Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 167

Author Topic: The Community Reclaims Swordthunders - We need more lunatics to run this asylum!  (Read 188190 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

That's amazing. I've never ever seen anything like it; you actually got a bee hive working? That shit's like the epitome of tedious micromanagement!

Anyway, engraving all these slabs will suck the utmost of dick because it doesn't distinguish unburied and buried dwarfs, so I need to go through the entire thing with a checklist of dwarfs I need to engrave. And the engraving menu is like 500 dwarfs long.

Ughhhhh...

I raised those bees in Hell, no less.  And you really don't want to see the mausoleum that ALREADY exists in the fortress.  Pretty sure I already traumatized at least one bay12'er when they saw a passing screencap of it

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Mitch; Tribe Leader of the Migrants

Chapter One: High-master Stonecrafter

My name is Mitch Bootskin. My name and I are synonymous; I am as tough as ☼Grizzly Bear Leather High Boots☼, and as sharp as (+Silver Flails+). We have been sent to our deaths; or more officially, to retake the legendary cursed fortress of Swordthunders. Why do I say cursed? History tells us of those who had power in Swordthunders. Power corrupts. The walls of Swordthunders corrupt harder. All were taken by insanity, as the legends tell.

I and Mapleguy were sent from the Mountainhome to take back the riches that lie within, and secure the fortress for more migrants. We were to take year long turns before handing on the power to a successor; power changed hands quickly in order to avoid the curse of power in Swordthunders. Mapleguy couldn't handle it; we are all stuck in a hovel in the ground, fearing for our lives. He passed leadership to me, and without assigned leadership expected to arrive until the end of what was supposed to be my year. Many groups have been sent; all before us failed. And now I am expected to survive not one, but one and a half years.

And if we actually survive there will be someone to take my place who will then immediately get us killed who will carry on my legacy.

1st Limestone:

I've devised a plan; a simple four step plan which I probably will not see carried out in my lifetime. Secure a home in 'Migrantopia', breach and establish a foothold in the main fortress of Swordthunders, push the walls and take more of its soil, and finally, retake hell.

First thing is first; remove the ghosts of those long passed, one of which have battered and killed a dwarf. Kogut shall be the first to be exorcised from this plane. There are fourty more ghosts to attend to, however. This may take a long time.

I've ordered a 20x10 area to be dug to accommodate two full scale farms; we need to be sustainable and the last thing I want is for a famine to impede our progress of Step 2.

4th Limestone:

Four masonry stations and four crafting stations have been set up and everyone has been given the labour of masonry. 60 slabs are to be made. One crafting station shall create rock pots to store alcohol, two shall create crafts (in order to trade for alcohol) and the fourth shall be engraving slabs, starting with Kogut the violent ghost, then various other non-benign ghosts, such as Mego II.

I myself, being a high-master stonecrafter (it rhymes), was looking through the engraving list. It is reaaaally fucking long, and only one in ten dwarfs on it are haunting us. There are some influential  names on this list; Necro Nine Hundred and Ten, so named for how many magma related projects he has created, Ladyinhat who grew attached to a leather cap (and then beat her enemies to death with), Ollioli, whose name I am surprised to have spelt correctly whose name was cursed to be forever misspelt and even the legendary , whose pimpin' name caused the beards of many humans and goblins to escape their masters to attach themselves to him.

14th Limestone:

Sleep well, dearly departed.

OOC:
- Future updates will be more gameplay oriented but I didn't feel like playing, just typing. Because I'm half asleep.
- God I wish there was a way to just remove all ghosts from existence, it is really annoying to go through this massive list looking for generic dwarven names. I'd even do something pointless to balance this time-saver, like make and place 1000 memorial slabs or something.
- Running on a comfy 40 FPS, about the same as Deathgate. I love my brand new computer; able to play Skyrim on ultra high, not able to run DF full speed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:12:36 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The walls of Swordthunders corrupt harder. All were taken by insanity, as the legends tell.

Insanity you say?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, one would need to be truly insane to keep one's beard that short.

What?  That wasn't the first thing that jumped out at you?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Is it weird, that at no matter what angle I view the Dwarf tile... I always see it the right way around o-o

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

You should also be aware that someone (*cough*Oliolli*cough*) flooded the Pit House by removing one of the upper-level walls at the top of Hell to see how deep the magma was.  Completely full, as it turned out.

Water and miners ought to empty it out.

