Go after the rogue Captain
- 3 (100%)
Retrive the Fragile Cargo
- 0 (0%)
Drone Clearence
- 0 (0%)
Some Easy Escourt duty
- 0 (0%)
Screw all you rule obeying fools! There are other means of credit procurement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 71

Author Topic: The Firestar  (Read 87526 times)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: The Firestar
« Reply #390 on: January 24, 2012, 04:02:59 pm »

Wow.  I think we're going to want more of those Ravenhawks!

I agree with pursuing the pirates at least a little ways.  We should probably leave the fighter back with the merchant, just in case anyone tries to loop around and get behind us.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 24, 2012, 04:28:35 pm »

Pursue, and send a message saying that, if they don't get out of here quickly and stay away from this merchant, they better get ready to surrender.
Fighters and small craft are more manuverable than the Firestar but there's nothing that's faster than it in a straight run.
You drop off the remote fighter and charge after your prey.
Closing in on the pirates you deliver you're ultimatium.
They don't send you a response.
Closing the distance on them, you bring the scrapshot into range.

Yeah, I couldn't find anything about the Interceptors' range in any recent post, so I wasn't quite sure.
You won't find it any posts, which is my bad.
With missiles if there is no mention of size, speed, agility, etc then that aspect of the missile is average
  • Gilber: Large Payload dumb fire;
At no point did I make that clear sorry.
And to make things more awkward saying "Sensor range" is a bit misleading since the smaller and less heat a craft gives off the closer it'll be to you when you detect it.
So the range in battles to begin with is a very vauge concept.
I've tried to avoid big info dumps but I'm worried I've instead made things a pretty confusing with bits of information scattered throughout the entire thread.

Do actual shells have any better range than coherent scrap?
Not much but they have way better penetrating power, excellent for hiting the vital systems in the core of the ship.

Well that went well,

Continue on our way but keep an eye out.
Yes a little too well, I'm considering making interceptors a bit more expensive.

Spoiler: Nav computer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Firestar status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cargo Vessel (click to show/hide)

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 24, 2012, 07:54:12 pm »

Finish the pirates! Scan the field for any disabled fighters or anything we can salvage at all, even if its just some frames we can work with. Yay launch my fighter! Also for the fighter I was thinking just the gun would be forward mounted. The ship is too light for the turret, due to physics the ship would be spun, taking away the rotation speed of the gun. Therefore I figure it would be better at returning fire quickly if not in a turret.

Have the crew on the cargo ship begin searching the cargo for computers and electronics, have half work on ship repairs and the other half begin linking any kind of mainframe for the AIs together.

Note - Well we did just shoot 300 credits, I think that isn't too bad for missile cost. I thought the Interceptors were close to Anti-Missile-Missiles, or fighter chasers, swarmers. They should cost no more then 25 though, up to you GM... We also need to have the rails of the gun inspected at some point. Also I find your posting style great, I don't see many holes left in the threads. If anyone has a question just ask it. Most of us following can answer.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:58:51 pm by Immortal »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 24, 2012, 09:22:01 pm »

Fire the main gun!  Kill the pirates!
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 25, 2012, 08:02:40 am »

Finish the pirates! Scan the field for any disabled fighters or anything we can salvage at all, even if its just some frames we can work with. Yay launch my fighter! Also for the fighter I was thinking just the gun would be forward mounted. The ship is too light for the turret, due to physics the ship would be spun, taking away the rotation speed of the gun. Therefore I figure it would be better at returning fire quickly if not in a turret.
The problem with fighters is that when they're destroyed their fuel tends to blow taking out the fighter.
You can find recoverable parts here and there but there isn't anything close to a complete fighter or fighter frame.
Deciding that they're silence means refuseal you open fire on the fleeing pirates.
Five fighters disappear in bright flashes of light as the combined fire from the railguns and point defense turrets rip into them.
Almost instantly the handful of fighters and shuttles that remain all change direction and fly off in as many different directions as they can.

The fighter drone has detected hostiles: 2 fighter wings and three shuttles moving in to attack the merchant.

Have the crew on the cargo ship begin searching the cargo for computers and electronics, have half work on ship repairs and the other half begin linking any kind of mainframe for the AIs together.
They find a lot terminals, consoles user interface devices and a few mainframe computers and netwroking devices.
Clearing space in one of the cargo holds they set up the mainframe and the networking devices so they can add more computers to the netwrok.
With the advanced electronic components to replace important parts of the systems they make short work of repairing ship's secondary systems.

Note - Well we did just shoot 300 credits, I think that isn't too bad for missile cost. I thought the Interceptors were close to Anti-Missile-Missiles, or fighter chasers, swarmers. They should cost no more then 25 though, up to you GM... We also need to have the rails of the gun inspected at some point. Also I find your posting style great, I don't see many holes left in the threads. If anyone has a question just ask it. Most of us following can answer.
That's exactly what they are and yes while I think I'll increase the price going higher than 25 for them would be ridiculous.
They're supposed to be expendable.
The price for them is now 20 credits.
Also while considering prices and laying down the rules for the remote drone I realised it could chew through it's ammo in about ten seconds.
So I'm retroactively changing it so Gatling Round: 1 credit per 10 rounds.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 25, 2012, 08:04:29 am »

Get the MOTHERFUCK to the merchant and defend it!
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 25, 2012, 09:12:05 am »

This.

