Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835779 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - 1.6 NEW: ASCII & JollyBastion Tileset
« Reply #2970 on: March 21, 2012, 07:46:06 pm »

Tooth leather seems like a feature.

After all, all of our forts are surviving by the skin of their teeth.

Iax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: March 21, 2012, 08:53:55 pm »

Stockpile bug;
Sharks teeth spikes, regular, sharpened or serrated, do not have a valid stockpile they just clutter up the trap workshop or archeologist.
same with demon armor/swords and trex hats

And maybe a manual addon request:
For all the new items that are sortof weird could you list what stockpile they go in?  I think most of the new things are classed as finished goods:toys but Im not sure.
Dwarfs seem to like taking the new stuff(runes, ect) to the farthest finished goods stockpile instead of the one right next to the workshop

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #2972 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:45 pm »

simple option: make it abundantly clear that guildhall trained dwarfs cannot learn magic skills for whatever reason. (perhaps a nice lore opportunity here?)

Yes, please!

I love the guildhall concept. I have no clue why, but I always lose my military dwarfs... all the damn time. So being able to pick a handful of dwarfs and turn them into legions to try and pick things up is a great way to save my fort! :D

I think that once you know this, you simply plan accordingly. I mean, I don't like the idea that a dwarf could be flipped in between castes all the time. I think it'd make more sense that you can only do it once in the first place. So everything is fine! :D

This mod is making my weekends melt like ice in a volcano.
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: March 21, 2012, 11:06:15 pm »

mm i set the population cap at 2 and i'm still getting migrants in the 3rd year... they are getting smaller waves though

btw what does the child cap do? i know the first number is a hard cap but not sure what the second number is :s
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2974 on: March 21, 2012, 11:08:40 pm »

I thought about tossing it out of the window completely... I could leave it in, settings to OFF by default and make a nice fat warning about the erratic behavoir.

The graphics might take a while btw, I made a list of everything that needs a sprite... full list in the spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: @zach: It is the very same system the lazy newb pack uses, since it was their sourcecode I used for a basis. Second one does not do anything as far as I can tell.

EDIT2: NW_Kohaku was nice enough to clear something up. Transparent backgrounds for creatures does not exist.

To make clear what I mean:

1 is the floor tile, green grass.
2 is how the creature is currently displayed, with a black background.
3 is how I'd like the creature to be displayed, with a transparent background. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE.

I will have to redesign some sprites, so the creatures are bigger and take up more of the 16*16 square, to make the black background less obtrusive.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:15:50 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

quintilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: March 21, 2012, 11:20:17 pm »

yeah ok - the statue might have been an automaton or fb or somesuch - things got chaotic out there.

I did have another adventure with a warlock siege though... warlocks came, with a contingent of ogresses or somesuch.  I noticed that a mere fraction of them were advancing on the fort, i scrolled over to the others - and whatever spell that one of them is casting to raise the dead is zombifying everything over there - it's losing it's faction - and it's tearing into the still alive guys.  Once the zombies killed the living warlocks - the siege was 'lifted' - but i still have 3 dozen zombies hanging out out there.

Is there a spell warlocks cast to turn things into zombies? there might be some disconnect between the game's vision of necromancy and yours...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2976 on: March 21, 2012, 11:25:19 pm »

Yeah, warlocks can raise corpses, but I think they only are friendly to the individual warlock that raised them, not to the entire civ. I will use a different type of warlock in the next update, no necromancers with those.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: March 21, 2012, 11:29:37 pm »

Repeatable crash which happens when I hit 'a' to listen in on the talk to an elven diplomat.  (I've talked to them before, first time it's a problem)

Here's an errorlog.  There's nothing too obvious related to my crash, but some other stuff you might be interested in?

This fort was getting a little FPSy anyway, maybe time to upgrade to 1.6 :)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: March 22, 2012, 01:07:02 am »

Found a glitch with the Demonbound; I have one that will not stop sleeping. The only way to get him out of bed is to deconstruct it, but then all he does is get food and drink (he's starving and dehydrated because all he does is stay in bed) and go right back to sleep.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

paul k.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: March 22, 2012, 05:08:32 am »

Game crashes 3 times in a row when Summer comes. No frozen water, though. Very strange.

quintilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: March 22, 2012, 06:55:14 am »

Yeah, warlocks can raise corpses, but I think they only are friendly to the individual warlock that raised them, not to the entire civ. I will use a different type of warlock in the next update, no necromancers with those.
confirming it's not just warlocks... i had a vampire king decide the fortress looked tasty - and his consort was a necromancer. I immediately drafted the 2 of them into a unit and marched them to the side just to get them away from any bones - but when the king got next to her he ripped her arms off (she hadnt created any zombies yet).  I cant really complain...

AndyDish

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf Beards Batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: March 22, 2012, 11:31:34 am »

Yeah fix the frost giants. They are invincible no shitting, none of my dwarves who aren't too bad with a sword can them, then add that a giant thing can sneak, I may as well let them come in my fort and take what they want. Less casualties that way.

EDIT: Add goblin ambush...
That's just awful. Just as I fought off a Drow invasion. This mod, despite its goals of making DF easier to play (not less FUN I understand that) is a pain to deal with when you cant win. Fix this before next release. Also Drow darkness clouds used too (don't know if they still do) alert you as if it was an ambush.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:41:21 am by AndyDish »
Rivers of ale, yeah sounds like dwarf fortress.

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: March 22, 2012, 11:54:44 am »

meph - all due respect to nw_kohaku, but it does seem possible to have sprites with transparent backgrounds. check out, for example, the raw/graphics/animals/ folder, full of bmp files with pink backgrounds. they look like this:

that pink background does not show up in game because, i believe, bitmaps are rendered transparently. other graphics files are in .png format, and have found a solution better then the black background: they use a specific brown color which blends into a lot of background tiles. see, for example, elves.png:

there's more going on here then might meet the eye =)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:00:08 pm by sayke »
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: March 22, 2012, 01:25:11 pm »

Slaves aren't working for me, the drow won't bring broodmothers.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: March 22, 2012, 01:58:38 pm »

meph - all due respect to nw_kohaku, but it does seem possible to have sprites with transparent backgrounds. check out, for example, the raw/graphics/animals/ folder, full of bmp files with pink backgrounds. they look like this:

that pink background does not show up in game because, i believe, bitmaps are rendered transparently. other graphics files are in .png format, and have found a solution better then the black background: they use a specific brown color which blends into a lot of background tiles. see, for example, elves.png:

there's more going on here then might meet the eye =)

Yes, but it's not quite that simple.  The game needs to know which color is the transparency in a .bmp image.  My guess is that it probably looks at the palette and removes the first color as the transparency, which means that your bitmaps need to be indexed so that the pink background is the first color.

I find it's much easier to just use .png images with neutral background colors and/or alpha channels.  I've been using .png alpha channeled images for a long time now.  It's true that the neutral background looks a bit nicer, but I'm keeping it consistent in case true transparency ever gets implemented.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:04:22 pm by narhiril »
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 749