Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1809136 times)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - 1.5 for 34.04. New: Slaves and Secrets
« Reply #2145 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »

Other graphical bug detected: "Exceptional" becomes the "unknown character" square in TrueType.
It's sad when you begin to have only masterpieces and those, it really messes the whole list.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2146 on: March 06, 2012, 12:51:33 pm »

Ok, guess I have to manually mod the font then. Just altered the size, then found out the the demo of the program does not allow you to save anything. WTF ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: March 06, 2012, 01:19:43 pm »

Err, I think I found some of the special stuff, but it IS odd, don't even know what it means.

I disabled all vampire curses, yet an administrator showed up, with a lot of "former member of".
That is not the strange stuff, when you compare it to...

For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2148 on: March 06, 2012, 01:24:19 pm »

Answer: Keep playing. 2 at once is a bit surprising, they should be quite rare.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:26:10 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Flobulon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: March 06, 2012, 01:29:03 pm »

@Meph - Those info charts are great. As you suspected, I just haven't had the opportunity lately to spend as much time as I would like on them. Mostly because I find making them to be very time consuming, although I do enjoy it. And the metal chart is great, very useful indeed - I would never have guessed that gold hammers are better than steel! And congrats on the new release.

Cheers

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #2150 on: March 06, 2012, 01:40:54 pm »

Also: Is it a Masterwork of a Vanilla DF feature that you can get necromancer dwarfs with your migrants?

I don't know but it's happened to me twice now... and he doesn't attack my camp he just spooks people near the entrance... lol

Boo! :O
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: March 06, 2012, 01:48:17 pm »

I forgot to mention that I like the workshop info charts quite a bit, too. It's not always obvious how to use something in-game, so those help get the idea across for custom workshops.

Speaking of which, when a job is red in a workshop because you don't have one of the materials, when you hit enter, it shows you the reaction inputs and outputs. Is there any way to see that information when the job is NOT red? (I.e. hitting enter queues the job?)

fredmaehn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: March 06, 2012, 01:50:09 pm »

Am I missing something, or am I just stupid:

How do I run the setings GUI on MacOS?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: March 06, 2012, 02:02:50 pm »

Spoiler: To Meph (click to show/hide)

Good, now these two will go into military stationing outside of the fortress, hopefully before they make too many comrades...

Nice to see what you did there with those though, but it was on by default in the settings, when you said you would put it to false, try to change it next time or all the new players will not give it many more tries after some of those I think.

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: March 06, 2012, 03:48:03 pm »

meph - those charts are awesome! they really help shed some light on one of the more complicated parts of the mod... but in looking at them, i wonder if there aren't perhaps a few too many weapon/armor materials! as far as i can tell, one of the core aspects of this mod's design philosophy has been elegance through simplicity - hence the simplified but more useful wood/leather/meats/drinks/etc. in that light i can't help wondering whether some things are a bit unnecessary!

for example, what's the point of sladmantine, if it's worse then slade for blunt weapons and worse then adamantine for edged? is it the strongest material for armor? if so that makes sense, but isn't clear from the charts =D

but aren't there just too many kinds of iron and steel? as it stands now we can have items made from "iron", "pure iron", "pig iron", "rusty iron", "meteoric iron", and "feather iron"... either "iron" or "pure iron" seems perhaps a bit unnecessary - doesn't "pure iron" ore just produce two iron bars? if so, should it even be reasonable to construct "pure iron" or "pig iron" weapons/armor/etc? and the "feather iron" seems like a bit of a contradiction to me, and should perhaps be renamed... "hardened mithril", maybe? it should be clear that there's an incentive to get better armor by teching up, and being able to use materials like steel, titanium, wolfram, mithril, and adamantine, not to mention the advanced leathers and woods... which are actually light and good for armor.

speaking of steel, how many kinds of that do we have now? "steel", "battle/damast steel", "fireproof steel", "heavy steel", "lightweight steel", and "stainless steel", not to mention "steeloak" and "steeloak metal"... i say if you want lightweight armor etc, you should have to seek out mithril or adamantine, or build up advanced leatherworking capabilities, no? and if you want heavy blunt weapons, you should use one of the heavy metals or woods, right? in that context, doesn't it make sense to keep the materials simple and remove redundancies from the industrial toolchain, or at least give people the option to do so?

i'm also not sure why "steeloak metal" needs to be there - perhaps for more technical reasons...? if so you might want to rename it to something clearer. same with "slade", "weak slade", "slade mineral", and "slademantine". is it feasible to make the "weak slade" and "slade mineral" ones redundant? also, i urge you to revisit "fireproof steel" - there should be some disadvantage to it, because right now there's no reason not to just make all your otherwise-steel armor out of the "fireproof" variety. maybe some other armor material progression, like meterioric iron, titanium, wolfram, hellwood, and slademantine, should be fireproof instead...?

another way to think about this would be that because different military materials should have different roles, one kind of economy shouldn't be able to fill all the niche roles very easily. for example, in order of usefulness, here's a rough layout (leaving out many misc materials) of what a simpler progression could look like:
- blunt weapons: ironwood, iron, cobalt, steelwood, steel, meteoric, wolfram, precious metals, iridium, hellwood, slade
- edged weapons: copper, bronze, ironwood, iron, cobalt, meteoric, steelwood, steel, hellwood, slade, adamantine
- ranged weapons: ??? probably similar to blunt, but there should perhaps be reasons to seek out other materials for these at the high end...?
- light armor: leathers, titanium, mithril, hardened mithril, adamantine
- normal/heavy armor: similar to edged, with slademantine the best...?
- fireproof/extra-heavy armor: meterioric, titanium, wolfram, hellwood, slademantine

of course, this doesn't include the patternwelds, which have their niches, and it should maintain an appropriate progression of woods, leathers, shells, etc, so non-metal economies should be feasible but perhaps not quite as effective as metal economies.