Have the fighter drone flank them, kill its engines and drift towards them. That way it won't appear on sensors. Have it open fire when its in a good position to do most damage.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 25, 2012, 09:48:59 am »

One problem: momentum.
You where flying flast to catch the fighters so you'll need a minute or two to slow down before you can head back.
Throwing open the forward exhaust vents, Urist tries to slow the ship down so you can head back.

Have the fighter drone flank them, kill its engines and drift towards them. That way it won't appear on sensors. Have it open fire when its in a good position to do most damage.
The drone fighter flies to the side of the path of the oncoming fighters and kills it's engines.
The heat from the engine doesn't effectively dissapate and the onbaord electronics produce heat, so it's still visible.
But without the heat from having the engine on full burn to light up their sensors it manages to get pretty close before being spotted.
Firing it's engine it straffes the entire fighter wing riddling several with holes.
One backs off leaking fuel from it's engine, two take minor damage but seem unphased, one explodes in bright orange fireball and another flies mindlessly forward it's canopy splattered with the blood of it's pilot.
The remaining seven fighters focus their attention on the drone.
It valiently tries to dodge their fire as they try to corner.
In an intese dogfight it downs another enemy but takes several hits.
It's a sturdy drone but it's systems are failing and it's fuel tank has taken a hit.
The merchant's point defense guns take down one shuttle as they race to board while the fighter drone is distracted.

The shuttles have already afixed to the merchant vessel and tring to cut their way in when the Firestar arrives to the scene.

Meanwhile the cargo ship reports a new contact on their sensors...it's a lance destroyer.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 25, 2012, 09:53:30 am »

Ya see? This is what we bought missile for!

Fire on the shuttles and fighters with only five interceptors. Try and angle the shots so that the blast radius hits one or two ships. Meanwhile, load the hammer missiles and Ravenhawks and the blinders so we can damage the lance destroyer if necessary.

(How big is a lance destroyer and how powerful is it?)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 25, 2012, 09:58:26 am »

What's the distance between the destroyer and the Firestar/cargo ship. Hail it and ask it wat it's doing here.
Anyway, shoot the boarding vessels before they can cut through the hull.

Fire all weapons and cannons, load coherent scrap into the railguns and fire(on the fighters if the destroyer is out of range/friendly).
Use the most precise weapon to kill the 2 boarding shuttles before they can get inside(Use missiles if needed).
Maybe get the drone inside for repairs?
Contact the merchant to see if enemies got inside(and also to warn him not to get to close to were the boarding shuttles are entering).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:00:03 am by 10ebbor10 »

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 25, 2012, 10:01:22 am »

What's the distance between the destroyer and the Firestar/cargo ship. Hail it and ask it wat it's doing here.
Anyway, shoot the boarding vessels before they can cut through the hull.

Fire all weapons and cannons, load coherent scrap into the railguns and fire(on the fighters if the destroyer is out of range/friendly).
Use the most precise weapon to kill the 2 boarding shuttles before they can get inside(Use missiles if needed).
Maybe get the drone inside for repairs?
Contact the merchant to see if enemies got inside(and also to warn him not to get to close to were the boarding shuttles are entering).

Not this. Just because it's out of range doesn't mean when it is in range it can't kill us. I don't want to be dead, do you?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 25, 2012, 10:04:55 am »

Ya see? This is what we bought missile for!

Fire on the shuttles and fighters with only five interceptors. Try and angle the shots so that the blast radius hits one or two ships. Meanwhile, load the hammer missiles and Ravenhawks and the blinders so we can damage the lance destroyer if necessary.

(How big is a lance destroyer and how powerful is it?)
Oh sorry I didn't make that clear: the merchant vessel your escourting is being attacked by pirates(where you are).
Your cargo ship which you left in the scrapyard has just been found by the military destroyer (only military vessel in the entire system) that was out there specificly looking for it.
It's a several hour journey away.

It's slightly smaller than the Firestar. It's got eight point defense turrets, three heavy turrets mounting tripple railguns each (scaled down versions of what the firestar uses) 20 missile bays (it's supplied by the military so it'll think nothing of launching all it's large supplies of missiles at you if things turn nasty).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:08:06 am by Jerick »

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 25, 2012, 10:06:05 am »

PHEEEEW.

So that military destroyer knows it's ours?

In that case, FIRE AWAY! RAVENHAWKS ON THE TWO BOARDING SHUTTLES!

And also,
Send a crew member on the LR boarding shuttle to the military destroyer, hailing it and informing it that it's ours if they didn't already know.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 25, 2012, 10:17:05 am »

PHEEEEW.

So that military destroyer knows it's ours?

In that case, FIRE AWAY! RAVENHAWKS ON THE TWO BOARDING SHUTTLES!

And also,
Send a crew member on the LR boarding shuttle to the military destroyer, hailing it and informing it that it's ours if they didn't already know.
Well, technically it isn't ours and we told them sometime ago something happened to it so it might not be good if they find out we had it all along (Has the destroyer already spotted the cargoship: if so we have a problem) If not, try to hide/jump away.

Also I meant if the destroyer was out of our railguns, in that case it would have been better just to shoot the fighters first and then reload.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 25, 2012, 10:18:57 am »

Mmhm. Maybe we could tell them we had been working on fixing the ship after we found it? We could say we just found it and only managed to patch it with the help of an AI. Don't say the whole truth, but don't say the whole lie.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 71