Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising  (Read 28894 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2013, 09:02:20 am »

Played about an hour of this. Its pretty fantastic. Some things aren't entirely there yet but its beta. I'm liking the realtime combat ala distant worlds.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2013, 09:14:47 am »

So I jumped into a game blind and I'm very pleasantly surprised at how easy this game is to pick up. Also, I adore the graphics. Very very nice. I have 2 questions so far though:

1) Is there a way to zoom in on the ship design screen? It looks very small and my eyes are derpy.
2) Is there locational damage? Like can specific components be knocked out in combat or is it just an arbitrary health bar?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2013, 09:19:11 am »

So I jumped into a game blind and I'm very pleasantly surprised at how easy this game is to pick up. Also, I adore the graphics. Very very nice. I have 2 questions so far though:

1) Is there a way to zoom in on the ship design screen? It looks very small and my eyes are derpy.
Not that I've found, but I'd really like for this to be a feature as well! Also, figuring out how much space is needed for each component would be very nice. You can sort of judge from the picture, but...

2) Is there locational damage? Like can specific components be knocked out in combat or is it just an arbitrary health bar?

Yeah! Select a ship that's been in combat and you'll see. Each square has its own HP bar, which means that they can take out specific systems :) Not sure how penetration works though!

Also, Hemmingjay, you are the most wonderful person I know!

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2013, 09:20:25 am »

Jeez, Hemmingjay is a legend. I gave away loads of games in the giveaway thread... ;) ;D lol

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2013, 09:34:03 am »

Hemmingjay is the Batman of Other Games, except that he hands out games instead of beatings and one-liners.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2013, 09:35:05 am »

Not that I've found, but I'd really like for this to be a feature as well! Also, figuring out how much space is needed for each component would be very nice. You can sort of judge from the picture, but...

From my experience when you select a component it sticks to your cursor. The component on your cursor is equal to the amount of space it'll take up; so if you hover over the ship and the component covers 4 squares, it'll take up 4 squares. That's only going off my experience with like 3-4 components, though, and having a number in the stats would also be nice xD

Also, excellent! I love locational damage :D
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2013, 09:47:34 am »

Yeah, but one of the initial flak guns for the humans doesn't seem to fit anywhere, including frigates. I GUESS they take up 3x3 or 3x2 or something, but I'm not really sure. I've tried the Mk I Eyeball method of seeing roughly where it stands, but ... yeah... :P

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2013, 10:02:03 am »

There also appears to be a limit on where you can put them, as the tiles have different classes. I (internal), IO (No idea) and E (External) and some things like the starting armour can't go on external slots and others have other limits, too. I assume weapons can't be placed internally as that would be somewhat counterproductive :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2013, 10:14:18 am »

I've actually got this game.  Even in the extremely early closed beta it overpowered my graphics, and I didn't have a mousewheel so nothing worked very well.  Gonna try again, this time with graphics.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2013, 10:21:30 am »

Yeah the game is not optimised very well right now.

Also for battlecruisers I seem to be at a loss on what to fit on them, they amount of space on them is loads.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2013, 10:53:58 am »

Anyone tried playing this game without a mousewheel?  How do you... zoom?

Lorgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2013, 11:16:54 am »

This popped up again on Rock Paper Shotgun last night, and I spent some time reading about things. Looks great, like an affordable version of distant worlds (and much more friendly, too). I was fairly unimpressed when I first came across it ages ago: "Space animals? Try harder." However, having seen a video or three I've warmed up to the idea, especially as there looks like plenty of other fun stuff in there. Not to mention Captain Birdseye with his pipe and the tiny cybernetic Spaceowls.

As the impressions from others seem so positive, I might just have buy it next time I have some money!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2013, 11:19:12 am »

Sounds like I may have to look into this one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2013, 12:58:27 pm »

I tried it and it's not bad, in fact it's pretty good even for a beta, but there wasn't really something that made me go "oh that's new".

It might still be the best modern 4X, even if it's not inventing anything, it seems really polished in all aspects (maybe just missing some content, since it's still not the final release). The research tree is fairly large and you don't burn through it too fast. Instead of going the route of "more advanced is better", it simply gives you more toys to play with. The ships and parts get larger but the old ones are still relevant. For instance you can unlock an antimatter power core for your ships, but it's too large to fit on your small/medium hulls, and even on the larger ones it might still be more efficient to use old nuclear reactors, depending on how you build your ship.

Similarly, you can unlock a terraformer building, but the biospheres are still useful because there are always a number of tiles that will remain uncolonizable even on a Terran planet (things like deserts and oceans i guess).

I think that the best thing in this game is the real-time element. In-game mechanics still rely on some sort of tick/turn that occurs every 5 seconds, but since you don't click on an "End turn" button you don't get that feeling that you must check on every little thing every turn, and since you can still pause/slow/accelerate the game, you can still micromanage or fast forward to your heart's content.

So, yeah, definitely check it out if you like 4X games, this one gets it right (at least in my opinion). Also noteworthy, after a couple games, I tried the "cybernetic" option in the race creation (for my humans), and it's really interesting to play. It may be overpowered, i'm not sure, but it's definitely game-changing while retaining most of the original balance (basically it means that you don't need nor care about food and fertility on your planets, only about production). Maybe one of the only bad elements that I noticed, was that your success depends a lot on your luck in the random map generation. You can end up close to a dozen of lush, rich terran planets, and find useful artifacts at your doorstep, or end up surrounded by useless gas giants, volcanic planets and empty systems, and find only crappy stuff when you investigate an anomaly.

A small begginer's tip : refit your ships to use warp drives as soon as you start a game. The normal drives still have a warp factor, but much less, and most of the time, your transports, explorers and colony ships will be in warp. You can also make more efficient versions of all the base designs, so don't neglect that. Also, something that i learned : if your "power recharge" (from nuclear reactors and such) is too low, your ship will have to stop to recharge during long warps, which totally sucks, but on the other hand, if it has green "recharge at warp", you can totally scrap fuel cells from your design -unless it's a military ship with specific types of energy weapons.

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2013, 01:14:09 pm »

I got this game as well and, all things told, it's pretty good. It definitely scratches that 4x itch. Tech is interesting, and the ship designing is impressive (it always awesome to see your newly designed fleet take out the enemy). Additionally, the races are fun to play around interact with.

However, the game does have balance issues. Certain things (like the Cybernetic trait that Sirian mentioned) can almost win the game for you outright. Diplomacy could also use some work, and the races could use a little tweaking so that they act like unique factions(something like alpha centauri would be amazing). The random generator can also screw you over big time in the beginning if you don't get good planets near your homeworld.

All in all, it's worth a try, and I can't wait to see the end product.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:17:13 pm by azurelao »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21