Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 166

Author Topic: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Back to work!  (Read 150175 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Pokemon Orthoclase & Microcline: Striking the ROM! (In a productive way)
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2011, 12:47:17 am »

What is a patcher and how does it work?

And yes, we'd like to redo the fortresses... err, towns, as well.
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/patchutil/lunar-ips.html
Basically it saves the changes vs the original game so that you could move the changes without moving the game. Or something.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2011, 12:49:33 am »

Not sure what benefit that would provide, considering. And the thread isn't about the ROM or how to get it, and most of the github stuff is sharing sprites. I think we're fine.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2011, 12:52:09 am »

Not sure what benefit that would provide, considering. And the thread isn't about the ROM or how to get it, and most of the github stuff is sharing sprites. I think we're fine.
Actually, there is benefit. Less memory needed to save files. And you won't have toads all over you for the copy of pokemon being illegitimately in the github. I doubt what else is there matters, a link to files that Toad wants us not to distribute is still that.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2011, 12:54:42 am »

I'm following this so hard.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2011, 01:20:26 am »

Btw are we gonna include the Kolbolds and animal men as trainers too alongside the 4 main races?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:22:06 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2011, 01:28:16 am »

I think kobolds and animal men are going to be mons. At least they're in the mon ideas bucket.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2011, 01:29:55 am »

Thanks for the input as always monk! One thing to keep in mind is that in Gen 3 moves are physical/special based on type still, they haven't been given it on an individual basis yet, so things like Leaf Blade are special rather than physical. I don't really have much time to fiddle with things right now, but I CAN tell you the small level differences between perlihorn and unicron learning moves was an accident and an oversight on my part. I think it happened when I added a move in the middle and things got shuffled for one but not the other. I need a better way to organize these than some random notepad file...

Oh crap, I thought that demarcation was Gen III, not IV. Is what I get for skipping those two gens, I suppose. I still like Giga Drain better than Leaf Blade thematically, but I suppose if I want to be that picky about it I should drop one of my other projects and get more involved with this one :P  As far as organization, best idea I've got is Excel/OpenCalc for spreadsheety goodness, though I'm sure there must be better alternatives out there.

And as a side note I was thinking about earlier, can we edit the music? Part of me REALLY wants there to be a remix/mashup of the various Pokemon themes and the DF theme. Part of me wants that to exist even if it can't be in game, but it'd be sweet if it could.

EDIT: NEW REPLY!

I think Kobolds/Animalpersons would be better as mons, myself.

Which reminds me, we were rolling with having a couple dorf/elf mons as the stand-in for creepy anthropomorphic Pokemon (Jynx, Mr. Mime,) yes? I had a thought about that- one of the towns is a new fortress, and it has a problem with stupid little Dorf mons they collectively term "Migrants." The nearby routes would have various, really weak mons like "Milker" and "Potash Maker" that, with plenty of grinding, have a second evolutionary stage as a more useful mon like "Clothier" or "Mason." The base "migrant" forms would all be normal with a not-exciting moveset (though they should all know Rage) and the second stage would have an elemental affiliation. Just something bopping around my head I wanted to write down before it escaped.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2011, 01:34:38 am »

Like an equivalent of the Unknowns?

And they could literally be just ASCII smilies of different colors. :P

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2011, 01:38:03 am »

YES! That is EXCELLENT! I might have to do that one, that's within my sprite-making capabilities, I think...

Anywho, I should be in bed. Hopefully the thread won't explode for five pages while I'm gone again. (Then again, hopefully it will- that means progress is being made!)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2011, 01:38:05 am »

Adding/editing music is definitely possible and not particularly difficult. I've learned very quickly that the hard part of a pokemon ROM hack isn't the hacking, it's the creative side. Making sprites/movesets/music/plot is so much more ridiculously time consuming than putting any of it in the game.

Haha I like it. Fewer than 28 of them, but they each have an evolution to make them actually useful in some way.

On that note, I'd like to avoid any useless mons. The unowns were neat, but there was no way to make them useful, even if you happened to get one with a strong Secret Power.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 04, 2011, 01:43:29 am »

I still think that the fluffy wamblers should have movesets composed of weak stuff and like tackle and scratch up until it reaches somwhere around level 30 or 60 or something and learns high jump kick and guillotine.
It's FEF, not FEOF

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2011, 01:44:51 am »

But I'd imagine the migrants being near-useless would be the point of the joke. ;)

And believe it or not some people like relatively bad pokemon. I agree that they shouldn't be as useless as the Unknown, but I don't think they need to ever become not-crap.

We need to remember the difference between a challenge pokemon and a stupid pokemon.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:18:03 am by GlyphGryph »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2011, 02:18:38 am »

some more random doodles. Feel free to make them into sprites

Spoiler: jabberer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Olm to Giant Olm (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beak Dog Line (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2011, 02:31:47 am »

Am I the only one that thinks that the Beak Dog line could be a Psuedo-Legendary line like Dragonite?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2011, 03:01:46 am »

Maybe. But then goblins would be overpowered.

Perhaps a toad -> giant toad -> toad demon line could be the psuedo legendary?
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 166