Pretty sure I already traumatized at least one bay12'er when they saw a passing screencap of it

All those coffins... All of them... Full of dwarves... O_O

Ollioli
:'(

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fixed the Ololli line to something more realistic.

Chapter Two: Shattered Balls

It seems like the ghosts emit miasma where they hang around. We need to take them out.

17th Limestone:
Organium has risen and is haunting the fortress. The sheer amount of work this will take is ball-shatteringly staggering, unless I can find an alternative. And I have...

There are plenty of available coffins, just waiting to be filled. 810 coffins, to be exact. Most were empty, some assigned as tombs for no on in particular (and therefore not filled, a slap on the head to whoever set that). It took me around 20 minutes, but I combed through most of the coffins and set them available for use. When I open up Swordthunders to Migrantopia, the second thing I will do is order everyone to drag bodies into coffins. There are also dozens of trees in there, alleviating the need to go outside to acquire wood.

21st Limestone:

It has begun; earlier than I would have thought. But we need to. I've ordered a tunnel dug to pierce Swordthunders, and a drawbridge to protect us in case of ambush from creatures unknown.

Just in time too; migrants have arrived. Two, to be exact. A metal crafter and an animal trainer. They have served their purpose to piss me off. Lets see how they like being miners as our current one is feeling lonely.

Wait a minute... Swordthunders is open to the outside.

A wall of the nearest available stone, lignite, to be made. That shit will light up at the slightest spark but I don't care.

The beds of the deceased are now available for use. I've already accidentally opened up Swordthunders already, might as well use it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:48:55 am by Mitchewawa »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait a minute... Swordthunders is open to the outside.

A wall of the nearest available stone, lignite, to be made. That shit will light up at the slightest spark but I don't care.

The beds of the deceased are now available for use. I've already accidentally opened up Swordthunders already, might as well use it.

That looks like the reservoir breach.  Why did you dig into that anyway, Loud Whispers?

edit:  Wait.  The coffins were EMPTY? ...uh...do entombed bodies scatter like the rest of the fortress contents upon abandonment/reclaim?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:52:21 am by ThatAussieGuy »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile

I ventured into Swordthunders as a human demigod. I was kind of afraid to even go there, all those forgotten beasts and HFS... so I wanted to gather as much stuff as I could.
I started at south-eastern corner of this pocket world. I killed an outlaw and a monster of night, grabbed two meatshields and started heading west.
When I was going around the southern part of the mountains, I noticed one of the camps I was told to clear, and thought "well what the hell lets do it".
Few goblins later, I went to nearby town, it was looking wierd tho: few of those white bars together, and three gold bars scattered around within them(I am using Mayday's graphic set for this, trees and plants are terrible). I arrived just in time, went into a hou- what on Armok are those elf merchants doing there?
Yes, you heard me right - there were elf merchants in this village. All of it - every house was full of those hippies, and they yaks. They even had one or two human merchants in each house for some reason.
Anyways, I slept through the night, woke up at dawn, while they were still sleeping. I looked over their yaks... they were fully equipped as they were ready to trade with mountainhomes. The items didn't have any "shop" marks, so I carefully took an iron helm... then a copper breastplate...

About 8 houses later, I have full set of armor, including 3 mail shirts, breastplate, greaves, iron and copper caps, iron helm and 5 hoods. And iron high boots.

What exactly was this place? Elven trade goods HQ? Stockpile for all goods, both bought and crafted? Santa's secret hideout? (place was covered in snow)
We will never know.

------------

I went to Swordthunders, having some random encounters, but there's no time for me to describe them. After going deeper and deeper, I have found...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

him.

About 7 floors up, I also found one of the forgotten beasts with its guts spilled on the walls. Two levels higher, I've seen another FB, Ab, dead as well.
Comparing it to 5 minutes of time spent killing the third beast upstairs with my meatshields, I am pretty impressed.
Also, his weapon is a copper carving knife.

And thats it for today's X Archives.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found baroness, Floor Waxer and the whole Hellville down there. Continuing on.

EDIT: I slept in one of bedrooms in Hellville for 8 hours - I needed a rest, my character did. Game froze for 5 minutes, after that, I woke up. I leave my bedroom, "let's see how Aussie is doi- where are all those clusterfucking items gone? They were all over the place?!" I got scared, seriously. I checked my companions menu, as my meatfriends weren't near me, and the thing told me that they are east from me. So I ran up the staircase to the corridor going out of a square room, that had its own staircase up. I keep heading towards my companions, noticing the ground is sweeped clean, and then...

