Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Advanced combat strategem.  (Read 4116 times)

Leif

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopi
    • View Profile
Advanced combat strategem.
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:54:24 am »

Hi all, I had an idea of a thread in which everybody posts their advanced combat methods. All welcome.
Indeed.

kissa3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced combat strategem.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:59:46 am »

take the feet. hack on everything else till it dies.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 05:22:12 am »

Sneak > Grab Enemy In Choke > Grab Weapon > Choke Enemy > Disarm If Enemy Sees You / Disarm As Soon As Enemy Unconscious > Punch Enemy In Head Until Mortally Wounded Or Dead > Take A Step Away.

If Interrupted at any point, deliver a singular rapid Punch to the Victims Lower Body, and Run out of sight, then Hide again.

Theres alot more to tack on, but thats it, as it basically is.
I have a whole Notepad Doc of methods with which Ill be Serial Killing My way through the next Update.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 06:18:25 am »

It's not exactly novel (and not exactly foolproof, either) but I have usually levelled up my sneaking and throwing while alone in the wilderness, so my more physical attack methods are always quite a bit lower and which of those I end up resorting to (including plain old wrestling moves) depends a lot on what I'm currently trying to get a result out of, modified by how scared I currently am of the enemy(/ies) involved.

So, I throw the usual assortment of bagged (or grabbed from the ground) stones and vomit and whole corpses and whatever other rubbish I am able to utilise (that isn't going to be useful as actual armour or hand-held weaponry) until the enemy goes unconscious (or until the last significant enemy is unconscious, when there's multiple allies-of-target, or just multiple generic auto-hostiles, in the same location) then I go in for whatever random mêlée attack strikes me as useful.  "Useful" depends on whether I'm looking for immediate effectiveness (especially while attempting to quickly dispatch one unconscious member of a target group so that I can stop them waking up and revealing my location to the others) or if I want to practice wrestling-holds or some other form of non-fatal torture in a more long-term manner (according to time-to-spare/boredom-threshold and of course any chance of being discovered red handed, or whatever colour they'd be with the given targets particular brand of oozing ichor on them).

Being discovered too early usually leads to me trying to get behind the nearest tree/tunnel bend and re-sneaking, but occasionally I have to fight, and sometimes (especially when I was hunting or just generally practising combat on wildlife) I now need to actually give chase as I'm being fleed from.  Not done enough Adventuring in the newer versions of .31.x to know if this is still the case, but more than once a specifically quested-for bandit chief seems to have done a runner while I was still dispatching the peripheries of his entourage, and I've had to Travel away and back again and sometimes have never actually found him and so just moved onto the next nearest major figure that I'd essentially accepted the no-payment bounty on.  (This, in particular, is why I like to quickly incapacitate and then kill some auxiliary targets, first, any pretensions to swordsmanship/whatever be darned.)

But not doing so as much Adventuring, recently, I've a feeling I'm thinking in an outmoded method.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 04:55:15 pm »

longsword in the dominant hand, other hand empty, grab the target by the upper body, slash at neck or lower body, bisections and decapitations all around :D

oh yea it might just be cus i'm playing a Qunari from fanciful creatures.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:40:39 am by Xotano »
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 02:08:07 pm »

I usually hack the feet and the hands, if the enemy really angered me I get it to unconsciousness and bite off the fingers and toes.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 02:17:02 pm »

I go for things like this:

Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 02:58:04 pm »

ouch.
I am a Goober.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 04:51:09 pm »

Bite or scratch the body.

Or whip it.

I do that.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 09:04:53 pm »

Shortblade in the right hand left hand empty. Unless their bigger charge them and grab their weapon with the left hand. Strip them of their weapon, if this fails step back and allow them to close with you. Strike at a foot or one of the hands depending on whether or not you stripped them of their weapon. If the foot is hit capitalize on their inability to stand by stomping or stabbing their vital areas until they can't take it anymore and if the hand is hit strike the other hand so they drop their weapon and capitalize on your monopoly on force by wrestling and striking to beat them unconcious until mercifully slashing their throat.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 10:05:15 pm »

I'm trying some unarmed strategies in Adventure mode currently. Here's a fun one which works well with groups, but make sure to have reasonable decent striking, throwing, and wrestling before you give it a try:
- Run toward the first person to come at you from the group
- Grab their weapon with one hand
- Punch their weapon hand with your other hand. You should shatter their hand's bone and they'll usually drop their weapon because of it. (If you have a dagger in one hand already, you can just cut off their weapon hand.)
- The enemy will be either open to attack or totally unconscious at this point. Go for the head with your newly acquired weapon. (Again, if you have a dagger, slash their throat and continue on)
- Toss the downed enemy's weapon at the next approaching enemy. It might even get lodged in something important so you can pull it out and use it against them when they get close enough.

A few more notes:
- If only a single enemy is left standing: set a tree on fire, lure them near it, and hold them up against it by the neck while repeatedly punching them in the upper/lower body. Extremely satisfying. Optionally, break all their limbs and joints, then set the tree on fire and just stand there staring as they, now an amorphous blob of muscle interspersed with bone dust, slowly melt.
- High agility and striking generally means you can break enemies' weapon hands with a punch or two before they can attack you effectively. Be sure you're able to dodge or run if that fails.
- If you've got two spears, an edged weapon, and some unarmed skill: punch/kick/wrestle someone until they go unconscious. Cut off both their hands (cleanly, preferably. Can't have them bleed out!) and plant a spear in each eye. Proceed to run off trolololololing quietly to yourself.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 10:07:57 pm »

I don't really have a stratagem, unless I'm completely unarmed and with good wrestling skill, which in that case, would be to run away a bit, isolate a target, disarm target, choke target into unconsciousness, rape kill target by auto attacking him with "close combat" on. 

I wish someone would actually develop a Martial Art for other DF players to use. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »

I don't really have a stratagem, unless I'm completely unarmed and with good wrestling skill, which in that case, would be to run away a bit, isolate a target, disarm target, choke target into unconsciousness, rape kill target by auto attacking him with "close combat" on. 

I wish someone would actually develop a Martial Art for other DF players to use.

Has to be DF-level insane, though. Biting Out Teeth and Spitting Them Through People's Brains-jitsu?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 10:12:27 pm »

It would be a very interesting addition to the Adventure mode guide on the wiki. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Joost66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 10:19:24 pm »

Hmmm... By this.. martial art, what are we talking about? Methodical combat for certain situations using hand-to-hand and wrestling? Though I'm not much of a DF player, I would be glad to try. Then we can have !!KUNG-FU!! (Or something to that extent)
Hello. Have a nice day.
Pages: [1] 2 3