Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 752136 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1920 on: February 15, 2012, 02:04:04 pm »

He lost me when he started humming on Ron Paul's nuts without the same degree of criticism he leveled at virtually everyone else.

What if Judge Napolitano was just another political operative just like the ones he decries?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: February 15, 2012, 02:05:09 pm »

I watched that and thought it mostly true.

Funny, I thought it was a load of crap.

You don't need to imagine shadowy people behind the curtain to explain the two party system any more then you need them to explain the laws of physics.  We have a two party system because we have a congressional district based first past the post voting system using large districts in a large nation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: February 15, 2012, 02:15:43 pm »

No, you need shadowy people behind a curtain otherwise you have to admit that we've done this to ourselves. Which is not a pleasant truth to bear.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: February 15, 2012, 02:16:22 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOaCemmsnNk&feature=player_embedded

And i'm fairly sure that is why he got fired.

Lol I like this guy, I guess that means hes not fit for fox news.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: February 15, 2012, 02:23:02 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOaCemmsnNk&feature=player_embedded

And i'm fairly sure that is why he got fired.

Lol I like this guy, I guess that means hes not fit for fox news.

I liked him too, until I realized he was just being a Ron Paul shill. Surprise. It's ironic, considering Ron Paul is as much smoke-and-mirrors as any other politician. Well, maybe not as much as the other candidates, but enough, and in his own way.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1925 on: February 15, 2012, 03:30:54 pm »

I like the part where he believes that the market can regulate itself perfectly as a massive interacting network of independent agents, but doesn't believe in evolution.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: February 15, 2012, 03:35:28 pm »

You don't know how right you are.  The Colorado/Minnesota/Missouri caucuses were essentially mock-votes, since new caucuses will be held in March, and the Paul campaign organizers used them as their main testbed for an interesting strategy.

Caucuses really are a tool from another century, wherein everyone shows up in a room, basically "nominate" winners by acclamation, and then campaign appointees are given the job of tallying the votes afterwards, are totally in their rights to tell everyone else to go home.  Technically, even though Paul got a substantially smaller portion of the vote in Colorado (for instance), he got almost all of the "delegates" (which is to say, nobody got any because of the calendar shenanigans, but he proved the method works).  Ron Paul doesn't make any bones about this either - here's a pretty good article that lays out the whole story, grounded in an email the Paul campaign ad-men sent out to their mailing list supporters.

Quote from: Dave Weigel's newsletter
    We are confident in gaining a much larger share of delegates than even our impressive showing yesterday indicates. As an example of our campaign’s delegate strength, take a look at what has occurred in Colorado:

- In one precinct in Larimer County, the straw poll vote was 23 for Santorum, 13 for Paul, 5 for Romney, 2 for Gingrich.  There were 13 delegate slots, and Ron Paul got ALL 13.

- In a precinct in Delta County the vote was 22 for Santorum, 12 for Romney, 8 for Paul, 7 for Gingrich. There were 5 delegate slots, and ALL 5 went to Ron Paul.

- In a Pueblo County precinct, the vote was 16 for Santorum, 11 for Romney, 3 for Gingrich and 2 for Paul. There were 2 delegate slots filled, and both were filled by Ron Paul supporters.

- We are also seeing the same trends in Minnesota, Nevada, and Iowa, and in Missouri as well.

And yes, they're doing the same thing in Maine.  One suspects the Republican nomination process is going to be pretty different by 2016.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: February 15, 2012, 03:37:20 pm »

So....abuse an arcane and outdated electoral system for fun and profit?

Yup, sounds like a true reformer.  ::)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: February 15, 2012, 03:45:25 pm »

Well, he certainly has established his desire to take every other aspect of American governance back to the early 19th century.  Why should the federal election process be any different?

The man's just that much of a traditionalist.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1929 on: February 15, 2012, 04:16:27 pm »

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: February 15, 2012, 04:18:46 pm »

Vaguely hint at a conspiracy.  Say a lot of things that most people wouldn't disagree with but contain no substance or actual ideas.  Set up your candidate as a solution to all our problems.

I'll admit it was cleverly done, but if you examine it for one moment you'll see it's as vacuous and hypocritical as hell.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: February 15, 2012, 04:24:35 pm »

I wonder if Rick Santorum would endorse Dave Mustaine of Megadeth?

Puts an interesting spin on my fanship, but who the fuck cares.  Dave Mustaine is metal enough to vote family values.  Kinda ironic, judging by stuff like Peace Sells and Back In The Day you'd think he'd be a Paulite, but he doesn't like people calling Americans bullies, and wants a nice guy president.  'Kay.

