Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87520 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #375 on: January 23, 2012, 10:26:12 am »

Buy lots of missiles?

Ravenhawks, interceptor clusters, maybe some more tether anchors, maybe some Fighter Destroyer Cluster Missiles? hammers might also be good. And maybe top of our fuel? we could transfer the rest to the cargo ship. Which probably would make a decent mobile base, what with the large size and expansive fuel tank.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 23, 2012, 06:11:26 pm »

Ask the smuggler if there is stealth tech available, say enough to cloak our cargo ship, either him or in the Braben Hall system.

As for supplies, no fuel. No need for it. We won't be stopping at the cargo ship. I think it can stay hiding in the asteroid field and some crew working on it, they have the shuttle to go to Tabien if need be. Planned ahead they have food.
- 6 Interceptors (90 Credits)
- 3 Ravenhawk (195 Credits)
- 30 Advanced Fabrication (90 Credits)
- 100 Gatling Rounds (100 Credits)

First, have the sub-par boarding shuttle cut up and made lightweight for very high maneuverability, then mount the Gatling turret on it. I am thinking, lightning fast with a forward mounted gun (Cyclon fighter). Use the advanced fabrication/electronic parts and get it done fast, have all extra crew prep it. It should be remote controlled, see if the AI can make a quick remote script for it.

Second, on the way have the AI fly the ship, get it used to all systems and tweak our thruster program.

The guys going to the ship I assume won't arrive for awhile, tell em to play board games or something, enjoy their time.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:06 am »

Ask the smuggler if there is stealth tech available, say enough to cloak our cargo ship, either him or in the Braben Hall system.
There's nothing that can "cloak" a ship like in the old shows but there are options.
The best way to hide a ship is to reduce the heat it gives off, hide the electrical signiture.
That kind of things can make a ship difficult to pickup on sensors.
The smuggler shares many low tech tricks he knows that can help with this but there are also things you can buy (ilegal of course).
There are "quiet" engines which are specialy designed engines that give off way less heat than they should, heat storage systems that can store heat for a while rather than radiate it into space, dampening measures to hinder detection of active onboard electronics, modifications to the exhaust ports to make the it seem like a different class of ship.
There are many ways to disguse your ship and make it harder to detect but if you want a true hidden vessel the only way that'd be possible would be to give it a feron coating.
Feron is wonderful stuff almost completely blocks thermal emissions but the cost of manufacturing it is ungodly expensive so naturaly it's also fairly rare.
The CoIW keeps a tight hold on the feron they produce, using what little they have to make fighters.

As for supplies, no fuel. No need for it. We won't be stopping at the cargo ship. I think it can stay hiding in the asteroid field and some crew working on it, they have the shuttle to go to Tabien if need be. Planned ahead they have food.
- 6 Interceptors (90 Credits)
- 3 Ravenhawk (195 Credits)
- 30 Advanced Fabrication (90 Credits)
- 100 Gatling Rounds (100 Credits)
You buy some last minute supplies.

First, have the sub-par boarding shuttle cut up and made lightweight for very high maneuverability, then mount the Gatling turret on it. I am thinking, lightning fast with a forward mounted gun (Cyclon fighter). Use the advanced fabrication/electronic parts and get it done fast, have all extra crew prep it. It should be remote controlled, see if the AI can make a quick remote script for it.
As shuttles go boarding shuttles tend to be pretty maneuverable though not much is going to make this thing faster or better.
Realising this the crew opt to take it apart and use it's parts, most of the adavnced fabrication components and some of the advanced electronics to effictively make a fighter from scratch.

The fighter was built to be unmaned and has no cockpit or any space for crew.
Due to the high quaility materials it's sturcture is actualy pretty durable while still being light.
The engine could be better but it was the best they could do with what they had.
Still due to it's light weight (nothing unnessicary was added) it's a fast little thing.
You have an option with the turret though; do you rip the turret bits out and use it as fixed weapon (much lighter) or do you mount the whole turret (can track targets)?
The AI codes a quick script to control it.

The guys going to the ship I assume won't arrive for awhile, tell em to play board games or something, enjoy their time.
They report that I spy is surprisingly fun in space because it really tests your visual acuity.

