Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: New release: will the wait be worth it for fortress mode players?  (Read 4976 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: New release: will the wait be worth it for fortress mode players?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2011, 02:10:52 am »

I like how the first time adventure mode gets focused on even partially some people are wondering if Toady's 'abandoning' fortress mode
Well, the this long release cycle, does make it feel like it.
6 months of work, with only ~60%-70% of that being adventure stuff, when pretty much the entirety of the last...what? Eight years? Have been toward fortress mode. Yeah, totally abandoning it. Come on guys, adventure and fortress mode are supposed to be equal in terms of importance, it's only natural that adventure mode would have to be worked on eventually.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 02:19:30 am »

I'm not agreeing, just being understanding.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 06:42:51 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2011, 02:37:08 am »

I absolutely understand that he wants to spend time on Adventure, but to be honest it will never interest me apart from a slight curiosity. Fortress mode is (and always will be) the meat of the game to me.

That said, I'm disappointed I had to share all the DF-update fun with these adventure kiddies (I joke), but I guess its only fair. Mayhaps next time Fortress will get some groundbreaking additions.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2011, 06:57:21 am »

Quote from: MANTIS
Dwarf Fortress - Next Version (Not Yet Released) [ View Issues ]
================================================
- 0003246: [TrueType] TrueType: Some dwarves' names are cut off at diacritics, other diacritics are turned into blocks (Baughn) - resolved.
- 0003762: [TrueType] Crash on moving (k) cursor over certain spatters with TrueType (long names?) (Baughn) - resolved.
[2 issues]
YEEEAAAAAHH!

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2011, 07:20:59 am »

Thanks for all the replies so far, guys, I really appreciate it. I hate sifting through bug trackers because the majority of issues listed there are internal and programming-related, that's to say things I don't understand anyway.

I like how the first time adventure mode gets focused on even partially some people are wondering if Toady's 'abandoning' fortress mode

I never said that. I just said that it seems that THIS TIME, Toady seems to be focusing on adventure mode, which is totally fine for me. After all, both modes should be equally important. But since I'm not an adventure mode player personally, there would be no need FOR ME to get all excited for the upcoming release if it's 99% adventure mode stuff. I'd just sort of skip it then and wait for another release, no problem.
I'm not even wishing for any major additions to fortress mode, I would already be grateful if all the major bugs were fixed (the crash resulting from blood splatters and long names when using TT fonts is another game-breaking one for me, hope the above-mentioned bugfix will actually make it into the release).

--

That said and judging from what you've all posted so far, I'd say the wait was - and will be - worth it, contrary to what I expected.

Thanks again and feel free to post anything not mentioned so far :)
rs
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:23:28 am by redsector »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2011, 12:33:19 pm »

Do we have a list somewhere of the various bugfixes Toady has in this one? I know this wasn't a bugfixing release, but I know some of the older ones have been addressed in the course of his various rewrites, such as the hammerer's absence and- most recently- the floating ice river. They aren't on the Mantis changelog, and they aren't mentioned in the doc.

There's no reliable list, but some bug tracker issues have been tagged (by managers) as possibly fixed in the next version.

Oooh, thanks for that! I'd forgotten about the webby FB's being fixed.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2011, 12:58:37 pm »

Adventurer mode has been sorta left aside for most releases, its only fair that it gets some love now. Plus its not like the changes toady is making now will affect adv mode exclusively, they actualy serve as a framework for caravan and army arc stuff (towns having proper populations and markets, an actual economical framework for non-player sites, etc).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 01:00:15 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 04:58:39 pm »

New version is looking great!

I'm hoping that Toady will add a search function to the engrave memorial slab labor as well as the "Units list is divided into four categories (citizens, pets/livestock, others, dead/missing)." filter he's already adding in. Not spending 3 hrs looking for Asmob McIncineratedCaravanGuard will be amazing if it happens.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 05:01:07 pm »

I sure will miss leading my peasant army straight into a river from a bridge going to nowhere.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2011, 05:08:34 pm »

Me too :'(
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2011, 05:11:14 pm »

You know, another thing to think about that should excite fortress mode players as much as anybody is that adventure mode currently allows for more finely grained and (more importantly) mobile interactions with the world; I think a lot of the point of this development being 'adventure mode' based is simply coincidental.
Toady is trying to make the world as a whole more vibrant and alive, it just so happens that since adventurers can move about while that is happening, this sort of thing is going to affect them more in the early stages of the process.
At least, that's my theory.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 07:01:07 am »

Everything interconnects

The new night monsters and the insane syndrome based fun - Were-monsters, vampires, etc Who knows what Urist McMigrant is like on a full moon?
The Caravan economy upgrade
The persistently updating world while your own fortress is going nuts...
The Necromancers and undead invasions
The various books with awesome info that Urist McMigrant might have read prior to arriving?

The Modding potential.
It's huge across both modes, and quite frankly, Adventure mode could do with an upgrade!

Also: to everyone going "Well, in my opinion, fortress mode is the most important part" or some such: yes.
To you. 
But it's not your game. It's not designed to your specification, it doesn't focus on your whims. Man up.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:44:54 am by MasterMorality »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 01:10:52 pm »

You know, another thing to think about that should excite fortress mode players as much as anybody is that adventure mode currently allows for more finely grained and (more importantly) mobile interactions with the world; I think a lot of the point of this development being 'adventure mode' based is simply coincidental.
Toady is trying to make the world as a whole more vibrant and alive, it just so happens that since adventurers can move about while that is happening, this sort of thing is going to affect them more in the early stages of the process.
At least, that's my theory.

Gotta have cities before you can order your military dwarves to invade them and control the action fortress mode style, right?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2012, 09:53:05 am »

I sort of miss the old 2d adventure mode. I mainly play adventure mode to visit old forts and the 2d version seemed to have better random monster placement. As it stands in the current version, all the baddies tend to gather in the designated meeting halls. If they didn't start there, they'll very quickly make their way there. It would be kind of cool to have battles throughout the entire fort rather than the predesignated hotspots. Also, the 2d version seemed to have a lot more monster populations in general. So yeah, An adventure mode update is needed. I can't wait to hunt down necromancers and their hordes of undead minions!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2012, 05:34:29 pm »

I sort of miss the old 2d adventure mode. I mainly play adventure mode to visit old forts and the 2d version seemed to have better random monster placement. As it stands in the current version, all the baddies tend to gather in the designated meeting halls. If they didn't start there, they'll very quickly make their way there. It would be kind of cool to have battles throughout the entire fort rather than the predesignated hotspots. Also, the 2d version seemed to have a lot more monster populations in general. So yeah, An adventure mode update is needed. I can't wait to hunt down necromancers and their hordes of undead minions!

Well for the 2d version, it closer to an RL, but removed from the living world that Toady and ThreeToe want. There was more monsters, simply because the monsters can just be poofed. Though there will undoubtedly be mobs that will be poofed, (like wolves), they'll still be drawn from a population for the area.

And don't expect your old forts to be anything more then what they are now if you visited them. Toady hasn't done anything with Elven homes or dorf forts. To my knowledge, sites aren't being reused by other entities, so abandoned player forts will still be pretty weird.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4