Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: broker shouldn't be a noble  (Read 3642 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
broker shouldn't be a noble
« on: November 21, 2011, 01:35:09 pm »

Why must I be involved in trade, if they can feed themselves; they aught to be able to trade themselves.

Broker needs a revamp.  His ability should relate to bulk goods, directly traded out of stockpiles.  This hauling back and forth to the Depot is, horrendous.  Why can't that elf packyak go down there and load up that Finished Goods Bin himself?  Trade is the keystone to dealings with other civilizations. 

I can certainly justify whacking them all off after all this frustration.  It certainly is called for, if not veritable.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: broker shouldn't be a noble
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 01:44:58 pm »

"Why must I be involved in trade,"
untrue

"if they can feed themselves; they aught to be able to trade themselves."
can you explain this mysterious declaration?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 01:55:59 pm »

automated trading....

"hm, where did all my steel armor go to?"

"well, the elf said it looked real nice so we traded it for this wonderful harp."
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Flattermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 02:37:57 pm »

Designating things for trade is definitely a hassle but the alternative is to give that job to a dwarf and like many of us noticed on multiple occasions leaving a dwarf with a critical task to his own devices may result in unforeseen consequences.

I would vote for things designated as trade items to be automatically piled on top of the Trade post and staying there until sold.  My workaround is at the moment to just create a custom pile next to it but I could do without hauling everything there and back for every caravan.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 02:39:37 pm »

Sure, they can feed themselves, after you supply them with the proper equipment, give them orders to somehow obtain the food, order to make a place to put the food, and order them to make a place to cook/process the food. And then they'll complain that you didn't order them to build any tables to eat the food on.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 02:44:27 pm »

"what? i have to tell you to start farming, and what to farm, and where? You're the farmer, I dont have a clue! And you. Didnt you think it would be smart to make a fishery to clean the damn things before you started bringing in all that fish? What? I got to tell you to make that? And where? How old are you people?"
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 02:46:54 pm »

This should be moved to the suggestions forum instead of the Gameplay Questions Forum.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 03:05:03 pm »

i'm fine with how it is now. I surely wouldnt trust the goons with anything related to this

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 03:30:23 pm »

1. Define a burrow that is centered around the depot and whatever sourcing stockpiles you care to include.
2. Either use an alert or civilian restrictions to get a lot of haulers on-site quickly when a caravan arrives.
3. ? ? ? ? Broker does the brokering .... things.
4. PROFIT!
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 03:58:20 pm »

I don't see any issue here, the broker is a perfectly functioning feature that accomplishes the job.
Don't fix what 'aint broke.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 04:09:56 pm »

I don't see any issue here, the broker is a perfectly functioning feature that accomplishes the job.
Don't fix what 'aint broke.

at least as long as there are more problematic broken things

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 04:17:04 pm »

"what?"

They perform surgery by themselves, but can't barter by themselves.  That looks broke to me.  Of course we can drive with a flat.

The possibilities are vast, however.  Like a commodities market, where we short marble.  If ya don't pick the price, ya lose your marbles, the next year.  Wanna know what would be noble?  A broker that operated dwarf gambling.  What the guy is doing now is far from noble.  Heck he doesn't even do it, a lot of the times.  Missed my last caravan because he was sleeping, and then hauling his owned items to his bedroom.  I had to use some peasant to trade.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 04:35:25 pm »

Cranky
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I could see how a set of configurable trade/don't trade rules would make it possible to by-and-large automate trade. However, I honestly find myself more annoyed at having to deal with the liaison's trade agreements year after year than I ever am at moving goods to the depot or exchanging with the merchants.

If you don't want to bother with the trade, you could just ignore the merchants. Or steal their stuff. There are plenty of alternatives to trading.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »

The result of letting your dwarves do their own trading:

"Hey Mom! I just traded our cow for these beans! The guy said they are magic!"
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 08:05:05 pm »

if you don't want a broker, don't appoint one.
I find the added hassle of having to clear two people's schedules worth knowing better close I am to receiving Uninvited Guests.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.
Pages: [1] 2 3