Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: You wont believe this...  (Read 3252 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: You wont believe this...
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 03:58:07 am »

And yet people still feel the need to create polls asking if there are any females on the forums, and make threads indicating that a female is playing the game.
*Hugs*

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 05:18:55 am »

I think he was more amazed that he managed to convince his wife to play... Not knowing her I cannot say for sure, but I think he meant it's unbelievable that she's playing, not women in general.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 05:44:29 am »

I think he was more amazed that he managed to convince his wife to play... Not knowing her I cannot say for sure, but I think he meant it's unbelievable that she's playing, not women in general.

Yep, I think so too. If your wife doesn't ever play games, and plays DF as her first game and lives with it, then I'll stop believing in believing that miracles don't exist.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 07:51:38 am »

You should of seen my ex play. The first thing she learned to do was starve her enclave of dwarves. Next, she was telling them to collapse a small hill on themselves. Now that I think about it, that is oddly similar to how she got rid of me, too....

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 06:13:31 pm »

So yes, you now know of three females who play the game.

Ratio of male-to-female on the board, as the board itself says:

1.8:1

Notability of women playing DF:

(0.000314159265358979323846%^i)*0

Up to 50% of new registrations are spambots, and it's been that way for a while (at least a year).  Unlike real users, they almost always fill in the gender field, and many of them claim to be female.  I suspect the reported gender ratio is FUBAR as a result, and the real ratio is 5:1 or greater.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 07:00:48 pm »

The true test of dwarfhood is to create an overly-complicated and elaborate trap to kill a random dwarf for no purpose at all.

If one passes such a test, and burst into laughter while at it, then they are true dwarfs and should be welcomed.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 07:13:35 pm »

This is pretty sweet, but not as cool as that time that the modding board and a guy cooked up a version of DF that he then got his 6 year old to learn how to play. Sure lots of the stuff was made a little more kid friendly (alcohols for juice as an example) but it was still almost 95% as complex as normal DF and his kid learned how to play it. Now that was awesome.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 07:16:07 pm »

This is pretty sweet, but not as cool as that time that the modding board and a guy cooked up a version of DF that he then got his 6 year old to learn how to play. Sure lots of the stuff was made a little more kid friendly (alcohols for juice as an example) but it was still almost 95% as complex as normal DF and his kid learned how to play it. Now that was awesome.
Link?  :o
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 09:22:06 pm »

Up to 50% of new registrations are spambots, and it's been that way for a while (at least a year).  Unlike real users, they almost always fill in the gender field, and many of them claim to be female.  I suspect the reported gender ratio is FUBAR as a result, and the real ratio is 5:1 or greater.

True, but also note that my point still stands. It's not that unusual. Some of the biggest contributors to the community are female.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 10:03:24 pm »

bah, I'm teaching my two younger brothers to play, 7 and 9.
and one of the girls I want to ask out (damn, currently being with someone else...) has play'd and I have offered to teach how.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 01:00:08 am »

Link?  :o
You can find it here. I was a little wrong on the age though, it was a four year-old at first, and then through the course of the thread he aged three years up to seven. It was in the older 40d version though, so I don't know if any of the modded stuff still exists or not.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 01:57:25 am »

So what you're saying is, we should mod DF to be more female friendly? With tea instead of booze, pascal colored rocks, and changing the point of the game to keep your dwarves as clean as possible? Oh no, the goblins are here for tea again!

You, my kind sir, are sexist.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 01:28:54 pm »

He said nothing of the sort. Read before flaming.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 01:41:25 pm »

He is joking. Understand what he said before complaining.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 06:32:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3