Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Advanced combat strategem.  (Read 4115 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced combat strategem.
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 10:33:44 pm »

!!KUNG-FU!! (Or something to that extent)

Could you perhaps brutalize some elves for their wooden spears, then sneak around the edge of a bandit camp, set a bush on fire and drop a spear next to it until it ignites, then impale your unwary enemies with flaming javelins? I'll have to test that at some point. If it works as planned, I expect this sort of message:
The !!wooden spear!! strikes the Human Axeman in the upper body, jamming the right true rib through the right lung and tearing the right lung!
The !!wooden spear!! has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Human Axeman is caught in a burst of flames!
The Human Axeman is melting!
The Human Axeman is melting! x3
The Human Axeman is melting! x2
The Human Axeman is melting!
The Human Axeman is melting! x7
Human Axeman has bled to death.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:02:07 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 03:42:25 am »

Hmmm... By this.. martial art, what are we talking about? Methodical combat for certain situations using hand-to-hand and wrestling? Though I'm not much of a DF player, I would be glad to try. Then we can have !!KUNG-FU!! (Or something to that extent)
Mod in Knees and Elbows = Karate. :)
Or Tae Kwon Do.
Or Systema.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 05:21:44 am »

Snipe using singing arrows then finish the incapacitated victim off with a longsword in my other hand. Surviving without a shield against anything, by sneaking. Beating dragonfire by not being seen  :D

But first, training my wrestling against the last person who keeps on going K.O. by C:'Close Combat', somehow when push comes to shove the game will put in a random Throw; making the victim fly-weight, sometimes tossing em for three screens or more with the blood trail to mark!

@DrKillPatient: You would be melting yourself before you get the chance to throw it though  :P

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 05:32:31 am »

I recruit lots of followers.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 09:31:16 am »

@DrKillPatient: You would be melting yourself before you get the chance to throw it though  :P

It seems you don't melt immediately. What I did was set a tree/bush on fire and leave the wooden spear in the fire until it became an XspearX, then stepped into the fire for one frame and picked it up. At this point it became a !!XspearX!! and I could throw it. I overestimated the spear piercing power, however, and it's often deflected by normal clothing. You can, however, do this to flammable clothing or wooden armor to set people on fire from a distance if you can throw it so that it lands near them.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 08:50:27 pm »

I've had some bad experiences with that sort of business with Genesis. Flaming arrows are included in the game, however they seem to be VERY hot. I think I've scorched myself more times than anything else has. If you're quick, you should be able to pick up the spear and throw it in a turn quick enough to not catch fire. You might have some after issues however. I'm not sure if the armor manages to take heat from the environment or what but I always managed to melt a few turns after being away from any fire.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 01:08:56 pm »

Bite throat
Latch on
Shake throat

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 12:09:17 pm »

Generally speaking the first thing you should do when fighting multiple humanoid opponents is go for any easy hit/move that will cause pain/bleeding, since that will either make them flee or at least slow them way down and severely hamper their attack rolls. What others have said about feet is good, of course, but if you've got a high wrestling skill (which you should have, since it's really easy to train), there's a bunch of very simple opening moves that hamper the enemy's ability to fight. Attacks on the eyes, ears and nose from the wrestling menu are all good choices, but if you play Genesis, a great way to start a fight is to rip off your opponents testicles, since it almost never fails and it kind of takes their mind out of the fight quite quickly. (Actually, I'm probably going to stop using that, since it's kind of gamey, to be honest, and really armor should prevent that sort of thing.)

For the last adventurer I played, I eventually started grinding by taking out every bandit camp I could find on a good size Genesis map, since I wanted to challenge the eyeless hare demon that ruled one of the human civilizations. I was getting bored, so I started doing some pretty flamboyant stuff, like going in with my weapon hand empty, wrestling away the weapon of the first guy I met, killing him and the guys next to him with it, then throwing the weapon at the next guy who wasn't quite in melee range. Eventually, of course, humanoid opponents didn't really give me trouble (except for the odd arrow), but that hare demon was a really tough little bugger.

(Haven't really done much in adventure since that character, since he pretty much reached the limits of what's currently achievable in adventure, short of making a fortress for the express purpose of allowing access to a candy cane. I'm waiting till the next release to do adventure again, since there should be a bunch more interesting stuff to do.)

Lycus

• Bay Watcher
  • Death is just another form of winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 09:16:15 pm »

Slashing weapons user: Remove limbs. More strategically, remove weapon-wielding limbs, or things like horns on minotaurs.

Stabby & Crushy weapons user: Just break things and cause pain. Simple.

Archer: Pfft, you're screwed.

Barbarian: Punch them in the eye.
Whilst I may not be the most successful Adventurer, I have a lot of fun dying.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 05:43:35 pm »

Equiped - left hand: shield, right hand: none.
Quiver of arrows/bolts for throwing at medium-far range
Bag of spears to throw at short range/use in emergency
Dagger in pack, also in case of emergency (or butchering).

Before melee engagement: throw bolts/spears until melee range
Step 1: take an opponent's weapon
Step 2: throw weapon at another opponent
Step 3: steal said opponent's weapon
Step 4: repeat steps 2&3 for each opponent
Step 5: Save last stolen weapon to slaughter the unarmed foes.
Step 6: Maybe choke a few of them.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 07:39:41 pm »

I've taken a liking of using a sort of method that Obok Meatgod had done, only I do it alittle differently:

Step 1: Bite hand/foot
Step 2: Shake off
Step 3: Run off
Step 4: See if they survive
Step 5: Repeat steps 1-5 until I finish them off with a punch to the head.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Leif

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 06:02:07 pm »

The most effective strategy I use right now is to aim every attack at the chest. If I have no weapon im still fine, as I have modded in breakable necks. It's great.
Indeed.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 12:06:34 am »

Oh...this and that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Among other things.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 09:56:38 pm »

I like useing spears.  Stabbing the upper body should hit the lungs pretty quickly, and stabbing the lower body should make him start vomiting after a bit.  I like both.  Once the dude is unable to do much besides not get hit in the head, move on to someone else.  If he doesn't bleed out, kill him later.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 05:22:01 am »

No to Necro this thread?
Pages: 1 [2] 3