Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New release: will the wait be worth it for fortress mode players?  (Read 4972 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: New release: will the wait be worth it for fortress mode players?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 03:44:14 pm »

Judging by the patchnotes mentioning of the Hammerer being an appointable position, I think it's safe to assume baronobles are fixed in the next release.
The hammerer has been appointable for quite a while now. The change is that it now can be appointed by the expedition leader/mayor rather than the land-holding nobles (and that it no longer leads the royal guard). The other positions appointed by the land-holding nobles will continue to be bugged (unless Toady sneaks that in prior to release).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 03:44:56 pm »

Ahem.

Dead bodies (and body parts!) can be raised in evil areas automatically

Just embark in an evil area, and all your refuse stockpile is crawling and biting!

Ingestion of materials can now pass on syndromes

Gather a bunch of special mushrooms and all your dwarves are now tantruming zombies hungry for blood! RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Dwarves are now announced only as “missing” until someone finds the body
    You now select a person to be punished from the justice system
    Dwarves may witness a crime and report it to the sheriff
    Dwarves won’t report a crime to the sheriff if that’s who committed it
    Dwarves with grudges may level false accusations
    The Hammerer is now an appointed position.

Yay, the whole justice system is quite interesting now (finally!).

Designations can now be made across z-levels
Units list is divided into four categories (citizens, pets/livestock, others, dead/missing).

Some nice interface improvements.

All in all, while it makes the towns and adventure mode a priority, the fortress mode gets some interesting stuff as well, especially if you embark on evil biomes.

And if you don't mind mods... DUDE! THAT nets an endless possibility, at least hundreds of my ideas will be possible after the new release.

Also what?
Genetics and animal breeds work properly for animals associated with each entity. The lineage of individual animals is not tracked.
Genetics?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 03:47:58 pm »

Genetics I think were introduced during the original .31.XX release.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011, 03:57:40 pm »

Also:
Historical figures now immigrate normally
This includes dwarves from previously abandoned fortresses and player-made adventurers (of course, you won't be able to retire in dwarf civilizations until their sites actually start existing again), as well as famous and influential dorfs of generations past. There's some incentive to keep your dwarves alive even after the fall of the fortress is a foregone conclusion.

And let's not forget that dwarves and especially kobolds will no longer die out so easily during worldgen. Which is nice.

Edit: Oh neat, I just checked and it seems you CAN retire in dwarf civilizations. The empty placeholder fields still count.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 06:51:34 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2011, 06:18:22 pm »

ZOMBIE SIEGES!
Gem cutting improvements.
THA Hammerer.
Food (and other things too) can carry syndromes.
A retired adventure can migrate to your fort.
Crapshitapeload of bug fixes.
Lunar cycle.
Wereshit.
Vampires.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2011, 06:41:32 pm »

All of the new critters seem to be designed to make fortress mode more interesting. Necromancers make dead bodies inside your fortress a security threat, werewolves and vampires sneak into your fort and can cause fun, dunno about mummies, but I suppose there might be the chance of embarking onto a tomb by accident.

This alone will make the game better. It represents a consistent threat to the fort, even in the late game.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 06:43:29 pm »

Yeah, there will be some changes.

The changes won't be on the level of 2D-3D, or the addition of the caverns and magma sea, or the realistic materials+body arrangements, but there will be interesting stuff.

And, of course, the modders will do some interesting stuff, I'm sure. There are already some pretty amazing mods available. And while I love DF vanilla, the mods really add a ton of flavor, and people have figured out how to do some crazy stuff with them. I'm pretty excited to see what the modders are going to do with the new features, like interactions, and such.

I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of mods really expand on the magic system.

And I actually like adventure mode, so I'm pretty excited about that.

And, of course, multi-z-level designations will make planning forts SO MUCH EASIER! That addition is going to be as awesome as the mass dump/forbid/reclaim designation tool.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2011, 06:45:34 pm »

I dont mean to be a downer.

But yea, adventures can retire in dwarf towns. IF you happen to retire dwarf town, then make a fort for that dwarf civ, that adventure can immigrait over. HOWEVER, there is still no mix race forts. You have to have a dwarf adventure, for it to happen.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »

The last release didn't seem like much for Adventure Mode so I'd say Fortress can take a bit of a back seat this release.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 10:04:21 pm »

I'm definitely excited about the modding potential. The next release alone will allow me to continue working on my mod, let alone any other stuff that gets added in the following bugfixes and such.

Seriously, there's some pretty goddamn excellent mods out there just now, imagine what's gonna be made once the new release rolls around. The possibilites will multiply a thousand-fold.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 10:39:39 pm »

I don't know if we get the DM fixed now...
And I would like to see those owned items stored properly :P.

Most dwarves do store items. It depends on access to owned storage furniture (chests and cabinets, at the minimum, in an owned room) and the dwarf's personality. However, storage furniture is extremely limited and is quickly filled up once clothing starts to rot and get replaced. If furniture is full but they still have items they want to store, they'll throw them on the ground in their room (they will intentionally place a maximum of one item per tile, if the tile is not already occupied).

Not sure if there are also issues when two dwarves share a room. I think when I assigned all my dwarves to a large shared communal room with cabinets (built a bunch of beds, designated a room from each that filled the area and assigned each dwarf their own), most stored things on the floor and no one made use of the cabinets.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 11:21:26 pm »

Judging by the patchnotes mentioning of the Hammerer being an appointable position, I think it's safe to assume baronobles are fixed in the next release.
The hammerer has been appointable for quite a while now. The change is that it now can be appointed by the expedition leader/mayor rather than the land-holding nobles (and that it no longer leads the royal guard). The other positions appointed by the land-holding nobles will continue to be bugged (unless Toady sneaks that in prior to release).

Yep.  The confirmation:
Quote from: Footkerchief
Does the Justice revamping mean that the bug with baron-appointed nobles e.g. the hammerer will be fixed?

The hammerer was fixed.  The dungeon master is still in limbo.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 12:08:26 am »

"You can select and purchase portions of a stack in both modes."

This one alone makes me grin, even alongside all the other superexciting stuff.

Do we have a list somewhere of the various bugfixes Toady has in this one? I know this wasn't a bugfixing release, but I know some of the older ones have been addressed in the course of his various rewrites, such as the hammerer's absence and- most recently- the floating ice river. They aren't on the Mantis changelog, and they aren't mentioned in the doc.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 12:15:50 am »

"You can select and purchase portions of a stack in both modes."

This one alone makes me grin, even alongside all the other superexciting stuff.

Do we have a list somewhere of the various bugfixes Toady has in this one? I know this wasn't a bugfixing release, but I know some of the older ones have been addressed in the course of his various rewrites, such as the hammerer's absence and- most recently- the floating ice river. They aren't on the Mantis changelog, and they aren't mentioned in the doc.

We probably wont know until a day or os before the release, when he updates the change log on Mantis.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 01:57:11 am »

There's no reliable list, but some bug tracker issues have been tagged (by managers) as possibly fixed in the next version.

We probably wont know until a day or os before the release, when he updates the change log on Mantis.

He often updates issues in advance when he's in bugfixing mode, but I doubt he'll do that for a big feature-oriented release like this one, especially since he's trying to release it ASAP.  Maybe post-release, but at that point the managers will be updating the issues themselves.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4