you might want to make an armor chart, and perhaps a ranged-weapon chart, in addition to your previous charts, to help clarify those things so everyone can see what the advantages and disadvantages of all the different materials are...

i guess what i'm proposing is, at least, a simplification of the apparently-redundant or otherwise weird military metal variants. that would involve renaming a few things (like "feather iron" -> "hardened mithril", using a steel bar instead of iron), and removing as forge-able materials things like "pure iron", "pig iron", "battle steel", "heavy steel", "lightweight steel", "fireproof steel", and maybe "stainless steel", "weak slade", and "slade mineral", although i'm not sure what those ones are for. this would hopefully simplify raws and menus, reduce the types of items, clarify things for the users, incentivise more diverse economies, and maybe even help FPS a bit!

sorry for the length of this post - these are just ideas =) again, absolutely all the best -
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

SecondBreakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 06, 2012, 04:09:39 pm »

The huge variety in metal types might be more attractive if there was an incentive to explore them. As iron is now smelted from tetrahedrite, 90% of sites have so much iron and so much flux (from marble) that getting large quantities of good quality steel simply isn't the problem it is in vanilla Dwarf Fortress. I'm hesitant to call this a problem though, since even in vanilla DF resources for steel are either so abundant you'll never run out or nonexistent. Masterwork has just shifted this to always abundant to match the threats you face.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2156 on: March 06, 2012, 04:22:13 pm »

@goncyn: No way to see what a reaction needs when it is green.

@fredmaehn: You cant run it on Mac, but kudakero is working on it I think. He has to write a different program for MacOs. I told him he is crazy, since it is a ton of work, but he started anyway ;)

@slay_mithos: I didnt say it will be off by default, I said that newer players should turn it off. The pop ratio is rather low, compared to the rest. Guilds+Standart dwarves make about a pop-ratio of 4000 together. 10 is in comparison 1:400. Thats why I said I am surprised that you got two. But then again, with 6 castes, that makes 60, this means 1:66... still ok I think.

@sayke: I love long and well thought of feedback. This might come as a surprise, but this is the very first time I see all these materials side by side, just like you guys. The 4 steel upgrades are ancient, from V0.5 for example. I noticed some oddities, that otherwise would have been hard to find in the raws, since I only see a wall of numbers, but now I can see a wall of number, side by side. I will change this quite a bit, just need to get a grasp of things. I think the steel upgrades are good to go now, with all the other stuff added by now. I might also be able to seperate the list into the actual METALS ingame that you can use for different items (like: Edged, Blunt, Armor, Ammo, Furniture/Goods) since this table I posted only show the inorganic_materials directly from the raws. But might take a while ^^

@secondbreakfast: Dont forget that the material costs also did rise. For ONE runic Steel Halberd you need 5 steel bars and 5 gold/silver bars. I made metals easier to get, but items need of them. This way people should mine more, smelt more, need more fuel and so on. Only way to give this option to them is to give them more raw materials of course.

PS: I just wanted to start a fortress... after a month a blighted fog appears, ravens fly in, get numb. Nothing else, so ok, no problem. Then it rains dwarf blood, and shortly after normal rain. EVERYTHING on the surface instantly bled to death. Sole survivor: My miner that was digging out the farm area and the nearby chickens. Mh... time to start again.

mglarev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 06, 2012, 04:22:15 pm »

I can't get the brewery to season drinks.

I need:
  • Plants (check)
  • Dwarven Wine (check)
  • Drink containing Item (a barrel? check)
  • Sugar-containing bag (check)
  • Unrotten CANDY-MAT-producing powder (wtf?)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2158 on: March 06, 2012, 04:26:02 pm »

Plants (check)
Dwarven Wine (check)
Drink containing Item (a barrel? check) <<== BARREL
Sugar-containing bag (check)
Unrotten CANDY-MAT-producing powder (wtf?)  <<<=== SUGAR :)

I think DF has a problem finding the sugar, since your dwarves store Sugar in Bags, and Bags in Barrels. The candy/bread reactions in the kitchen have the same problem. Once the sugar bag is stored inside a barrel, the actual sugar is stored "too deep", in 2 layers (barrel, then bag) and DF only checks the first one, barrel. It sees only bags in the barrel, but no sugar, and tells your reaction: Sry, no sugar here.

Store the sugar in a stockpile that does not allow barrels, or use it directly. This is nothing that I could fix, apart from making the reaction use a barrel instead of a bag in the first place... mh... might do this.

PS: @sayke: I also just noticed that the tables also list the ores as well, and not just the metals. Once I remove them, the list will be about 1/3 shorter :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:28:05 pm by Meph »

Siaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: March 06, 2012, 04:34:16 pm »

It is possible that I'm not looking hard enough or in the right place, But I can't seem to find the Finishing Forge in either the Furnaces page or the Workshops page, any idea where it would be? 

Nevermind, looked at the Reaction and realized it is at a Crucible..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:38:25 pm by Siaru »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 749