You are struck by a ball of flames!

Out of nowhere, there is smoke trail. Going up and getting ready for combat, I meet a demon. up one tile... scratch one more demon. Two demons using fireballs to rape me easily.
I died with my right leg gone, but with an axe in my hands.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:58:56 pm by FritzPL »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

That looks like the reservoir breach.  Why did you dig into that anyway, Loud Whispers?

LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALA

what on Armok are those elf merchants doing there?

Mud wrestling.

What exactly was this place? Elven trade goods HQ? Stockpile for all goods, both bought and crafted? Santa's secret hideout? (place was covered in snow)
We will never know.

Elf looters.

Well we now know there's demons in the fort for sure.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

edit:  Wait.  The coffins were EMPTY? ...uh...do entombed bodies scatter like the rest of the fortress contents upon abandonment/reclaim?

About half of them were full, coffin contents do not scatter as far as I know. The ones assigned for tombs to no one (fist shake) and the empty ones were spread out randomly across the whole thing so it looks like someone just rushed the burial set up and missed a couple of coffins.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

About half of them were full, coffin contents do not scatter as far as I know. The ones assigned for tombs to no one (fist shake) and the empty ones were spread out randomly across the whole thing so it looks like someone just rushed the burial set up and missed a couple of coffins.

Yeah... well... They were all full when I ran the fortress.  All of them.  Oh and the claimed ones were taken by Ghosts, that wasn't my doing.

Well we now know there's demons in the fort for sure.

I'm not surprised, really.  Flooring over the staircase to Hell will probably stop that.  Unless they fly up the axle shaft.  I'm not going to spoil where those are though.  Takes away the fun.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:41:48 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'm not surprised, really.  Flooring over the staircase to Hell will probably stop that.  Unless they fly up the axle shaft.  I'm not going to spoil where those are though.  Takes away the fun.

New objective.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can see the axle shaft.

Chapter Three: Guild of Aussies

There is much work to be done; many pieces left for us to pick up. Even the wagons outside are loaded with spoils. Even if we had a veritable army of haulers, it would take most of my year to bring back the days of yesteryear.

10th Sandstone (not to be confused with Limestone):
Mapleguy sure was a strange leader. Most haulers are occupied with the task to haul rocks. All stone stockpiles have been removed.

All stockpiles have been deleted; we need haulers for my current project. All corpses and body parts are unforbidden, all coffins are open. Lets see how many ghosts we can cull, if not for us then for the next group of migrants.

Our tunnel finally pierced the blocked off section of Swordthunders, destroying a few masterwork engravings at the same time. We entered through the living space; lets hope nothing lies in wait.

21st Sandstone:

I have hit a snag; the main coffin rooms are all blocked off by gross vegetation. Trees block our progress; I've ordered them cut and in the meanwhile a tunnel is being dug from the old living area into the coffin room. By the time I'm done with this place it going to look like an ants nest. Turns out that it is the bodies we fail to path to. All dwarfs are given the tree-cutting labour (except miners) and we should be able to clear out all forested areas of the base with the dozens of picks and axes I unforbid. Four ghosts have been put down form what we can gather. More to come.

I have found an engraving (crudely drawn and full of misspellings) left behind by someone who just describes himself as part of the Guild of Aussies. I too, am part of that guild, back in the Mountainhomes. The engraving is a warning of the dangers that lurk in the 'Axle shaft'. I assume he means the one in the quarry full of shit.

He warns me of demons. My beardsense tells me only two remain, one of which is hidden and the other is hanging out cosily in the old living spaces in hell.

12th Timber:

Ahem. Well, a close is drawing to my first season. I have always hated the month of Timber; always sounded too elf. I have put down a dozen of ghosts, and the remainder appear to be inaccessible (at least that's what the announcer-dwarf tells me every fucking second). Every dwarf carries an axe or pick, both for protection and clearing out the jungle that is what used to be Swordthunders.

OOC:
- I haven't actually put up any walls yet, so I think a FB might pounce on me soon. Either that or the trees are blocking them (and I'm cutting them all down).
- Too much Turisas burnt my ears off during playing.
- Fuck I hate Seath the Scaleless.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'm still waiting for the eventual explosive dysentery syndrome.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 167