Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Connecting Siege Engines to Triggers  (Read 3049 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Connecting Siege Engines to Triggers
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:33:18 pm »

I think it would be cool if siege engines could be connected to pressure plates, levers, and any other triggers that might be implemented. I suppose I just like the idea of a misstep by a goblin bringing death to the entire squad...Or maybe I don't like siege operators running off or something.

In any case, I think that ballistae, and possibly catapults, should be able to be connected to triggers. Obviously, ammo would have to be loaded by hand, so no Pull the Lever/R spams, but after that it can sit in the siege engine for years, if needed, until the lever is pulled. A siege engine would be pointed as normal, hooked up to a trigger, and loaded; after hooking the engine up, maybe it couldn't be fired by hand anymore. When the "trigger" signal was sent (i.e. the signal that opens doors and closes bridges), the siege engine would fire if it has ammo; when the "untrigger" signal was sent (i.e. the signal that closes doors and squashes stuff under bridges), nothing happens.

The siege engines would fire their projectile in a straight line, with a random, slight "tilt" off-center. Ballista arrows would do what they do now, catapult stones would...

I've probably left something out, but I think that that's it. As always, I welcome all thoughts and constructive criticism and scorn all non-constructive criticism.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting Siege Engines to Triggers
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 07:35:04 pm »

Yes!

One miss step and you get pinned to the wall 30 meters away. This would be pretty awesome.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 07:40:07 pm »

Hell yes, +1. I can think of some awesome trap ideas with this :3.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 09:25:46 pm »

This sounds like an incredibly !!FUN!! idea.  I approve.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 01:27:59 am »

A search for "link siege engine" showed that this has come up several times:

aww, you're no fun  :(

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 03:00:51 am »

A search for "link siege engine" showed that this has come up several times:

aww, you're no fun  :(

One could argue that oft-requested ideas tend to be good ones.  At least, that seems to be the case here.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 07:53:21 am »

The siege engines would fire their projectile in a straight line, with a random, slight "tilt" off-center.
As far as I remember, accuracy depends on quality of engine, so no straight lines with a slight tilt.
It could be interesting to create a huge balista array and set it off at once, though balance ruining.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:00:23 pm »

The siege engines would fire their projectile in a straight line, with a random, slight "tilt" off-center.
As far as I remember, accuracy depends on quality of engine, so no straight lines with a slight tilt.
It could be interesting to create a huge balista array and set it off at once, though balance ruining.
You still need to reload manually, and they won't be 100% accurate. Sure, you could wipe out the ambush that's approached with a single throw of a lever, but you may not be completely reloaded for the next ambush. Also, linking those to the trigger could take a lot of time and stone. As well as siege engines being stationary.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 03:26:12 pm »

Sure, you could wipe out the ambush that's approached with a single throw of a lever...

Not to mention the baby crawling back to its mom.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 04:26:39 pm »

You still need to reload manually, and they won't be 100% accurate. Sure, you could wipe out the ambush that's approached with a single throw of a lever, but you may not be completely reloaded for the next ambush. Also, linking those to the trigger could take a lot of time and stone. As well as siege engines being stationary.
I would setup a siege farm of catapults all staggered to create a 100 tile long flying wall of stone, all linked to a single pressure plate in the middle of a suspended walkway.
Reloads will be worth it, can you imagine the reports from the first ambusher to survive and make it back to goblintown? "I'm not going back there, they threw a wall at me! Ballistic architecture!"

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 05:27:57 pm »

I like the idea of putting them inside weapon traps.  However, I'm not fond of the suggestion as it was written by the OP.  Triggering, would be a displeasure to me and my play style.

I would however, enjoy if they were automated, via mechanical devices.  Thereby removing the dwarf from having to be present, in order to fire.  I could really get behind an automatic catapult.  The problem I see with the OP's suggestion is it thwarts the players involvement in its operation.  I enjoy toggling its status.  Fire at will, rotate, etc..  I'd hate to lose that ability.  In addition to rotate, I'd like a trajectory option, also.  But no trigger.  As I am often finding a need to fire at high arc, to hit nearby areas.

