Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ever tried... Not digging?  (Read 3271 times)

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ever tried... Not digging?
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:06:47 am »

So It's been a long time since I've played; getting back into the game.  But before I start on a huge new fortress; I always enjoy playing some shorter restricted games for fun.

The first one, no mining.

ALTHOUGH I'm going to allow myself to manipulate the water so I can make myself a moat, they'll be all the digging i do.  From their i will chop trees and make a wooden fort, with homes and roof tops.

Should be fun :d  Also I'm going to try an see how long I can go with fishing an farming too :D

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ever tried... Not digging?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 01:11:38 am »

I've accidently embarked without picks, also had my miners drown all at once. Its both terrifying and boring at the same time. The cloth industry ends up being the only route and its not nearly as glamourous.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 01:18:26 am »

Clay.  Use only clay.  Its aesthetically pleasing, consumes a ton of precious wood and lets you never dig and build up a fire clay pueblo fort. Bonus points for importing tin and kaolinite for tinting and porcelain. 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Plutocrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 01:28:55 am »

Clay.  Use only clay.  Its aesthetically pleasing, consumes a ton of precious wood and lets you never dig and build up a fire clay pueblo fort. Bonus points for importing tin and kaolinite for tinting and porcelain.

Do you mean doesn't consume a ton of precious wood? Clay is almost cheating. Almost.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 01:37:33 am »

Do you mean doesn't consume a ton of precious wood? Clay is almost cheating. Almost.
It takes a lot of wood if you're firing the clay with charcoal-powered kilns.

Unfortunately, building entirely-aboveground structures gets pretty boring pretty quickly. It takes forever to gather the materials for even a small fort, and it takes far more micromanagement than underground forts because oftentimes you can't just designate a level and leave it. Designating constructions also takes several times as many keystrokes as designating digging. Cast-obsidian aboveground forts are better, IMO, as it's usually easier to cast then dig out each level than it is to build it, but they require a large initial investment of time and materials to get the lava up and build the cast (my current fort is aboveground cast-obsidian, and checking back at my saves shows that I had just started digging into the first z-level at the start of year 3).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 02:09:59 am »

I have!

I actually recommend it for experienced players who've done a few regular forts, partly for the challenge but mostly for the huge FPS jump.  You can play with huge populations at very decent FPS, which opens up a lot of new possibilities.  The fort I linked is now has 407 dwarves, with an army of 168 and FPS reliably at 25.

The construction can get pretty tedious, though, especially if you for some reason decide you want everything to be round or diagonal...

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 02:14:21 am »

Not...dig...what?

You lost me.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 02:57:03 am »

I have!

holy fajoly dude!
is that ALL made of wood? clay? what?

EDIT: oh jesus, its obsidian, isn't it?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 02:58:55 am »

I have!

holy fajoly dude!
is that ALL made of wood? clay? what?

EDIT: oh jesus, its obsidian, isn't it?
it's a little more than 30k stoneware blocks
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:14:51 am by nil »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 04:22:27 am »

Quote fail.
Holy crap dude 400 dwarfs in a fort like that? You have the "Armok Aproves" stamp.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 11:04:58 am »

iv made really successful human cities before but gave up trying to make them out of wood/clay/human building materials

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 11:10:07 am »

I've tried it a few times but found the lack of stone for furnace/smelter/millstone/mechanisms maddening.
So I let myself dig out 1 square for each dwarf, it gives me a few stones and also a place to put the coffins. :)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 11:13:36 am »

Just use a crapload of clay and glass.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 11:15:39 am »

Just use a crapload of clay and glass.

but that requires wood.. a crap load of wood
making this impossible on most biomes without terraforming the fuck out of them (which requires digging)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 11:59:50 am »

Not if you embark on a exposed volcano.

Also I do believe this is refered to as the elven embark
Pages: [1] 2