Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87279 times)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #930 on: April 05, 2012, 06:05:07 pm »

We already have a nuke in place, or at least nearly in position to take out the station, so boarding it wouldn't really help us, since we can already take it out whenever we want.  Also, stations most likely hold hundreds of people, and as this is a military system they will probably be armed and well-trained.  Our little boarding party would probably be slaughtered.

How about we fire a few shots from our main railgun into the path of the destroyers.  They'll take a long time to get there, but the destroyers are accelerating towards us, so that will cut the travel time down a bit and add a huge amount of kinetic energy to each impact.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 05, 2012, 06:09:04 pm »

Well my plan is to take the control room, that is all we need of the station, from there we can really dish out damage with the station's weapons onto the Destroyers. As for the hundreds of trained military personnel on the ship, I can come up with a plan when (and if) I get on the station, but once we seize the control room it'll be pretty much game over for them as we can hit them with every weapon the station has, and tap right into their computers to mess around with them. (Which would be quite effective seeing as we have an AI, and can create a virus to crash most of the ship systems once we connect)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 05, 2012, 06:20:40 pm »

Is the station armed?
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 05, 2012, 06:41:05 pm »

Is the station armed?
As far as you know it's got the usual defensive gun batteries you'd expect a station of it's size.
From this distance you can't tell if it has anything else though.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 05, 2012, 06:47:19 pm »

"Give me a secure connection to Julius. Now."
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 05, 2012, 06:57:20 pm »

"Give me a secure connection to Julius. Now."
"I'm listening," he responds impatiently when you open comns to him.
(If you want this to be a secure transmission hidden from the crew you can always take it to PMs)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 05, 2012, 07:27:58 pm »

You know, think about why we're here:

We got promised a lucrative, though unspecified (I think...) reward from one "House" to wipe out a colony from another "House", and with no real reason given! Moreover, what the hell does this "House" want it for anyways? From what we know, it's barren. As well, if it's just a turf conflict, why are they using mercs to do it? So far, we've met with much more than what we bargained for, and the parameters are starting to set off my bullshit alarms. I don't trust either of these "Houses" as far as I could throw them, that is to say, at all.

"Urist, put the Flarewise and Firestar in alignment to jump to Tabien, but hold off on any jump, just get us ready to."
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 05, 2012, 07:50:16 pm »

We got promised a lucrative, though unspecified (I think...) reward from one "House" to wipe out a colony from another "House", and with no real reason given! Moreover, what the hell does this "House" want it for anyways? From what we know, it's barren. As well, if it's just a turf conflict, why are they using mercs to do it? So far, we've met with much more than what we bargained for, and the parameters are starting to set off my bullshit alarms. I don't trust either of these "Houses" as far as I could throw them, that is to say, at all.
The one house was using the base as a spy post and forward base of operations against the other house.  The house that hired us just wants them gone.  They are using mercs because they aren't technically at war, and would like to stay that way.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 05, 2012, 08:11:04 pm »

"Cancel all existing orders. Fighters, return to the ship immediately. Prep for warp to Tabien. No disobeying, or you can go out the air hole."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 05, 2012, 08:12:38 pm »

The one house was using the base as a spy post and forward base of operations against the other house.  The house that hired us just wants them gone.  They are using mercs because they aren't technically at war, and would like to stay that way.

Even then, who else would hire mercs to go and wipe out an outpost like that? If I were the house with that outpost, the house that hired us would be the very first on my list of "Who the hell hired mercs to blow up my outpost near/in that house's space?". If they want to avoid a war, then hiring mercs to do it is one of the worst things they could do. Especially mercs that roll up in a cargo ship and destroyer that doesn't match any known make.

I'm just saying, there are many ways this mission could go, even after it's long over. And almost none of them are good.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:15:48 pm by PyroDesu »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 05, 2012, 08:21:04 pm »

Zack quickly contacted the mechanics down in the cargo bay, "Bring the drones back in, we're warping out, and I want them on this ship in five minutes tops."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 05, 2012, 08:50:33 pm »

"Something bad go down on your private conversation, Anderson? You seem in an awful hurry to get us out of here.

Not that I'm complaining. I didn't like the sound of the job before we got here, and now I like it even less."

Arjen opens a channel to Alec.

"Alec, get your stealth-bombing butt back here on the double. We're warping out in 5 minutes, and there ain't no late bus."

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 05, 2012, 09:08:11 pm »

"Something bad go down on your private conversation, Anderson? You seem in an awful hurry to get us out of here.

Not that I'm complaining. I didn't like the sound of the job before we got here, and now I like it even less."

Arjen opens a channel to Alec.

"Alec, get your stealth-bombing butt back here on the double. We're warping out in 5 minutes, and there ain't no late bus."
The moment you open a channel to him the comns terminal seems to crash and suddenly you're locked out from it while another connection routes through it.
You hear a voice that sounds like your own command Alec to open fire and watch in horror as he complies unaware of the decit.
(It is now 3am here so you'll have to wait till mourning for the resulting chaos))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 06, 2012, 01:24:54 am »

Arjen says, very slowly and through gritted teeth, nearly incomprehensible,

"... Helios?

That wouldn't happen to be a side effect of that virus you said that you had contained?

I swear, if there is no possible way we can stop that nuclear weapon from detonating... well, I don't want to know how many civilians will have been killed, while we were about to leave peaceably.

Urist, trace whatever overrode my comms to Alec."

Open a secure connection to Alec and the station, immediately!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:27:21 am by PyroDesu »

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 06, 2012, 06:00:13 am »

By the way...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*Anderson shouts throughout the ship*
"FUCK THIS! FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK ALL OF YOU! WE HAVE A HACKER ONBOARD! BACKUP URISTS MAIN FILES, KEEP THE AI SAFE!"
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 71