Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Square ASCII graphics?  (Read 4305 times)

ion25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Square ASCII graphics?
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:33:12 pm »

As I was carving out my 22x22 dining hall, I noticed for the billionth time that the ASCII tiles weren't...square. I actually sorta like the ASCII, after I while of playing with it I've grown attached to it. But, the stupid things aren't square. If somebody would tell me where I could get a SQUARE ASCII tileset, or at least tell me how to make the default ASCII square, that would be amazing.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Square ASCII graphics?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:37:37 pm »

Its defiantly possible!

I dont know, just sit tie when someone who does, comes by.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:38:02 pm »

Change the windowed resolution to 800x600 in data/init.txt. Everything will look so much better.

On a related note, why in the hell isn't this the default?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:54:45 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

ion25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:47:14 pm »

Change the resolution to 800x600 in data/init.txt. Everything will look so much better.

It was already 800x600...of course I might be looking at the wrong thing. Did you mean [FULLFONT:curses_800x600.png]?
EDIT: I found it, and it makes the game look great! Thanks man!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:50:11 pm by ion25 »

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:52:13 pm »

to make the tiles square change either [FULLFONT:curses_800x600.png] (for full screen) or [FONT:curses_640x300.png] (for windowed) to [FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.png] or [FONT:curses_square_16x16.png] respectively

these lines can be found in the init.txt in the data\init\ folder

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 11:59:03 pm »

Change the windowed resolution to 800x600 in data/init.txt. Everything will look so much better.

Maybe Toady thought rectangles looked better. I do.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 02:03:05 am »

I play with Square tiles. 12x12.

Alloy
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 09:56:17 am »

I think non-square is just the tradition from curses.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:06:23 am »

Although it does give them the beards...

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 12:42:04 am »

I think non-square is just the tradition from curses.

Basically...I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the old terminals curses was designed for weren't designed for gaming, they were designed for work and someone at some point decided that fixed-width rectangular text was the easiest thing to read that they could still easily get on screen.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 09:09:49 am »

Basically...I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the old terminals curses was designed for weren't designed for gaming, they were designed for work...

And who are you, sir, to come and destroy my childhood myths? I thought people work only to have time to sit down and play... and that the driving force behind computer development was always the desire to whack someone's head with a well implemented virtual battle axe.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 02:41:27 pm »

Basically...I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the old terminals curses was designed for weren't designed for gaming, they were designed for work...

And who are you, sir, to come and destroy my childhood myths? I thought people work only to have time to sit down and play... and that the driving force behind computer development was always the desire to whack someone's head with a well implemented virtual battle axe.

No, no, you misunderstand.  The original purpose of the computer was to whack someone over the head with a well implemented real artillery strike.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 04:32:18 pm »

No, no, you misunderstand.  The original purpose of the computer was to whack someone over the head with a well implemented real artillery strike.

impossible! everyone knows that Dwarf Fortress predates creation itself!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 12:01:14 pm »

I prefer the cooz 16x16 tile set
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 02:41:13 am »

The wiki has a few square tilesets, in a few sizes and styles:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository#Square_tilesets

There should be one you like in there, my preference is Cheepicus: http://df.magmawiki.com/images/c/c0/Cheepicus_12x12.png
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:42:58 am by O11O1 »
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...
Pages: [1] 2