Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment. *SPOILERS* (and clown cannons)  (Read 9712 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After one to many waves of useless migrants on my volcano embark, I got fed up, and, deciding that enough was enough (and realizing I'd be over the titan attack threshold soon), activated the retracting bridges positioned directly over the volcano, dropping the fishery workers (on a map with no fish) into the volcano. I then discovered that the dwarves I tossed in didn't die instantly, and were kind enough to report all the happenings on the way down, including the location of raw adamantine...

W00T!

Edit: This thread has derailed, since I ended up finding a curious structure without knowing it led into the circus. I was paranoid enough to completely wall in the migrant who went to fetch the cotton candy scimitar, and the clowns couldn't get into my base. I'm now trying to think of a way to weaponize clowns, preferably in the form of a clown shooting cannon which uses cats to bait the clowns into position.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:36:11 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Re: I just had my first !SCIENCE moment.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:35:39 pm »

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA "Oh Adamantine!" OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *sssssssssssssssss*

Next time throw in the fat ones first so they take longer to die.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 02:36:09 pm »

Congratz.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA "Oh Adamantine!" OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *sssssssssssssssss*

Winning.

Also, Dwarves will only melt to death when all of their fat has been melted off...

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 02:40:04 pm »

Congratz.

Winning.

Also, Dwarves will only melt to death when all of their fat has been melted off...

So I'm guessing science has already been done on what factors affect how quickly the dorfs burn? It seems like necro would already have timed to the tick for how long it takes for magma to solve each of the problems one commonly encounters in DF.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 02:42:26 pm »

At the rate my miners are descending, I'll have adamantine weapons by the time the first goblin ambush arrives!  Lol...Of course, my only military is a squad of marksdorfs, but oh well. I also discovered a "curious structure" made out of something called slade. The wiki article about it said it was a spoiler so I didn't look. Is slade valuable? I know adamantine is!
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 02:43:20 pm »

Congratz.

Winning.

So I'm guessing science has already been done on what factors affect how quickly the dorfs burn? It seems like necro would already have timed to the tick for how long it takes for magma to solve each of the problems one commonly encounters in DF.

Not quite.
Do not forget, magma existed before Necro910. People have been experimenting with it for a long while, and you would honestly be surprised with the amount of times dwarves fall down hundreds of z lvls of lava in volcanoes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 02:45:01 pm »

At the rate my miners are descending, I'll have adamantine weapons by the time the first goblin ambush arrives!  Lol...Of course, my only military is a squad of marksdorfs, but oh well. I also discovered a "curious structure" made out of something called slade. The wiki article about it said it was a spoiler so I didn't look. Is slade valuable? I know adamantine is!

Go to [z], look for a masterwork adamantine weapon, zoom to the item, and prepare to dig towards your new goal.

Spoiler: Minor spoiler (click to show/hide)

Claim what is rightfully yours.

Also, Slade is undiggable without exploits, and it's not worth much.
(Load catapults with it... Very heavy stone.)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 02:47:27 pm »

Why not do it for the slade? I can get adamantine, and the though of finding away around my volcano and the lava sea without hitting a cavern layer is troubling to say the least. Considering the fact that a weaponsmith had a strange mood and produced an artifact crossbow, I think it will be easier to have him poop out adamantium swords until he makes a masterpiece than to figure out how to get over there.
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 02:49:16 pm »

You can't normally dig slade:[

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 02:49:49 pm »

Do the undead have ranged attacks? Cuz if not, that could help train my marksdwarves.
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 02:51:34 pm »

VICTORY! I found the adamatine vein, and it looks like this is a big one. It goes down like 18 floors from the looks of it.
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 02:52:17 pm »

Do the undead have ranged attacks? Cuz if not, that could help train my marksdwarves.

Nope, have !FUN! :D

VICTORY! I found the adamatine vein, and it looks like this is a big one. It goes down like 18 floors from the looks of it.

You should totally dig it all, just watch out for magma (Dwarves will warn you of it though).

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 02:57:41 pm »

Okay, now I'm getting a bit suspicious. Something bad's going to happen isn't it? I may be a noob, but I know what FUN means around here.
It was inevitable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 03:00:20 pm »

Okay, now I'm getting a bit suspicious. Something bad's going to happen isn't it? I may be a noob, but I know what FUN means around here.

:-X

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 03:03:48 pm »

Yeah, marksdwarves may not be the best idea. I've never found one of those, but from what I hear there are a LOT of zombies. They'd probably run out of bolts and start trying to use their crossbows as hammers. Wait till that adamantine is made into armor and try to take on the undead hordes in style. Either that or give an axe to an unarmored soldier, nickname him your favorite character from a zombie movie, and send him in alone. Might be fun to watch!
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9