To my logic, having a straight up trajectory, would be completely something a dwarf might do.  Another thing siegecraft needs changed, is to allow catapults to fire anything, not just rock.  Anotherwords, with an automatic catapult, a dwarf could fire himself, back and forth, via two aimed respectfully at each other.

Sincerely,
Knutor

edit: to -> two
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:33:34 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 07:27:57 pm »

I like the idea of putting them inside weapon traps.  However, I'm not fond of the suggestion as it was written by the OP.  Triggering, would be a displeasure to me and my play style.
Wait...you want to be able to put 3X3 siege engines inside 1-tile weapon traps?

I would however, enjoy if they were automated, via mechanical devices.  Thereby removing the dwarf from having to be present, in order to fire.  I could really get behind an automatic catapult.  The problem I see with the OP's suggestion is it thwarts the players involvement in its operation.  I enjoy toggling its status.  Fire at will, rotate, etc..  I'd hate to lose that ability.  In addition to rotate, I'd like a trajectory option, also.  But no trigger.  As I am often finding a need to fire at high arc, to hit nearby areas.
I'm not sure what the difference is. You could always make a water logic system if you wanted to kill everyone that went through a certain corridor...

To my logic, having a straight up trajectory, would be completely something a dwarf might do.
What, so that he'd hit himself?

Another thing siegecraft needs changed, is to allow catapults to fire anything, not just rock.  Anotherwords, with an automatic catapult, a dwarf could fire himself, back and forth, via two aimed respectfully at each other.
Hm, although this isn't really related...Dwarven ping-pong?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 08:25:34 pm »

I like the idea of putting them inside weapon traps.
Wait...you want to be able to put 3X3 siege engines inside 1-tile weapon traps?
The mechanism was built so good, that it came with extra dimensional space.  However as it was fired, dark forms with dark intentions, crept in.

The problem I see with the OP's suggestion is it thwarts the players involvement in its operation.  I enjoy toggling its status.  Fire at will, rotate, etc..  I'd hate to lose that ability.
I'm not sure what the difference is. You could always make a water logic system if you wanted to kill everyone that went through a certain corridor...
Being able to set it manually, strokes my fancy.  A trigger pinches my nipples.  That's all I meant.  If I could have both, I'd be ecstatic.  I'd also love me some trajectory choices aswell as two ammo choices.  Miscellaneous Items(MISS), or Ginormous(OUCH).  Dialogue as follows.

"Angle and Vector, Sir?" 
"NNE, 70 MISS, Make it so!"

To my logic, having a straight up trajectory, would be completely something a dwarf might do.
What, so that he'd hit himself?
Yes. Of course.  Or if it was automatic, it could secure a restricted vicinity like a flapping atomizer, without slowing down production or training.  Are siege missiles friend or foe?  Or just always foe?  I haven't the foggiest.  *shrug*  Ya didn't mention if you thought it dwarfy or not?  *frown*  :-*  Couldn't it propel a rock up through a hatch, the hatch would then prevent back splatter?  Or why can't it propel itself, an enterprising young dwarf could turn a catapult over and ride four catapults into battle.  He might need a crutch or two to act like stilts, but it'd work, wouldn't it?  I dunno.

Another thing siegecraft needs changed, is to allow catapults to fire anything, not just rock.  Anotherwords, with an automatic catapult, a dwarf could fire himself, back and forth, via two aimed respectfully at each other.
Hm, although this isn't really related...Dwarven ping-pong?
Elevator.  Fire himself across a chasm, to chop some wood.  Fire the wood back.  Shoot up 6 levels a stray cat.  Hatch could prevent it from falling back down.  Fire down onto my mass pitted cages.  It all goes into trajectory.  Although this idea of ping-pong, yes, has to do with improving travel, or safely securing burrowed dwarfs from wingless threats.  And it would be hilarious to watch, those guys flying back and forth, to practice up their skills.  Forcing them to break their legs, to improve crutch walking.  I can see danger room-like applications springing up, but that's the chance Toady would have to take with any change.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 09:53:21 pm »

How about a vertically mounted ballista?

Send a Goblin to the Moon (DF worlds have a moon, right?, or multiple? proceedurally generated combinaions of moons/tides?)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: [1] 2