Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753896 times)

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #6450 on: October 11, 2012, 10:07:41 pm »

CBS Snap Poll:
Biden won.
Biden 50%
Ryan  31%
Undecided 19%

I really wish other Dems would realize that when they fight back, they do better than when they're cowering like the stereotypical nerd being beaten up by the schoolyard bully.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: October 11, 2012, 10:16:27 pm »

I thought Joe started out kind of weak and on the defense, but as it went on it became more obvious that Paul Ryan didn't actually have any real answers and was just throwing numbers and blame around. Granted, Biden threw some numbers around too and they sounded only slightly less silly than Ryan's but it was really the end that drew it up for me. "Candidates, why you gotta be so mean?" They both dodged the real question, but Ryan just went off on a complete segue and just started spouting every talking point he hadn't gotten to yet. Although I thought Joe clearly checking off an item on his list as he said "47%" was a bit overt.

It ain't subtely it's politrics.  It's as subtle as I am sober. 
Wait, less .
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: October 11, 2012, 10:40:41 pm »

CBS Snap Poll:
Biden won.
Biden 50%
Ryan  31%
Undecided 19%

I really wish other Dems would realize that when they fight back, they do better than when they're cowering like the stereotypical nerd being beaten up by the schoolyard bully.

To be fair there's also a CNN poll showing a slight advantage to Ryan. Personally the only place I found Biden to be weaker was on the Benghazi incident, and he did kinda interrupt Ryan and the moderator often which was more annoying although I understand his frustration there. Ryan's various non responses to policy issues were... kinda what bugs me about the Republican party in general but Romney/Ryan in particular.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: October 11, 2012, 10:43:18 pm »

The CNN poll was of all voters, the CBS was of actual undecideds, FWIW.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: October 11, 2012, 10:44:47 pm »

The thing with Biden interrupting was that Obama proved that was the only way to get Romney-Ryan to stop hogging every minute of the debate with meaningless rhetoric and mudslinging. At the very least they should put their plans out there as a contrast to Obama.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: October 11, 2012, 10:49:44 pm »

At the very least they should put their plans out there as a contrast to Obama.

Yeah, this.  I really hope Obama harps on this in the next debate.  Romney has "won" a debate but we still don't know what the hell his goddamn platform is.]

Totally forgot.  Joe Biden made the best fucking meta joke in the history of politics: "Oh, now you're Jack Kennedy?"  TROLOLOL!

People forget that Biden is really, really smart.  He is just in a job where showing off what a brainiac he is wouldn't be too good a move.  But he's got it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:00:54 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: October 12, 2012, 01:43:19 am »

Oh damn....  I laughed out loud when Ryan said that he could bring "Honesty" as a person at the white house.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #6457 on: October 12, 2012, 01:47:05 am »

Why have I not seen Biden kick so much ass before?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: October 12, 2012, 01:56:05 am »

Neither side impressed me of course. (Down with the two party failfest please) However, was it just me or did Ryan come off as sounding like he thought the cold war was still happening? Fair bit of an "Anti Russia" Stance in the Afghanistan discussion.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: October 12, 2012, 02:27:21 am »

I did, when I watched his debate with Palin four years ago. :P

Oh damn....  I laughed out loud when Ryan said that he could bring "Honesty" as a person at the white house.
Same thing here.  ;D

The moderator was so much better than Lehrer, too. She actually stopped them from going endlessly on about the same thing and made them move onto new subjects, and asked directed/useful questions, instead of asking "What are the differences between you?" repeatedly.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:31:35 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: October 12, 2012, 08:10:09 am »

I actually didn't like the way the moderator handled things... I don't think she was trying to come off as biased... but until Ryan just stopped answering and she called him on it, every question seemed like "Mr. Biden, you screwed up, what do you have to say for yourself. And Mr Ryan, how would you do better?"

I admit... it's a fair question... but the phrasing was bad for a debate, I think.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: October 12, 2012, 09:36:28 am »

I did, when I watched his debate with Palin four years ago. :P

To be fair I could have kicked ass debating Palin.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: October 12, 2012, 09:46:50 am »

Scamps would still have destroyed both Biden and Ryan. There's a reason he wasn't invited. Tell me, how is batting a ball around a circle NOT the better than their statements on how to fix the economy.

2012 Vice Presidential Debates? Scamps win, and he wasn't even there.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: October 12, 2012, 09:47:18 am »

I actually didn't like the way the moderator handled things... I don't think she was trying to come off as biased... but until Ryan just stopped answering and she called him on it, every question seemed like "Mr. Biden, you screwed up, what do you have to say for yourself. And Mr Ryan, how would you do better?"

I thought her moderating really helped Biden.  She didn't give Ryan any room to squirm.  Biden was totally fine with having his feet held to the fire.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: October 12, 2012, 12:23:21 pm »

Idk why people care about the debates, it's basically just reality TV type theatrics.

Words carry no weight, especially not from a political figure. I'd place far more importance on their actions rather then how polished their rehearsed rhetoric and half-memorized statistics are.
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 714