Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150213 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Striking the ROM! (In a productive way)
« Reply #255 on: December 05, 2011, 04:55:11 pm »

Alright... Crundles. I'm assuming they're the Brumble/Crundill on the Wiki and I did this assuming Normal all the way through, but there's some dark and fighting moves in there too, just for flavor. I'm gonna avoid spoilering code blocks for now.
Code: [Select]
Brumble -22-> Crundill (Normal)
Scratch 1
Growl 1
Sand Attack 5
Mach Punch 8
Fury Swipes 10
Focus Energy 13
Horn Attack 16
False Swipe 19
Howl 23 24
Scary Face 27 29
Slash 31 33
Taunt 35 39
Sucker Punch 39 44
Bulk Up 43 49
Glare 47 55
Thrash 51 61

Brumble
HP 37
Attack 53
Defense 35
Special Attack 35
Special Defense 30
Speed 50
Total 240

Crundill
HP 70
Attack 85
Defense 65
Special Attack 65
Special Defense 55
Speed 80
Total 420
Headbutt could easily be swapped in for Horn Attack, but they do almost exactly the same thing, so it feels a bit weird putting both in. For an ability, I've got a few to choose from. Hyper Cutter (Attack can't be reduced), Hustle (increases Attack by 50%, reduces accuracy by 20%), Shell Armor -> Battle Armor (both prevent critical hits, difference is just for flavor based on the loss of the shell helmet during evolution), Run Away (guarantees escape, even through moves that prevent escape), and Vital Spirit (prevents sleep). Also, we can have 2 abilities per mon and it'll just randomly pick one of the two when you encounter one in the wild.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:59:49 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 05, 2011, 05:07:27 pm »

When we discussed it, the creator wanted something along the lines of "death from a thousand cuts", so moves like Fury swipe definitely fit. Generally, I see them as being sweepers, so what you've got there seems really good (as usual!)

Maybe throw some sort of bite move in as well?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 05, 2011, 05:10:01 pm »

If we really don't want to go the Cave Swallow route for a cave flier, we could roll with Cave Floater as Flying/Poison, or Hungry Heads as Flying or Flying/Dark. I think I still like Cave Swallows for early in the game, though, with those two being prevalent in later caves/tunnels.

I was thinking of Crundles as being some kind of swarming Mankey, but I like Troglodytes as cavern Fighting types better.

If Crundles are Ground, then we don't have a Normal type in the first route (or first couple routes, as the case may be.) I was intending the Kitscuit line to be pure Normal, they could work as a low-tier Mon. The downside being those are Mons I doubt I can make decent sprites for (I guess a picture of a biscuit with a :3 face?)

FAKEEDIT: Ninja!

I read Crundill and think of a pickle  :P  I'd give it Hyper Cutter and Hustle, and I wouldn't touch the moves. Although Shell Armor would be cool for the animal-people, whom I hope will be part poison.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 05, 2011, 05:11:17 pm »

Oh BITE! I meant to put that in and completely forgot. Maybe Crunch instead of Sucker Punch?

I totally thought of pickles when I saw Crundill too. :P
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 05, 2011, 05:15:10 pm »

I should post the chat log. I mentioned there that when I came up with the name I really wanted him wielding a pickle (shades of Farfetch'd) but it ended up seeming a bit TOO absurd. :P

I still think crundle makes more sense as normal than ground, so I like it the way it is.

Cave Swallow is cool with me, though I like the other two suggestions as well!

Having a poison mon on the first route would certainly be delectably cruel. Heheh. In fact, having a poison mon common on many of the routes would be wonderfully "fun", I think. ^_^ Crundles, Floaters, and Helmets as our commons?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:18:31 pm by GlyphGryph »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 05, 2011, 05:17:51 pm »

I was thinking of a honey badger themed ground type line, but I'm not sure how to make the design look like anything more than a cartoony badger. Any suggestions?
It's FEF, not FEOF

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 05, 2011, 05:18:57 pm »

I think I could work with that. Think Honey Badger combined with a pangolin.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 05, 2011, 05:25:45 pm »

HONEY BADGER! That was it, Ground/Bug themed. Starts as a Badger (Ground) -> Honey Badger (Ground/Bug) -> Giant Honey Badger (should it be 2 stage or 3 stage?) Starts off as a normal looking badger but white/green instead of white/black, then evolves into some bizarre bee/badger cross. I'm thinking bipedal, mandibles, compound eyes, antennae.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2011, 05:29:31 pm »

Flavour is that a bug egg is laid in the badger when it's young, and the bug it hatches eventually grows inside it, subsuming it, until it's eventually just a bug wearing a badger skin?

Like paras, but between two different families ^_^

I think 3 stages will work to really cement the horror of the transformation, but it will definitely need a better name. As will the Floater and Helmets.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 05, 2011, 05:30:12 pm »

I'm going to laugh if a majority of the birds come from underground routes.

Booze mons?

Eagle mon? Maybe Eagle -> Skeleagle? I feel like we should try to go light on the thing -> skeletal thing mons, though. Maybe just one or the other as a no-evolution mon?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 05, 2011, 05:31:31 pm »

Necrostone. Monsters that become undead should/will do so through exposure to it.

Also, Skeleton Eagle name is clearly The Skeegle.

Skeegle evolves from Reegle with necro stone. (Regal Eagle Raptor)

Reegle evolves from Seegle. I think you can figure out that one.

I love this line already.

Seegle => Reegle => Skeegle
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:34:09 pm by GlyphGryph »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 05, 2011, 05:33:55 pm »

Skeegle, skelk, skeletal marmots? Are there other commonly referred to skeletals?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 05, 2011, 05:35:17 pm »

Fish, but we've got those covered. However, much like Boatborn is the necrostone applied to a magaphant, we should probably have a non-skeletal fish that turns into an Uncarp.

I think 4 skeletals is probably good. Remember to throw some ghosts in there as well. On the other hand, 6 skeletons would let people play a full skeleton team, which I'm sure they'll want to do. We should probably add 2 more.

People can have fun trying to capture every mon in the game and attempting to necro-stone it.
(too bad we can't make it outright kill/delete mons it fails to evolve, huh? :P)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:37:44 pm by GlyphGryph »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 05, 2011, 05:43:49 pm »

I think there needs to be a Flying/Electric Chicken, Birdsplosion.

Seegle -> Reegle (Giant Eagle) -> Skeegle (via Necrostone)  Actually, we could reflavor that stone to be a Tome, since that's how Necromancy currently(ish) works in DF. The other main skeleton folks regularly encounter would be Skelephants, but I think we've got that base covered :P

Hoary Marmots need to be Ice or Normal/Ice- named Hoarfrost. Because the alternative is a prostitute Pokemon.

And yeah, most of what I'm saying is just general concept- my names tend to end up terrible.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 05, 2011, 05:50:31 pm »

You act as if Hoarfrost won't just become a frigid prostitute pokemon, heheheh.

I absolutely fucking love the Tome Stone though. I'm finding your brain incredibly impressive right now.

I will admit to being easily influenced by awesome puns.

Tome Stone it is!

Anyways, I think Elephant would work too, as we've got a non-magma elephant species that will be going in as well. This will give us:

Magaphant -> Boatborn
and
Mr. Tusks -> Skelefaint

I can live with that, especially since the first is probably a less than useful evolution mostly there for fun.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:52:03 pm by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 166