Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 754976 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5865 on: September 28, 2012, 12:52:21 pm »

Its possible. However granting every household a handout that would place them the at the poverty line would take 20something% of taxable personal income, give or take. I've calculated that before, but I don't have any references handy.

Seriously? The personal poverty line is only 11k (lower, I think, the more people you have in the family - I guess it's assumed your sharing resources) and honestly, if everybody's getting this we probably won't need to give everyone that much (less people desperate enough to pull off 80 hour workweeks means more jobs, and the ability to survive on partial employment and the power to negotiate more pay for it). I'd argue that having it at, say, half the poverty line would be more than enough to bring almost everyone past the poverty line (and give freedom and flexibility to those who remain, allowing them opportunity to live within their means)

Edit: Sorry for double post, I was absolutely sure someone was gonna ninja me again.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:57:57 pm by GlyphGryph »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5866 on: September 28, 2012, 01:00:22 pm »

I'd have probably have to dig up some numbers and do it all over again, but there are something like 90 million households in the US with an average household size of 3ish. The poverty level varies by size of household. And I do not recall if my figure for total personal income was just wages or included all forms of income. I believe the number I used was about $20k per household but its kinda sketchy based on foggy memory.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: September 28, 2012, 01:01:41 pm »

(I think if someone wants to tighten the belt in other areas to push more of the money into starting a business, they should be allowed to).
Hrm, fair point.

I was only really advocating limiting what you can spend this stuff on out of precedent (IE, food stamps). Whatever benefit that might have could very well be outweighed by all the bureaucratic nonsense that would be required though (which would of course increase costs and potentially inhibit valid uses, such as business starting), so I'm not very adamant about it.

(if anyone has more to say I do suggest moving to a different thread, as we've derailed quite far off elections by this point :P )
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: September 28, 2012, 01:07:09 pm »

Well, the only thing they need is shelter and food to survive...  If they have an income, slash the payout in proportion.
The problem with that is if you get a 100 dollars without working, and get a 100 dollars for working, which are you going to choose?

If it was like, 50% or something, so if you make a hundred dollars, you get 150, then I can see it working.

(This is just examples, don't you dare jump on me about the numbers I used! D:<)

E: Note, I would PREFER if everyone got the flat 100, whether they worked for another 100, 1 000, or 1 000 000, but at least this way is more palatable and can lead to a flat 100.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:10:54 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: September 28, 2012, 01:12:25 pm »

On the other hand. 20% doesn't sound all that terrible, especially when you consider that's probably going to be a progressive number rather than a flat number.

Costs
311,591,917 (pop) x 11,000 (poverty line) = 3,427,511,087,000
Roughly 3.43 trillion dollars

Requires
$27,334 (average per capita income) x 311,591,917 (pop) = 8,517,053,459,278
Roughly 8.52 trillion dollars.

That's actually roughly 40% of income. Of course, this means that the average person pays, into the system, a net amount of nothing, since they will both pay and receive 11k, while the richest will be paying (almost) the full 20%.

It looks like you'd be paying out a lot of money at first glance, but unless your uberwealthy, most of it would be coming back to you - and if you're uberwealthy, a 20% tax rate doesn't seem too bad.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: September 28, 2012, 01:13:43 pm »

US progressive politicians are frigid towards the idea of reforming welfare because they got burned on welfare reforms in the mid 90s.  Welfare reform was supposed to be a bi-partisan way to get rid of freeloaders without hurting the needy.  But the problem is that freeloaders are few and far between, so it mostly just amounted to a system to make the poor jump through more humiliating hoops.  The conservatives have if anything grown less inclined to help the poor since then.  So another welfare reform is impossible, conservatives just want to slash, progressives feel once bitten twice shy.

The problem with that is if you get a 100 dollars without working, and get a 100 dollars for working, which are you going to choose?

There's a solution to that, you phase out the benefits gradually so that the benefits disappear more slowly then your earnings increase.  It is most notable in the Earned Income Tax Credit although that does have a little of the perverse incentive you noted.  Progressive want to reform the EIC to eliminate more of this perverse incentive and conservatives, predictably, want to increase the perverse incentive in order to get rid of the lucky duckies not paying income taxes.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: September 28, 2012, 01:16:01 pm »

I've always wanted something like that.

Of course, I usually go a step further and said that an internet connection is basically a requirement for modern life at this point.

Not many people agree with me on that last bit, but honestly? Free, easy information, everywhere wants you to apply online, and so many people communicate mostly or entirely online...

E: Mainiac, uh... That sounds... pretty much exactly what my latter half of my post was talking about?
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: September 28, 2012, 01:17:46 pm »

Yes it was now that you mention it.  Still, good to mention the real world example I guess.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: September 28, 2012, 01:19:04 pm »

True.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5874 on: September 28, 2012, 01:46:18 pm »

Well, the only thing they need is shelter and food to survive...  If they have an income, slash the payout in proportion.

If it was like, 50% or something, so if you make a hundred dollars, you get 150, then I can see it working.

(This is just examples, don't you dare jump on me about the numbers I used! D:<)

E: Note, I would PREFER if everyone got the flat 100, whether they worked for another 100, 1 000, or 1 000 000, but at least this way is more palatable and can lead to a flat 100.

Hoooold on there, that's too simple of an example. Yes, if you could get $100 an hour for not working OR $100 an hour for working, then you would not work. But that assumes that those are the only options. What if your choices were $100 a year for not working or $20,000 a year, with the possibility of making more over time, for working?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: September 28, 2012, 01:54:17 pm »

The thing is, it's not a dichotomy, but rather a sliding scale. There's a point between that $100 of welfare and $20,000 of work where additional work = little to no benefit. Outside of hypothetical land and back to reality land, that zone where additional work gives negligible payback isn't exactly inconsequential, and probably the biggest reason anyone on welfare would stay on welfare.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: September 28, 2012, 01:57:50 pm »

Hoooold on there, that's too simple of an example. Yes, if you could get $100 an hour for not working OR $100 an hour for working, then you would not work. But that assumes that those are the only options. What if your choices were $100 a year for not working or $20,000 a year, with the possibility of making more over time, for working?

I'm... pretty sure you messed up the numbers there. Living a year on a hundred bucks is pretty much impossible. You'd have to be supplementing it with home-grown stuff, and you could factor in the cash value of the crop and time investment in that to come out at a number much higher. You'd also be homeless, more likely than not. Unless you owned land or a house and, again, that'd throw the numbers way off.

And... not everyone would not work just because they would be making the same if they were working. There's these things called boredom and socialization, both of which work tends to fulfill in some ways. You get independently wealthy (Though maybe not hyper-rich folks... retired people, lottery winners that don't bankrupt themselves, stuff like that. I've interacted with a fair number of 'em.) folks doing work just to have something to do. It takes a pretty specific personality type (and no, 'lazy' isn't it) to be particularly sessile for long periods. Most humans get antsy if they're not active in some way.

E: Though yeah, they might not be quite so motivated to shove nearly half their waking life up some corp's ass as the eight-hour work day thing entails.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:01:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: September 28, 2012, 02:18:50 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: September 28, 2012, 02:23:29 pm »

Thank you, MagentaRoyalty.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: September 28, 2012, 02:25:41 pm »

Magenta isn't a synonym for red. Magenta isn't even really real.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 714