Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753032 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7275 on: October 25, 2012, 10:44:33 pm »

It will eventually come back to haunt them, I assure you. Even many conservative Americans won't settle for far-right instead of center-right.

We're already starting to see some of it, what with all the recent gaffes concerning rape and abortion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: October 25, 2012, 10:50:04 pm »

Except the Republican's haven't been bickering lately. They've been marching in lockstep. It's actually pretty impressive. Driving out many of the moderates has certainly helped them.

If they've been marching in such lockstep then why have they struggled to get legislation out of committees, let alone get it voted on in the house and sent to the Senate?  They look like lockstep because they are all uniformly ideological but that doesn't mean they are remotely good at working together.  I'd say that far from being lockstep, they're actually the most poorly organized house majority in decades.  Besides the repeal of Obamacare, can you name a single major legislative proposal that originated in the House and not the Senate or White House in the past two years?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: October 26, 2012, 05:41:39 am »

They don't have the numbers to propose their own measures but they do have the party unity required to block almost every democratic measure.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: October 26, 2012, 07:05:23 am »

They don't have the numbers to propose their own measures
???
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: October 26, 2012, 07:07:50 am »

Or more specifically - they are lockstep on one issue, and one issue alone. Seeing Obama doesn't get re-elected and fails to accomplish anything.

Everything beyond that... well... you're certainly right there. They may not be able to agree on what they want, but they don't seem to have any disagreement on what they need to do (or, at the very least, the disagreement doesn't seem to be changing their votes)

That sounds a lot like you've got a variety of Republicans with differing ideals and the high party discipline to do what the party says when they demand it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:09:33 am by GlyphGryph »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: October 26, 2012, 08:57:13 am »

The numbers required to block measures in the Senate is lower than the number required to actually get them passed, right?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: October 26, 2012, 09:02:23 am »

Yes. Even one rogue Senator can instigate a filibusterer, which can only be overridden if three-fifths of Senators in attendance vote to cloture it. This usually requires 60 Senators, as it is unlikely for any of them to ever willingly not attend during legislative sessions. Filibusters have no time limit and can completely kill a proposal they are not clotured.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #7282 on: October 26, 2012, 09:27:52 am »

The problem with the filibuster is that they decided it was damn inconvenient to have to stand around all day and talk. So they changed the rules to allow a procedural filibuster without the effort.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: October 26, 2012, 09:35:11 am »

One might claim that such a thing is bad because it allows filibusterers to be conducted without difficulty and stalls legislation through stubbornness, but the real reason it is bad is because it means there are no more incidents of epic floor-holding anymore.

Strom Thurmond was a racist bastard, but you have to admit that talking for 24 hours straight on the floor to oppose the Civil Rights Act was an impressive feat.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: October 26, 2012, 10:11:48 am »

I blame Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. That movie, which seems to have been played in all middle/high school civics/government classrooms for the past 50 years, makes the filibuster seem heroic.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: October 26, 2012, 10:20:53 am »

Of course, that movie is also about a very different sort of filibuster, as has been mentioned.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: October 26, 2012, 10:31:27 am »

I thought filibuster was a loophole in the system that got exploited.

I didn't think it was something that was considered GOOD and PROPER and was ENCOURAGED. x-x
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7287 on: October 26, 2012, 10:34:15 am »

I think the democrats should throw the election. Consider; the next four years are going to see more stagnant economy, increasing gas prices, and the us leaving the middle east in humiliating defeat. In the very near future, the automatic cuts are going to go into effect which will collapse support for the president amongst the military.

All this put together, the only upside to being president for the next four years is that the secret service makes really good coffee.

Oh, there's concerns that Romney is going to mandate oil drilling at gay marriages or invade abortion clinics with death squads or something, but frankly he doesn't have the power. As soon as they're on the defensive, the democrats will block all republican actions indefinitely, as is ancient custom.

Then, when the four years are up, Obama can be the first black president to serve non-consecutive terms, or maybe Oprah will run.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: October 26, 2012, 10:39:55 am »

No, the filibuster was put there on purpose so that it would be fairly easy to block controversial legislation if you didn't have large enough support for it.

That said, the type of filibuster they have now where they don't even bother to actually filibuster is complete BS.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: October 26, 2012, 10:48:35 am »

The filibuster was originally a delaying tactic. It could buy you time and apply pressure - nothing more. It gave individual legislators the opportunity to prevent rushing terrible bills through the legal system. It gave them a chance to build public support, to draw things out into the open, to make people actually stop and think, hopefully, or at the very least to give someone a chance to change minds.

But it had a built in limit - a person's willpower. They could slow something, thy could make it more difficult, but they could not stop it.

This "new" filibuster is nothing like that. It's a solid, impossible to overcome clampdown.
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 714