Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150214 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Striking the ROM! (In a productive way)
« Reply #240 on: December 05, 2011, 02:53:05 pm »

Posting to watch. Let me know if you guys want some English help or are willing to hold me by the hand and help me code or something.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 05, 2011, 03:17:25 pm »

Mmk, Slag line attacks and stats:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It'd probably be caught early to mid 20s. Not sure if I'll do sprites, but my ideas were for a whitish-purplish slug with lightning bolt eye stalks for Slag and something similar but darker with a shell (except instead of a normal shell swirl, there's just an 8-bit looking zero on it) for FPSnail. Input's appreciated as usual!

Also, does anyone have a problem viewing my spoilered code-chunks where the code bit is only tall enough for about 2 lines to be readable? I can't figure out what the problem is and whether it's some specific formatting mistake on my part or if it's just me.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2011, 03:20:10 pm »

It's just you.

I see lots of lines in your post.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2011, 03:21:37 pm »

Your elf got CREEPY.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 05, 2011, 03:41:24 pm »

No, it's me too. I had to copy past to get the whole thing. Meant to comment on that.

@GlyphGryph- how many sprites does a given Mon need?

2 per sprite. Pokedex/enemy sprite, and over the shoulder battle sprite. Some will also need a worldmap sprite although that should be rare.

But what fun is that? We could also roll with Boatblanked having Flame Body (30% chance for Pokemon that contact it to get burned), Uncarp with Water Absorb (regains HP when hit by water attacks) and Perlihorn having Natural Cure (cures status ailments whenever it leaves battle)
Oooh... I like those. I like those a lot. Is there a Dark Absorb type ability instead of the water absorb though? I feel like the Uncarp would make more sense with a dark-focused special, being undead and all. Maybe one that makes it immune to poison and/or sleep would make sense?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 05, 2011, 03:52:44 pm »

Immunity can't be poisoned, Insomnia/Vital Spirit can't be put to sleep, Inner Focus prevents Flinching, Shield Dust prevents ADDED effects (so Thunder Wave still paralyzes, but Thunder/Thunder Bolt won't, for instance). I think those are the relevant ones. Oh and no Dark absorb, just Water and Electric I think.

I'm figuring out which moveset/stats to work on next. I'm thinking we should focus on mons we think will be in the first route so that we can get them into the game and actually have something to play. Which ones do people think would fit that bill? Basically this means they're probably small/weakish in their first evolution, have 2 or 3 stages, typically there's a bird, and they have slightly lower overall end-game stats. A cave swallow-based line? The kobold one? Plump helmets? Something else? Also, themes/descriptions/type choices help a LOT in picking out a moveset, stats, and an ability, so if you come up with an idea come up with at least some of those (specifically type choices).

Also, looking at the Dwarfomon concept page we could use some more bugs, flying, and fighting mons ideas.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:55:25 pm by Bluerobin »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 05, 2011, 04:02:50 pm »

The Crundle line I finished the sprites for is intended to be the rat equivalent. I think making the first route underground would fit the theme as well. Been working on themes and descriptions, hopefully I'll get some of my recent conversations content into the wiki.

I think the Plump Helmet Spawn we've got a sprite for might make a good initial route monster as well. So a normal type, a grass type, and... one more, I guess.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 05, 2011, 04:07:42 pm »

If we do an underground route 1 (which I like the idea of), the cave swallows might work? Assuming we wanted to stay to the bird-on-route-1 convention. Otherwise... I dunno, an Olm line or something? Are the Crundles going to be straight Normal the whole way? Or Normal -> Normal/something (Ground/Dark?). I'm not against straight Normals, especially from the first route, just curious. Same with the Plump Helmets (and how many evolutions for that line?).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:10:00 pm by Bluerobin »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 05, 2011, 04:22:11 pm »

Also, looking at the Dwarfomon concept page we could use some more bugs, flying, and fighting mons ideas.

For bug we could probabl use bees. Also earlier today I was thinking of what could be the cocoon bug and I was thinking maybe we could have a mealworm beetle based line?

If we do an underground route 1 (which I like the idea of), the cave swallows might work? Assuming we wanted to stay to the bird-on-route-1 convention. Otherwise... I dunno, an Olm line or something? Are the Crundles going to be straight Normal the whole way? Or Normal -> Normal/something (Ground/Dark?). I'm not against straight Normals, especially from the first route, just curious. Same with the Plump Helmets (and how many evolutions for that line?).
I posted some doodles for an olm line a couple pages back
It's FEF, not FEOF

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 05, 2011, 04:28:01 pm »

Crundles were going to be Normal->Normal, yes.

We still need to work out most of the details for the Plumps, we don't even have a name for them yet or much of a concept, just un's sprite, but I like the idea of a plump helmet being one of the first mons the player encounters so we can work with that.

I actually think some sort of non-bird flying, like a cave bee or a bat, would be more "dwarfy".

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 05, 2011, 04:33:54 pm »

Yeah, there isn't a suitably Dark/Undead themed ability. I also considered Intimidate (lowers opponent Attack) and Battle Armor (immune to crits) for the Uncarp line.

I like the idea of Underground Route 1- as a general idea, I'd like to see 3 Cavern routes for the 3 Cavern Layers, with appropriate increases in deadliness. Cave Swallows as the Normal/Flying Pidgey stand-in would be cool, maybe Cave Swallow -> Angsty Teenage Cave Swallow -> Giant Cave Swallow? I see Crundles as Ground or Fighting types, myself.

And dammit, I had a good idea for a Bug mon, what was it...

EDIT: NEW REPLIES!

I could see Plump Helmet -> Plump Helmet Man, moveset with emphasis on status effects and absorb (so basically Oddish.) I feel like there's a pun about fat germans with the spiky helmet in here somewhere...

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 05, 2011, 04:38:19 pm »

I actually think some sort of non-bird flying, like a cave bee or a bat, would be more "dwarfy".

Maybe something based off a Draco Lizard?
It's FEF, not FEOF

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 05, 2011, 04:46:14 pm »

I was actually thinking of making Crundles ground instead, truth be told, even though that would reduce their "rattatta equivalancy".

Fighting implies some sort of discipline or martial ability, which I don't think they have. They're mostly just fast and vicious. I think normal fits them, but if we need more ground we can change to ground.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 05, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »

If we want a common fighting type we could use Troglodytes
It's FEF, not FEOF

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 05, 2011, 04:49:31 pm »

Or trolls. Or one of the animal men, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 166