Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188073 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

15 inches is almost 40 cm, correct?

Sooo... How is that going to give you time to play DF? Just means you have to plow it, or maybe just walk straight through it, taking even more time.

No it means I won't have to go *somewhere else* to do something, and the going *somewhere else* would involve taking far more time than plowing the snow ever would.

I'll probably not plow it until it's done falling anyways, saving even more time.

And how exactly does snow remove your need to go *somewhere else*?  ???

It makes it impractical to get to said location.

Well, if all he has to worry about is going to class/school, then it's entirely possible said institution could say fuck it and call it a "snow day" depending on how wimpy that particular area is about "bad" weather.

Some of the school districts I attended as a kid were utter wimps. In Iowa, they wouldn't let kids play outside if it was even slightly soggy on a perfectly normal day (which it almost always was), and they'd call a snow day for the mildest snowfall, and then hypocritically allow busses to run through the worst. My brother's bus ran off the road and rolled over in an actually serious blizzard. One kid broke his arm, but still helped everyone off the bus, while the prehistoric driver passed out in his seat and they all had to huddle in an ambulance for warmth until another bus came an hour later TO SHUTTLE THEM TO THE SCHOOL 30 MILES AWAY, THEN BACK. At no point did they inform parents, or decide this was a horrible idea. Fucking. Idiots. Some of the kids called their parents to come pick them up.

Of course the college I'm attending now cancelled classes in mild wind and snow. I actually drove all the way out there only to find the security guard to turn me away, because I didn't get the memo with no internet/phone service. :P

Nope, not classes - I'm doing jobs here and there on the side right now, but where I'd have had to go today is 50 miles away across the band of heaviest snowfall, and considering the roads are literally impassable right now due to heavy drifting I'd have no way to get there.

Besides, the districts around here rarely cancel if there is under 10 inches of snow from a given storm anyways.

..  Of course, we've nearly twice that, but still.

I've still no idea what to do with the fort.  For now I've just set a bunch of stuff to dump and I don't even know where the dump is.

Yet another yet another edit:  Where the demon are the cistern pump controls?  I wish to start filling it again but they either appear to be off or stuff for them got destroyed somehow.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:09:33 pm by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are two locations for cistern controls, they were labeled at the time of my occupancy.  Look at the same Z level as the bottom of the cistern for two rooms.  One next to the cistern, the other next to the cistern drain, a bit SE of the cistern.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are two locations for cistern controls, they were labeled at the time of my occupancy.  Look at the same Z level as the bottom of the cistern for two rooms.  One next to the cistern, the other next to the cistern drain, a bit SE of the cistern.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

I so want to pull the lever labeled "DO NOT PULL"

But I forsee a watery death for the fort if I do, so I won't.

Summer just started.  It is the 1st of hematite.

In late spring, we had visitors.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At first, the goblins just walked around killing stray cats.

Then I realized that the trapdoors to the fort were locked.  Looking for some FUN and caged prisoners, I unlocked them.

The weapon traps were hilariously effective.  I'd have taken a screenshot, but everything was covered in blood and gore before this anyways so it would have been impossible to tell the difference.

A wild artifact has appeared!

Worth 71.5k dwarfbucks.

Other than this, I designated a bit of mining as well as for the cage trap stuck on outside the outer floodgates keeping them from closing to be removed..  which, of course, not one dwarf has done yet.  and that's it.

EDIT:

Upon further inspection, the pump system took serious damage at some point.

I've decided it will be signifigantly easier, if a bit slower to just build a new pump system.  If someone can get the old one running, the cistern will be able to fill twice as fast.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 08:06:54 pm by Vehudur »
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Considering that everyone might be in a burrow might be a good idea.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

Oh, I did check that.  They're just not getting around to it.

Faux edit:  Oh Armok, the dwarves constructing the axles are getting dehydrated because they're having to move so much crap for it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

don't worry; they'll probably give up and go get a drink if it gets too bad.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

Yay for a short power failure eliminating about 2 months of progress.  Glad I had autosave on seasonally.

It's the curse.

Edit:

Upgrade complete.

Edit 2:  Just in time for another mood.

Edit 3:  Uh oh, Erica's happiness is 6.  I better burrow her in her room and lock the door until we can fix it.  Berserk legendary miner = dead fort.  Quickly, and in a hilariously bloody way.  Any ideas of what to do?

(Which room is hers anyways?)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:32:30 pm by Vehudur »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Southwest corner a few Z levels down from embark Z level iirc

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

Southwest corner a few Z levels down from embark Z level iirc

Oh I see.

Found it.

Yay.  Disaster averted.

At first, she wouldn't burrow at first so I disabled her professions with DT, let her put her pick away and the burrow seems to have been effective after that.

Artifact worth 151.2k dwarfbucks.

It is now the 23rd of Sandstone and all is well.   Except Erica, she's still Very Unhappy.

Oooh goodie, even more.

"digging designation canceled, damp stone located."   x 50 billion

I'm digging around the edges of a patch of aquifer I found.  When you see the map, you'll understand why.

Then, a brief flash of purple before the next canceled dig pops up.

Apparently, by keeping the fort busy the prisoners have been neglected.

I should see to this before the other one dies.

On the 20th of Timber Oliolli almost drowned but I saved him in the nick of time.

Oh crap the fort is flooding and I have no idea where it's coming from.

And then, Vehudur (hey..) died from colliding with an obstacle after the water pushed him down a shaft.

I figured out where, but I have to drain the cistern to fix it.

Oh dear.

Did I mention the cistern was full by late autumn?  Now it is early winter.

You know where this goes.

After I fix the leak I'm calling it a night.  Expect me to finish tomorrow, as I've only got two months left.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:19:14 am by Vehudur »

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should have sinisterly cut off the post when you mentioned your death. :P

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile

*Eric Blank taps Mapleguy555 for sugary sap.

We must have pancakes!
* Mapleguy555 screams in pain as his lifeblood is sucked out of him.
* The Curse laughs as Mapleguy screams in pain and is drained of life.

THE CURSSSSSSSSSSSEEEE

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

You should have sinisterly cut off the post when you mentioned your death. :P

Oh believe me, I was tempted.

But I decided I had too much other important stuff to say right then.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How did anyone die of thirst when in jail?  The jail cells had food and water and beds in them?

The Curse

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Stalking Swordthunders since November 27th 2011.
    • View Profile

*Eric Blank taps Mapleguy555 for sugary sap.

We must have pancakes!
* Mapleguy555 screams in pain as his lifeblood is sucked out of him.
* The Curse laughs as Mapleguy screams in pain and is drained of life.

IMPOSTER!

THE CURSSSSSSSSSSSEEEE

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED! WHY DO YOU DISTURB ME, MORTAL?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 07:42:29 am by The Curse »
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 167