, D12, and D20.
Observe!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sourcecode needs some cleanup, but meh.

Next up on the To-Do list:
AD&D 2E automatic character generator

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 14, 2013, 03:05:40 pm »

I made a simple dice roller for playing pen&paper RPGs, since I am too cheap to buy them at a game store.

It can roll and sum any combination between 0 and 10 of D4, D6, D8, D10, D12, and D20.
Observe!

Sourcecode needs some cleanup, but meh.

Next up on the To-Do list:
AD&D 2E automatic character generator
thats awesome, i've made a di roller before but only for a max of two dice.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 14, 2013, 04:40:01 pm »

Some of the "advanced" character generation methods used by AD&D 2E need 12 D6 throws!  It's a trivial matter to extend the number of dice thrown for my program, due to how I structured it. The issue I would have the most difficulty with, would be keeping the output window readable with more thrown like that. 10 of each kind basically fills up the whole line as is.

This was a code-testing applet, to test out the die throw routine I cooked up, before inclusion into the automatic character generation applet.

The goal of the chargen applet is pretty straight-forward. It will have a starting form that has 6 buttons, for character generation methods 1 through 6, then sub forms for each of those to set all the attribute scores, screen for class candidacies, apply bonuses, and finally, generate a brand new character sheet ready for printing.

Character generation takes so damned long, so I thought I would make something to speed it up. (I dont like spending hours waiting for somebody to get it "just right". Clicking on "roll" a bunch of times until numbers they like come out is much faster.)

Why AD&D 2E, and not 3.5, or 4?  Because I like the relaxed ruleset of the older version, that's why, and I am in the midst of creating a campaign that uses it, for that very reason. (2E is before WotC got their grimy hentai tentacles into it. 2E worlds don.t have to fit in with the 'cannon' WotC planes of reality or total world view, since it predates it.) If somebody *really* wants a character generator for 3.5 or 4, I might be coaxed into making one, but not until after I do the 2E one.

The simple dice roller is done though. I don't have a place to upload it, or I would share. It's fully functional as-is.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 15, 2013, 12:29:04 am »

I... desperately need to learn how to make that program. Or, more accurately, one that shares many features with it. Please, tell me where I might study this art without paying dollars for it. I don't know how to GUI.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 15, 2013, 04:40:12 am »

I... desperately need to learn how to make that program. Or, more accurately, one that shares many features with it. Please, tell me where I might study this art without paying dollars for it. I don't know how to GUI.

Judging by the icon it's Visual Basic. Which isn't free. And, without meaning to offend wierd, it sucks. The only other GUI I have experience with is Delphi, which sucks a lot more.

Learning a new programming language is an effort. You will get a lot of value out of it by learning Python. Easy to use, versatile, and, though I haven't tried it yet, has many GUI Plug-Ins. For example gui2py looks like a good place to start.
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 15, 2013, 10:44:12 am »

Oh, no offense taken!

Visual Basic is the McDonalds of programming languages.  Slow, bloated, and filled with empty calories.

However, since this isn't mission critical, isn't for production, and all that fun stuff-- it works just fine.

It's like using a scripting language to do the same thing-- Essentially, the equivalent of Python calling GTK libs for a GUI on Linux.  It's bloated, carries around the weight of an interpreter (.NET on windows.. Blach), and some snobby programmers insist it isn't "Real Programming".  (Never mind that most of THOSE people are hypocrites anyway, since they dont program in straight assembler and instead make use of higher level abstracted  languages, like C, and some even lug around a whole virtual machine, like Java programmers!)

Just use the right tool for the job. If all you need is basically a calculator app, why lug around a java VM, or expend extra effort using C, and manually calling all the common controls libraries when you can just use VB, and get the crappy program you need in just an hour or so? (Likewise with a python script calling GTK or QT libs on linux.)

If I wanted this to "Run everywhere!" I would use Javascript, and make it a web app. There's nothing in that dice roller that needs something else, and it would be quite painless to port to Javascript. But, I didnt want to lug around a browser. :D  Javascript in a simple browser runs more places than the JVM these days (like say, my friend's ancient collection of Windows Mobile based pocket PCs, which CANT use modern JVMs, Or, in the built In Opera browser on a Wii), and is less resource hungry, but is slower. (though with modern browsers, that's questionable.)

I didnt need it to run everywhere-- I wanted it to run on a crappy windows netbook I have floating around here. It doesnt have to be fast, and it doesnt really NEED to be written in C.  VB was just fine for what it is, and what it does.

But you are right-- VB DOES suck.  It has all kinds of limitations and foibles, and produces software that reeks of being off the discount rack.  That's fine, that's what I wanted in this case. :D

Learning a programming language isn't so hard. Learning the vast collection of standardized libraries used in a particular architecture? THAT'S HARD.  Once you have seen about 3 kinds of calling convention, you can basically read anything. Except PERL. It's evil.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 16, 2013, 04:27:29 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 18, 2013, 12:36:00 am »

Nice :D  I love the details and the flow.  Especially the sort of "organic" feel to it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 19, 2013, 12:52:07 am »

I made a comic about my favorite game series! :D I think it's pretty good! Please rate and fave if you like. DO NOT STEAL.

Special thanks to Ѽapples to her help with the linework!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:57:00 am by freeformschooler »

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 19, 2013, 01:01:10 am »

wut
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 19, 2013, 01:04:53 am »

why
It's FEF, not FEOF

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 19, 2013, 01:18:02 am »

I fell somehow responsible for this

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 19, 2013, 01:22:37 am »

I think you misspelled Sanic there
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 19, 2013, 01:28:55 am »

Later that day, freeformschooler received a call from SEGA Corporation.

"Hello, is this freeformschooler? From the internet?"
"Yes hello! What can I do for you?"
"We saw your comic and thought, 'we really need a guy like that on board.'"
freeformschooler always knew this day would come, but he did not get too hyped up because it would look bad in a job interview. Instead he said:
"Thank you. Is this for the new Sonic and Zelda crossover fighting game?"
SEGA smiled. SEGA already knew this was the guy for the job. His brilliant ideas only solidified SEGA's assumptions. SEGA replied:
"Yes. Yes, freeformschooler, you will be designing the new Sonic and Zelda Bros Video Game. Welcome aboard."
All prepubescent video game fans simultaneously shed a single tear of joy. Later, freeformschooler would be promoted head of SEGA where he would invent such innovating titles as Puyo Puyo Mario, Shining Fiery Emblem Force and Sonic the Hedgehog All-stars Boxing.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 846