Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Batman Arkham City  (Read 3865 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Batman Arkham City
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 08:37:36 am »

Some of the remote batarang riddler puzzles will make you cry.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 09:45:53 am »

The only part I have a hard time with is sorting out which puzzles I can do now and which ones require upgrades. Well, that and remembering where the things are. You'll see one on in the distance and start going for it, then find 2 others from the next roof top.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 10:30:35 am »

You can get them marked on the map eventually.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 01:10:59 pm »

So I didn't really think Skyrim had much competition for GOTY. I may have to change that opinion.

This game is everything that was good about Arkham Asylum set in an open world with near flawless controls. I just unlocked the VR Training Missions, and the flight ones are so hard that I feel like I'm playing a flight simulator. But what's beautiful about is it handles so well, you can literally recover from a screw up and restart the mission in split seconds. No reset menu, no forced to wait for a timer to count down. It's like, imagine GTA races, where the slightest mistake will ruin it, yet when you screw up you can drive a million miles a second flawlessly back to the start of the race and go again, almost seamlessly. That's what it feels like slinging around with the grapple, transitioning into gliding only to re-grapple split seconds later.

Lots of games claim to be easy to learn, hard to master. But I think the Arkham series is one of the few that actually lives up to the claim. Combat was good in AA but now its insanely good and even more responsive...and the grappling gliding is the same story.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 01:29:19 pm »

Yeah, except for GFWL, it's pretty good so far. I do get the occasional crash to desktop when loading new areas though.

I'm playing on hard, and the game is not afraid to throw a lot of baddies your way. I think I was fighting 14-15 thugs at the same time at one point, epic. Love the freeflow mechanic, I thinks it's even more fluid than the original. On that subject, any one else have a difficult time using ground takedowns in melee? Maybe it's the difficulty level, but as soon as you attempt one you get rushed and hit by the nearest baddie with no possibility to counter. Just hitting them in the face is far more effective.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 02:03:50 pm »

Ground takedowns will get you kicked in the ass (literally) if there are anyone else nearby. Just keep serving knuckle sandwiches.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 02:13:01 pm »

On that subject, any one else have a difficult time using ground takedowns in melee?

I have problems just lining it up. I remember it was your bread and butter in AA, but here it just seems like one more neat, but ultimately less effective way to break a dude's face.

I love the pummel though. That has to be my favorite attack by far. The Quick Grapple is also like 3x better than it ever way in AA.

My only real in-game complaint is that I can't kick guys off these 75 foot tall buildings. But that's not Batman's style. He'd rather leave them in a wheel chair eating their dinner through a straw for the rest of their lives.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 02:43:52 pm »

I managed to grapple a dude off a ledge once, but only once. Tried really hard to replicate it. Also haven't been able to do a "grapple boost takedown".

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 11:32:27 pm »

So it didn't take nearly as long this time to find the devs hidden hints at the next game. Big paragraph of me rambling and lots of spoilers below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 03:15:06 pm »

I just want to play, how long does it takes to install this damned game on a pc??

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 03:26:40 pm »

Mine downloaded within 4 hours and installed within 1 (making breakfast). I've enjoyed every single bit of it so far.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 03:31:39 pm »

I just want to play, how long does it takes to install this damned game on a pc??

Way too goddamn long. It's 6 gigs bigger than BF3  :o

And that's before you authenticate DRM and update GFWL :P

Quote from: Tilla
stuff

AC really seems like a dry run for a full-scale city map. Not to say AC isn't a good game....but I feel like they pulled their punches on the size of the city. The next game has to be the full Gotham city. People would have a conniption fit if it wasn't.

I just hope the next game they city is more alive. It'd be sweet to fly around stopping mugger and stuff.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 04:42:28 pm »

finished installing it just now...

I've a bad feeling about this. the combat at hard difficulty is not visceral as it was, it's just... longer. In asylum mooks had just three or four comebacks from k.o., in this game on hard mode they just keep getting on and beating you. that's not just hard, it's a cheap shot.

if it was for the catwoman parts.. well it coulda have been ok. I'm fine with that. but batman just seems totally ineffective.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 06:37:23 pm »

What? Dude I feel like the goddamn batman on hard, and I'm not even taking any of the armor upgrade just to keep it challenging. I'm getting pumelled once in a while, but every time it happens i'm blaming myself, there is no "cheap shot". I'd like to see a real pro play it, must be impressive to see what they can do.

If you want them to stay down, there is a finisher move you can purchase that throw batarang at all disabled goons, knocking them out for good. But that's cheating heh.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 06:41:10 pm »

it's just... longer.

And I like it! AA fights were always too short unless you were losing. In AC, fights are BIG, you get to use all your moves at least once if you have a mind to and you actually can't take that many hits before you're toast. It does feel easier....but easier in a good way, easier to hit your timing marks and more forgiveness for over-clicking.

I haven't played it on hard, but I'm looking forward to it.

I think what I like best is the guys with guns are actually beatable in normal combat. Once you disarm half of them and get some smoke down and they start blind firing, it really feels like there's a balance between Batman's martial abilities....and assault rifles! In AA it was like "Guns? Stealth takedown or GTFO."
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:03:15 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 [2] 3