Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia 20 - Game Over!  (Read 61921 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia 20 - Stalkers in Space - Day 1
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2011, 02:11:13 am »

Shark: How do you plan to win this game?
Not sure if i'm overthinking it, but I think this question is rolefishing, because to answer, the person answering has to talk about their win conditions. I don't really like to answer that kind of question. But my general plan across all games that I've developed is that no matter what team, is to never overreact to things, it never works. Otherwise, I wing it based on role and situation. I don't have much experience so i'm still experimenting with playstyles.

I'm not asking RVS like questions, I don't like it. I don't really have material to scumhunt with yet, so i'm waiting for some actual material to question. I could try asking some questions, but people like nuke do not seem to be play seriously until after RVS, I don't want to judge people when they're dicking around because they have nothing to do in day 1.

First off, this comes across more as overly cautious play.  You're taking a softball question and make an accusation of rolefishing (scummy, since the only thing he could divine is your faction, not your specific role) while dodging the answer at the same time.  Town, scum, and third parties are all going to claim to be vanilla town, and give some variant of the typical "I plan to hunt scum and live" spiel everyone gives.

Why are you so afraid of telling us how you plan to win as town?  Don't want us to be able to tell when you're violating your own strategy so we can't bust you for it?  Or are you so wrapped up in your plans as scum you see a potential scumslip behind every post and refuse to even answer an easy RVS question?

Also, avoiding RVS is somewhat anti-town.  The entire purpose is to get the scumhunting started.  If you don't like it, make like NUKE and do something outrageous or unorthodox to move things along.  Come up with your preferred alternative to RVS, and try it.  What you do not do, EVER, is come out and say you're going to lurk until something interesting happens.  Lurking and waiting on others is scummy because it does nothing to help town at all.

You're making this too easy, Shark
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2011, 02:17:35 am »

But it was still worth taking the time to correct it, in Random Vote Stage- why?  What was the harm in leaving your vote there while you went to class?

It would have bugged me. I don't like leaving things where they don't belong.

Not sure if i'm overthinking it, but I think this question is rolefishing, because to answer, the person answering has to talk about their win conditions. I don't really like to answer that kind of question. But my general plan across all games that I've developed is that no matter what team, is to never overreact to things, it never works. Otherwise, I wing it based on role and situation. I don't have much experience so i'm still experimenting with playstyles.

This talk of rolefishing seems to have gotten to you. I was hoping that if you were scum you'd make some silly mistake like saying you'd try to find and lynch "threats" instead of "scum" or something like that. You called it rolefishing and refused to answer because scum would incriminate themselves if they were truthful. I can honestly say I wasn't expecting that sort of overreaction. Mafia lesson: scum can be reasonably expected to lie if doing so makes them look more like town.

My vote has found a home for now.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2011, 02:18:55 am »

EBWOP: Damn you Other Urist. That's what I get for leaving my reply for a few minutes.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2011, 02:28:54 am »

This tells me nothing.

I want insight, not excuses.

You won't find the insight you're looking for by looking at me, that's for sure. It was a spontaneous thing.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2011, 02:50:30 am »

The Monitor
Mysteriousbluepuppet: Pandarsenic
Orangebottle: Jack AT, Leafsnail, NativeForeigner, Shark
Pandarsenic: Shakerag
Shakerag: NUKE9.13
Shark: Dariush, IronyOwl, Urist Imiknorris, Urist_McArathos
Urist Imiknorris: Toaster
Urist_McArathos: Mysteriousbluepuppet

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Tuesday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2011, 04:16:23 am »

MBP: There will not be additional aliens. Questioning whether we're positioned as such because the RNG already gave us extra or whatevs is just wine.

Unvote
Orangebottle
: Does it really not seem problematic to you that your logic appears to be "It's okay for me to rolefish, because he can bullshit me," ignoring that the same thing would make him a danger to every town role? Are you attempting to make him endanger town roles?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2011, 05:11:33 am »

I was hoping that if you were scum you'd make some silly mistake like saying you'd try to find and lynch "threats" instead of "scum" or something like that.
...that's ridiculously stupid.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2011, 05:20:28 am »

Indeed it is, but it would have provided something to start questioning him on. If stupid things help find scum then I'm all for them.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2011, 07:15:11 am »

Hmm.
Interesting.

