Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188117 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Alright, I've cracked open the save, checked all the undead to make sure none of them were dangeorus forms of ghosts (none were, just forlorn and restless haunts), scoffed at the horrible distribution of labors (and set to work correcting it), raged about my dwarf being a woodworker rather than miner and switched him out for some unclaimed legendary miner that had an artifact, and acknowledged that my FPS is stable at 54~

I think it's going to be a good year.

Spoiler: The horror! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:51:13 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Swordthunders Curse kill count: 12.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

19th Hematite.

The few months have been miserably boring. The dwarves have been allowed to go about their business, because I can't really see any work to be done. If I had a goddamn clue what was going on in this labyrinth, maybe I'd have an idea of what actually needs done.

Right now, most of the work seems to be hauling or making more furniture taht we aren't actually going to use... Maybe I should shut down furniture production? Only furniture this place really needs more of at this point is wooden bins.

The plant stocks have increased dramatically since I reassigned nearly all the farmers to attend the fields. Booze stocks dipped quite a bit, but I set the bastard straight and expect to see more booze produced. Eventually.

During spring, three new migrants showed up. One of them, a mason/engraver, assigned to stoneworking duty - no hauling or cleaning, all stoneworking and mining - the farmer recieved some farming labors, and the metalsmith some metalsmithing labors and was also assigned to a squad on acount of military experience. So that's two new haulers and another engraver to help smooth the entire place out. I am ordering them to smooth everything, as a matter of fact.

Besides the work and the migrants, the elven caravan showed up and was brutally slaughtered by goblin ambushers. Two ambushes total - an axe squad and a spear squad.

23rd Malachite.

The invaders have been effectively defeated. The spearman squad broke up after the leader was horribly maimed by a trap, and the axeman squad has been reduced to a single available member, standing right under the hatches. Fucker won't come out or go up the stairs into the cage traps because his leader, an axe lord, is stuck in a cage there, and the dwarves can't fight him, even 7-1.

I braved the goblins after another migrant wave, with two dwarves and a peacock, showed up. Everyone made it inside. No casualties thus far. The goblins kept coming after the hatches were locked again, thus putting us in the current situation.

27th Malachite

Nevermind about the no casualties thing. Two of the troops, Mego IV and some recruit, ran outside to grab gear and disturbed the beast's slumber, getting them both killed. Another recruit, Alath, lost a foot but is otherwise fine. The goblin was caught in a cage.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:17:11 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Huzzah, progress!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

There will be more to come in the morning. More deaths, and more migrants. And more caravans biting it, but nobody really cares anymore.
I make Spellcrafts!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

more caravans biting it

clutterclutterclutter

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

24th Sandstone, Mid Autumn.

As it turns out, another dwarf got trapped outside after the last goblin incursion. A hunter on the ranger squad. The last member of the ranger squad after Mego and that other dorf's deaths. The nearly starved to death before anybody noticed him out there, and then was cut down by a goblin crossbow squad and their pikeman leader. As it turns out, marksmen are fucking retarded and all want to go pick up equipment from outside while the melee troops have only suffered one casualty, caused by a ghost scaring the soldier to death in hsi off-time. The ghost was put down before it could kill somebody especially useful.

On the plus side, more migrants have shown up, and the population is up to 39. The stray animals managed to distract the goblins long enough for this newest group to make it inside fine. Those same goblins had murdered the human caravan back in summer. I don't expect to be able to get the dwarven caravan inside alive, or back out with all their crap.

In less serious news, I found "Oliolli was here" written on the floor in schist, disguising it nicely against it's background. Did you know the texture of schist is described as "schistocity?" Kinda like how slate has "slaty cleavage." Geology students always like that.

In even less serious news, absolutely nothing important has happened industry-wise, besides a couple boring artifacts being made. We now ahve a legendary weaver, who is out of work and looking for haul jobs. Carpenters are still pumping out bins, masons are still smoothing schist, and everyone else is still hauling. There's also the generator running, powering absolutely nothing useful. The cistern is still only on the second z-level.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:03:44 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Important update: The fortress is flooding, and I have no idea why.

It seems to be coming in from the control room/suicide lever room area, because that area is filled to 6/7-7/7. I can't actually see where it's coming from, though. The floors above and below it show no signs of water ever being present (mud). It flows down the hallway adjacent to the western wall of the dining room, and flows down a stairwell at that point. I don't know all that's down there, or whether it'll eventually flood completely. For now, it's serving as a nice dwarf trap waterfall. There has been minor flooding into the dining room from the western doorway, and down the hall along the southern wall of the dining room.

I swear I didn't pulled any levers this time! :o
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:31:16 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's... Odd.  Oh, check to see if the Suicide Lever's on.  I know someone set the cistern to start filling, but I don't think anyone checked if the suicide sluice was left open.  Incidentally; one of the cistern pumps has a tree growing in one of the pumpstacks (I noticed it when I poked around the save a while back).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

The suicide lever is in the off position and the floodgates closed. Someone's dog was trapped up there, though, and I had a tunnel dug to it and the lever pulled a couple times to make sure it was off.

Actually, I just noticed one of the doors into the cistern on the lowermost level is muddied, and the cistern lost a lot of water. I think some dumbass may have tried to walk through the door or used the door to path around another creature, thus causing a sudden rush of pressurized water.
If the problem does not persist, then that is likely what happened.

I also noticed the nethercap in the eastern pump stack and intend to remove it. Eventually.
I make Spellcrafts!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mystery solved, then.  Such a shame really as it takes years for that cistern to fill as-is. 

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So in Eric Blank's time, McRunaka is alive and drinking? :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Yes. And coincidentally the dwarf I picked to replace the incompetent sod of a woodworker is a woman. And your lover...

Good news!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Better news! My reign of terror is over! Although it was overall a pretty decent year, all things considered.

Here is the save

Nothing much happened since becoming a barony. Although the liaison still hasn't left. And the caravan went insane because there was a goblin lasher squad sitting outside. I eventually just let the caravan gaurds out, who managed to scare off a surprise sword squad, but died in the process. The lasher squad met it's end in mid-winter when all members were either captured in cages or killed in traps. At that point, I let the dwarves out to have a party, and they did. No ambushes or sieges during the winter, but remember to get everyone inside immediately upon loading up the save, because I guarantee the elves will bring 'em in like bloody fish in a shark tank.

The militia still consists of recruits and wrestlers, despite all having their gear and being ordered to train. I had some upright spike traps set up in the barracks in the entry hall (a little 4x4 room on the south wall) and a lever is being linked to the three that are complete. That should speed the process a bit, with 7 spears per trap.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 01:04:09 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any guesses to how many will still fall victim to the Curse before my turn? I'm guessing three.

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 167