Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ever tried... Not digging?  (Read 3264 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ever tried... Not digging?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 12:50:31 pm »

I made a couple of forts like this a long time ago, before .31. They were wooden forts and they were quite impressive. It takes a good bit of planning to do it properly.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 02:17:18 pm »

It helps if you mod in a kind of "sawmill" that turns a log into 10 usable blocks. Or just use a lot of clay. Lots and lots and LOTS of clay. The downside to clay is just the time it can take to "gather" it first.

And if you want to fire it first instead of just using it raw.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 02:19:57 pm »

You may want to allow yourself a stone quarry, or steal a line from the Kobold Kamp and mod in glass/brick mechanisms.  At the very least bring along a few rocks, because no mechanism means no traps, or rasing bridges.

As far as collecting clay - one more reason you need to bring at least 1 fire proof material - can't use wood to make a kiln.  Collecting clay usually isn't that limiting for me after I have a migrant wave or two - 20 kilns can collect a lot.  Then again, I don't usually bother will firing it.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 09:02:35 pm »

As a fan of Adobe building all you need is useless useless migrants and a whole heapa kilns. There's no need to fire the clay, just build huge piles of mud. It's a pity you can't make them impressively valuable without solid platinum furniture or something though. No engraving or smoothing makes Urist McDwarf a sad noble :(

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 01:54:25 am »

Just use a crapload of clay and glass.

but that requires wood.. a crap load of wood
making this impossible on most biomes without terraforming the fuck out of them (which requires digging)

It doesn't require wood at all, if you just don't fire the clay and instead build with it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 08:40:55 am »

I have!
Holy shit, dude.

Not only it is mostly circles and diagonals, there are huge chunks of it that do nothing but take up space. How many years did that take?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 04:12:53 pm »

I'm currently attempting a non-digging fort, a Hill Dwarf woodcutter's camp made of wood. So far I'm working a ceiling of the one-room cabin, and it's the beginning of summer. It's kind of difficult, but t's kept me interested.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 06:23:10 pm »

Not digging? Clearly you have spent to much time in the sun, you're starting to think like an elf.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:26:34 pm by Duntada Man »
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 08:55:13 pm »

I've done it before. Mostly because I had one level of soil and then 4 of aquifer. I finally ended up pumping out a chunk of ocean to get under the aquifer. That wasn't quite as fun as it sounds.

Actually, it's not even the Kiln that's the problem, but the furnace. Why? Because the furnace also needs fire safe, but can then produce ash. Which as we all know is fire-safe.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 10:14:18 pm »

I have!
Holy shit, dude.

Not only it is mostly circles and diagonals, there are huge chunks of it that do nothing but take up space. How many years did that take?
About 35 game years and maybe half a year, on-and-off, of reality.
Pages: 1 [2]