Romney:
I was floored the other day to see that Mitt Romney's five boys have a $100 million trust fund. Where does a guy make that much money?

When a mega-successful rockstar says "Goddamn, how rich can you be?" you're pretty fucking rich.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: February 15, 2012, 04:26:59 pm »

Wonder if he [Ron Paul] supports the Three-Fifths Compromise....

New national poll data with two very different results:
Rasmussen, 2/14:
39% - Santorum
27% - Romney
15% - Gingrich
10% - Paul

It should be noted that Rasmussen is known for being one of the most inaccurate major pollsters, with a distinct Republican/conservative lean to their results. Shouldn't be such an issue in a GOP-only primary poll, but still....their methods are often unsound.

Gallup, 2/14:
33% - Romney
31% - Santorum
15% - Gingrich
8% - Paul

Either way, Romney is suddenly in a dogfight for the nomination. Word is he's filling up the advertising gun with money and getting ready to blanket the airwaves in Michigan and Arizona. Santorum will be a more difficult target than Gingrich though.

But here's the thing...if these races keep getting split say, 35/30/20/15, then I don't think any one candidate is going to get enough pledged delegates to win outright prior to the convention. The preponderance of proportional primaries (say that five times fast) means this could drag out in a big way. The key prize down the stretch might be California: it's got the most delegates (172) and it's winner-take-all. Sort of.

To explain, the winner for the state gets X number of delegates, and then each candidates gets another X delegates for every Y Congressional districts they won. South Carolina was the same way, which is how Gingrich got 23 delegates, but Romney still eked out 2 for winning the area around Columbia. And although you'd think "There's absolutely no way a guy like Santorum could win California...." he's polling only 2 points behind Romney. And that was a week ago. The thing about California Republicans is that they tend to be more extreme than the average because they feel like a desperate outpost of red in the sea of blue that is the "People's Republic of California".

Almost all the other major states are proportional or non-binding. Texas, with its mammoth 155 delegates, is proportional this year for the first time.

Romney's current lead of 98 delegates to Santorum's 44 is in no way, shape or form insurmountable. After Arizona (which is a paltry 23 delegates), the next winner-take-all election (other than Puerto Rico) isn't until Apr 3, when Wisconsin and Maryland go on the same day as Texas. All Santorum has to do between now and then is run neck-and-neck with Romney, maybe scratching out a few wins here and there, and then take those two states and Romney's lead is gone. Now, neither would have enough delegates to win outright, but oh the fun that would bring about for the rest of the race. Especially in California, which doesn't go until June 5.

If Santorum stays viable and doesn't commit any huge gaffes, I think this race gets even uglier, I think the battle for California will go down in history as one of the most expensive (and rancorous) primary campaigns in history, and I think we *still* end up in a brokered convention. Which could split the party in two, regardless of whom they settle on as a candidate.

I wonder if Rick Santorum would endorse Dave Mustaine of Megadeth?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/megadeth-singer-endorses-rick-santorum-calls-newt-gingrich-164220697.html
I...WHAT THE F**K??? Ok, Megadeth is officially dead to me. Seriously...WTF?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: February 15, 2012, 04:41:20 pm »

What are you guys opinions on Gingrich?

Firstly I think his personal life is irrelivant.
However in debates all I hear him ever say is, 'I did this with Reagan'. When his credibility is questioned, it's always 'i'm with the ghost of reagan'. The other candidates really do rip him apart too about his political qualifications.

That said, he does seem to be one of the most seasoned and experienced politicians in the running. I think he is actually a better politician than he himself makes out. If he could just drop the Reagan shit, I think he might have gone far. He also doesn't seem loonie like the other candidates.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: February 15, 2012, 04:48:31 pm »

Someone's personal life is not irrelevant to politics, to me.

You can't be a shitty person in your day-to-day life but somehow become a beneficent ruler when it becomes your job.

Similarly, you can't be a horrible, corrupt despot of a ruler while being a really great guy in your personal life. Character is not mutually exclusive been your private and public lives.

Now, not all of your personal behavior extends to your public behavior....but in Gingrich's case, he's demonstrated the only thing that matters to him is what's good for Newt. Fuck compassion, fuck consistency, fuck clarity even. I think if you only judge a politician based on either sphere of their life, personal or public, then you get exactly what you deserve. Which is a dysfunctional SOB at the helm of the ship.

And in America, the land where every politician spews moral virtue in every sentence they speak, their ability to live up to those ideals in their personal life is of paramount importance to their performance in government, and to upholding the values they swear they believe in...and swear they'll protect.

Honestly, when people tell who a person ultimately is inside has no bearing on politics.....I kind of look at them like they have squid mouth.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:52:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 714