Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The perfect war dog.  (Read 5105 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: The perfect war dog.
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 09:22:36 pm »

My polar bears will benefit from this! :D

SHUT UP DON'T COPY ME BLAHHG AIOEEEEEEE
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 09:24:08 pm »

SHUT UP AND COPY ME BLAHHG AIOEEEEEEE

Will do.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 09:43:51 pm »

Will do.

Wasn't aware I required permission but, will do squire!
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 10:01:14 pm »

Will do.

Wasn't aware I required permission but, will do squire!

That's okay :)

Go ahead and use artificial selection to breed polar super-bears

FOR THE MOUNTAINHOMES!
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 10:03:16 pm »

Me :Hey!

Me: HEY!

Me: HEY SANTA!

Santa: WHAT?!!!

Me: POLAR BEAR £:<

Santa: AOUHGAIHGKAnGKNSKASNGAGUAGMUUUUUUAUUUUU

Don't work with elves kids, or you will be mauled to death by a polar bear.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 10:58:27 pm »

Bonus points if you work magma into the experiment, in a creative way. No "Ho, Squad of Skinny Folks, kindly go stand on the drawbridge over the volcano."
It would be very hard to time right, but...
You could use magma as a selection device by burdening your dwarfs a very specific amount using armor, then seeing who can or cannot outrun a stream of magma from an open floodgare.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 11:10:39 pm »

Bonus points if you work magma into the experiment, in a creative way. No "Ho, Squad of Skinny Folks, kindly go stand on the drawbridge over the volcano."
It would be very hard to time right, but...
You could use magma as a selection device by burdening your dwarfs a very specific amount using armor, then seeing who can or cannot outrun a stream of magma from an open floodgare.

I want you to do this, record it, and put it to "Yakkety Sax".
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 11:47:13 pm »

The best War Dogs are Giant Tigers, in my opinion.  Or possibly Giant Desert Scorpions.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
I approve.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 07:51:47 am »

If we had explosives, I would feed explosives to my ammodogs, pass them through a fire, THEN launch them from the bridgeapult.

Also, that wasn't a dog. it was a Goblin that had just gotten HIT by the dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IIaU4eM9Us&t=0m12s

Kennel - Train a Bomb Animal? Literal catsplosion ahoy.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 10:06:24 am »

If we had explosives, I would feed explosives to my ammodogs, pass them through a fire, THEN launch them from the bridgeapult.

Also, that wasn't a dog. it was a Goblin that had just gotten HIT by the dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IIaU4eM9Us&t=0m12s

Kennel - Train a Bomb Animal? Literal catsplosion ahoy.

I actually had this in mind when thinking about feeding my dogs explosives!

Unfortunately, there are no explosives in DF, and the outcomee would probably be very similar; the dogs running under my own tanks because they were used to train them.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 06:23:25 pm »

Quick update:

So far, most of my dogs are combinations of untold amounts of fat, enormous, gigantic build, and muscled.

However, none of them are combinations of all. Still working on that...

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 04:39:38 pm »

A couple of things.

1) I can confirm his current results. My polar bears are doing the exact same things.
This implies, fundamentally, that good research is being done!

2) I can also confirm that I may be becoming desensitized to dwarven violence after having a prison breech release 10 or so goblins, who proceeded to beat down the guards and move through the lower areas of the fort, destroying the various crews for my major systems. The was a major flood in the lower access tunnels that drowned two and stranded a number of miners in with the trogs in the caverns. Still, the bears were untouched and unaffected. Things should still work.

3) I can also say, the response time of the various military units is slow. If the fortress is to be maintained, I will need to pull back from the caverns and set up a checkpoint in one of the control tunnels. Miners are cheap, loosing test subjects and experimental tools are not.
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 05:19:16 pm »

A couple of things.

1) I can confirm his current results. My polar bears are doing the exact same things.

2) I can also confirm that I may be becoming desensitized to dwarven violence after having a prison breech release 10 or so goblins, who proceeded to beat down the guards and move through the lower areas of the fort, destroying the various crews for my major systems. The was a major flood in the lower access tunnels that drowned two and stranded a number of miners in with the trogs in the caverns. Still, the bears were untouched and unaffected. Things should still work.

3) I can also say, the response time of the various military units is slow. If the fortress is to be maintained, I will need to pull back from the caverns and set up a checkpoint in one of the control tunnels. Miners are cheap, loosing test subjects and experimental tools are not.

Congratz on dealing with your first break out.

Also lol Fat polah bahs.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 05:30:47 pm »

A couple of things.

1) I can confirm the the following is meaningless. My polar bears are doing the exact same things.

Congratz on dealing with your first break out.

Also lol Fat polah bahs.

Yeah, well I don't keep prisoners. They generally get used for training and live fire exercises. I also have a nifty firing squad wall, the get dumped into the pit, the soldiers move into position on one side, the bridge drops, they open fire.

My polah bah based research is of the highest caliber. Everything from quantum fur to blubber density is being checked to ensure top seal and goblin eating proportions! :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 05:38:00 pm »

Make sure those polah bahs eat their spinach :|
Pages: 1 [2] 3