Shark. Are you town?
Long Live United Forenia!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2011, 07:47:26 am »

Indeed it is, but it would have provided something to start questioning him on. If stupid things help find scum then I'm all for them.
How would the fact that Shark used 'threats' instead of 'scum' help you find scum?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2011, 08:11:27 am »

I would ask him what sort of threats he was referring to, and sort of wing it from there.

I will admit it was a bad example.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2011, 08:31:22 am »

Wing it how?

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2011, 11:38:28 am »

As you guys can see, how i've only made one post, it turns out that i'm not really in to this mafia game for some reason. I'm just finding it boring. I have no motivation and it would be much better for the game if I was replaced. Sorry about this, I don't know why this just isn't fun for me, despite that I've had fun with previous games here.

I'm requesting a replacement, if possible.
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

Jokerman-EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2011, 11:51:18 am »

I'm not asking RVS like questions, I don't like it. I don't really have material to scumhunt with yet, so i'm waiting for some actual material to question. I could try asking some questions, but people like nuke do not seem to be play seriously until after RVS, I don't want to judge people when they're dicking around because they have nothing to do in day 1.

First off, this comes across more as overly cautious play.  You're taking a softball question and make an accusation of rolefishing (scummy, since the only thing he could divine is your faction, not your specific role) while dodging the answer at the same time.  Town, scum, and third parties are all going to claim to be vanilla town, and give some variant of the typical "I plan to hunt scum and live" spiel everyone gives.

Why are you so afraid of telling us how you plan to win as town?  Don't want us to be able to tell when you're violating your own strategy so we can't bust you for it?  Or are you so wrapped up in your plans as scum you see a potential scumslip behind every post and refuse to even answer an easy RVS question?

Also, avoiding RVS is somewhat anti-town.  The entire purpose is to get the scumhunting started.  If you don't like it, make like NUKE and do something outrageous or unorthodox to move things along.  Come up with your preferred alternative to RVS, and try it.  What you do not do, EVER, is come out and say you're going to lurk until something interesting happens.  Lurking and waiting on others is scummy because it does nothing to help town at all.

You're making this too easy, Shark

If you already know what every faction is going to claim to be/do/say, then why is it a huge deal to you what Shark says? Do you need him to feed you what you just claimed to know was a lie, just to satisfy your sense of rightness?

I disagree that avoiding RVS is a scummy move. I don't think I really need to explain that, but if I do then let me know. I'll make sure to use my extra-large Comic Sans to explain it to you.

Overall, this feels like a bandwagon with shaky reasoning at best. You're the fourth vote on Shark, so you must be convinced of his scumminess and be ready to lynch him, right? Because vote four isn't a pressure vote in almost any case.

Wing it how?

This. There's a lot of talk about "winging it" and I don't like it. That's an easy way to avoid suspicion when your lynch target flips town: "Oh, uh, I was just winging it, you know. So it wasn't really my fault." The point of asking someone for what they would do in a certain situation is to observe if they actually do what they said they would do when that situation actually happens.

So Urist I, let's get specific. You must have something in mind. What would you do if you got unsatisfactory answers?
Quote from: Solifuge
Jokerman + Solifuge 4 Ever. // <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Org
Derpa  herp // Derpy derp derp herp derp
Quote from: Toaster
BLARG IM DED

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2011, 12:56:19 pm »

Unvote
Orangebottle
: Does it really not seem problematic to you that your logic appears to be "It's okay for me to rolefish, because he can bullshit me," ignoring that the same thing would make him a danger to every town role? Are you attempting to make him endanger town roles?
I asked the question because I wanted to know if he would claim immediately to avoid being targeted by town roles, or if he wouldn't claim and let a few townies die for the chance of scum also dying. AKA I wanted to know how he would use it.
So, yes and no.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40