Second, on the way have the AI fly the ship, get it used to all systems and tweak our thruster program.
You undock before the merchant and wait while he goes throught the undocking procedure.
His slow lumbering ship leaves the station and the Firestar takes position beside it with Urist at the helm.
You both turn and begin heading towards the system's star which will sevre as your jump point into Galvenn.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firestar status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cargo Vessel (click to show/hide)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 24, 2012, 10:31:22 am »

Man a turret, put my shooting equipment on, and get ready for ambushes.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 24, 2012, 12:41:57 pm »

Man a turret, put my shooting equipment on, and get ready for ambushes.
The merchant vessel is slow and the Firestar flies at it's pace.
It's captain chats idlely across the comns.
He talks about alot of things during the boring journey but his obsession with Ameliliadar (it's an old spacer legend, a place few believe even exists) shines bright and clear.
He convinced he'll one day find it, if he keeps trying.
His rambling is interupted by your crew on the shuttle announcing their arrival back at the cargo ship.
They're getting to work on fixing the ship secondry systems.
Contacts appear bearing down on your position from the edge of sensor range.
It looks like 30+ smaller craft.

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 24, 2012, 12:44:22 pm »

Are all the small ships coming from one direction? If so tell the Captain to move the other way, away from the enemies. But not too far.

Meanwhile start shooting as soon as they come in range, maybe utilising the scrap shotgun we used before when they get close?

If they are coming from multiple directions tell the captain to move to the side with the lest amount of enemy ships.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 24, 2012, 12:53:18 pm »

Are all the small ships coming from one direction? If so tell the Captain to move the other way, away from the enemies. But not too far.

Meanwhile start shooting as soon as they come in range, maybe utilising the scrap shotgun we used before when they get close?

If they are coming from multiple directions tell the captain to move to the side with the lest amount of enemy ships.
You might want to tell them to back off first, maybe they'll listen.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 24, 2012, 01:35:08 pm »

Now I'm thinking we should have gotten a stealth probe. Then we could send it out and get data on our enemies right away. Well, it's a good thing to remember for next time. For now lets hail them.

Also, we shouldn't approach them, we should let them come to us and try to thin their numbers by picking them off as they approach with long-range shots.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:43:18 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 24, 2012, 01:45:35 pm »

The enemy are all coming from the same direction and you order the ship captain to move off away from them.
Turning the ship towards the attackers you order the loading of loose scrap (remember using loose scrap like a shotgun causes more wear on the railguns than normal)
They split into two groups, one moving faster and ahead of the other.
As they get closer the sensors indicate that they're a group of fighters and a group of shuttles
For now lets hail them.
You open a channel to them and a few seonds later you're listening to a boastful voice tell you to surrender your ship and let them at the merchant.
He's in a fighter judging from the background noise and seems to think your just another privateer flying a civilian ship modded for combat.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 24, 2012, 02:16:17 pm »

Fire whatever missiles or weapons will hit fastest at the nearest ships. I assume that's either the Interceptors or the Ravenhawks. Actually, fire the railguns, too, if they're in range.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 24, 2012, 02:35:28 pm »

Man (or AI) battle stations!!!  I guess Urist gets to learn combat maneuvers first hand.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 24, 2012, 02:48:51 pm »

Try to kill as many of them as fast as possible. Fire some missiles to bluff them into surrendering.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 24, 2012, 03:13:37 pm »

Fire whatever missiles or weapons will hit fastest at the nearest ships. I assume that's either the Interceptors or the Ravenhawks. Actually, fire the railguns, too, if they're in range.
They're still a good distance away and the Interceptors are medium range missiles, they'll have trouble reaching the targets till they get a bit closer.
The Ravenhawks on the other hand have no such trouble.
You launch three of them and are rewarded with three explosions.
Three enemy down.
They passing into effective range of the interceptors and you launch a volley of eight of them.
Scoring eight hits.
"That's not a...Fall back! We don't have the weaponry to deal with it! How the hell did that fool get himself a destroyer,"
Before even entering into range of scrapshot the enemy breaks off and begins fleeing back the way they came. (Scrapshot is shorter range than coherent scrap)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 24, 2012, 03:46:15 pm »

Pursue, and send a message saying that, if they don't get out of here quickly and stay away from this merchant, they better get ready to surrender.

They're still a good distance away and the Interceptors are medium range missiles, they'll have trouble reaching the targets till they get a bit closer.
Yeah, I couldn't find anything about the Interceptors' range in any recent post, so I wasn't quite sure.
Before even entering into range of scrapshot the enemy breaks off and begins fleeing back the way they came. (Scrapshot is shorter range than coherent scrap)
Do actual shells have any better range than coherent scrap?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 24, 2012, 03:47:08 pm »

Well that went well,

Continue on our way but keep an eye out.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 71