Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: fairly good grip on game, but need some help, video of fortress provided  (Read 2652 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: fairly good grip on game, but need some help, video of fortress provided
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 10:57:44 am »

Danger Room

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I could only make out bits and pieces of the vid.  It moved pretty fast.  I'm a bluehead, and it takes me awhile to figure stuff out.  Plus, I haven't got a good grasp of the game in Ascii.  I play with Phoebus icons, sorry.  I hope things work out for you. 

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 02:37:51 pm »

a danger room is basically a lot of upright spear/spike traps armed with training spears.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

how to kill monsters?

use bridges and traps

1 tile long but very wide vridges are a wall when up and a path when down. If you ever need to have a 3 wide path, just lower them. it would look like this:
X = Wall
B= Bridge
. = Path (trapped as you wish)

XB.BX
XB.BX
XB.BX
XB.BX

etcas long as you want. It'll force enemies through the trapped middle. 3x 10 (full) Iron serrated discs will take apart almost anything, unless you are very unlucky. Goblins tend to get flucg around and away at the 1st, ettins die at the 2nd, I had a cyclops get to the 3rd. The only goblins to make it past were one who was the leader (ended in a cage trap) and one who was flung by a bridge going up (I wasnt sure on my defences, he landed in a cage trap). The survivors ran away just to run into a newly appearing ettin (yes, the one who was cut in two later on)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 11:27:15 pm »

well thanks guys.

also i take back the thing about my rangers not shooting, I saw them doing it in the last two battles.

I am now in the late 8th year of teh reclaim and have a bit over 1.1 million wealth.

I drove off an entire siege with no deaths, but the next one had a bunch of marksmen goblins and I unfortunately lost two axelords and a hammerlord.

Though I do still have an axe Lord, and four sword lords. I havnt done the danger room yet but so far my Militia is fairly strong. I just need more rangers is all. Dealing with goblin rangers when I want to drive off a siege is hard.

Also making a narrow walkway for the goblins to go through, it has some serated iron blades spread out on it to cause them to roll off the side down about three levels. soon ill be able to fill it partly with water so that when they break their legs they will drown (evil I know).

Though the thing with the caravans is that when I let down teh bridge and close it again sometiems a siege with trolls will still get in. ill figure something out.

Also ive never found 'the circus' when digging really deep. as i said, ive reached teh bottom of teh map before. the 'underworld' in legends is always in the bottom right of the map for some reason.

Also is there a way to copy my world so that I can abandon my fortress to see the legends real quick then put back in the backup  to restore my fortress? I want to see how many goblins were killed in a few sieges but I cant view legends until my fortress fails.

Also when do I implement current? im minting coins now, also how long does the average fortress last? im going on 9 years and its the longest yet.

one last question, when my dwarves who are possessed with an idea for an artifact and draw pictures of "quarries", what is the item they need? one dwarf needed bones (skeletons) wood metal cut gems and whatever that next thing would be; i had stone blocks so i think its something else

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 04:42:55 am »

Copying your save (yes, your world). Go to the DF Folder, find the 'data' folder and go in it. From there: save> you will see two or more folders depending on how many worlds you've generated. The first is a folder labelled 'current', do nothing with that. Find your world by copying the 'regionX' [X - number of the world created which can be seen when you load up] and then pasting the save OUTSIDE of the save folder. You can then go kill off abandon your dwarves and search the legends, when finished go back in the save folder and delete that world then copy-paste the one you back-upped outside the folder. Presto, you're back in action with your last present save.

About dwarven moods, they progress in order. So if you  need wood>cut gems>metal bars and you only have cut gems and metal bars then the moody dwarf will not pick them up until wood is available.

If someone can paste a wiki link, that would help a lot on that.

The 'average' fortress can last as long as the patience span of the creator lasts. They mostly die due to incompetence/uncarefulness/lack of fun/experiments/clowns/abandonment.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 04:18:19 pm »

why thank you for the link.

currently I have one dwarf doing this:

so-and-so screams: "I must have..."

logs!
rough gems!
body parts!
rock!
rock blocks!
rock!
rock blocks!
rock!

Though I think he starts on rocks, I can't the screaming is in a loop. I'm mining granite, mable, and other rocks and having all my masons make blocks in hopes that the right ones will be made in time. I also killed a horse and have many bones laying around, so I hope soon that this thing will be made, it sounds really cool. Body parts, lots of rocks and gems, tehe!

Also the homeland wanted to make me official land, and I elected my Militia commander,

The Legendary Swordsman Debuk Zagondnish Immastison, "Deduk Griptrades the Influential Plan" to the role of baron.

This man has slew 29 in his life time! One vulture, six trolls, and 22 goblins! Truly a man of courage and character!

As we are a warrior society, only giving tombs first to our soldiers even before our nobles, we have done well. In honoring our men, they have returned the favor to lead us to victory!

Wait, what's this?

"He doesn't handle stress well. He is not a risk-taker. he is interested only in facts and the real world. He likes to try new things. He is candid and sincere in dealing with others. He needs alcohol to get through the working day. He doesn't really care about anything anymore."

Oh crap are those bad personality traits for a baron? Heck, how can he be so good in battle yet not take risks or handle stress well?! then again, if he is cautious on the battlefield that might be a good thing...

EDIT: I should mention that I have the version released last March, the 2011 one, this wiki page is for 2010. I assume it will be close enough to the 2011 version but I thought I might just mention what version I have.

Also apparently I can't put stockpiles or garbage pits under bridges and now I cant make an atom smasher =(
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:21:01 pm by jasonwill2 »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 05:10:11 pm »

First the 2010 thing on the wiki refers to the DF 31.X versions, since they are also called DF 2010 since after a year of waiting DF was released on April Fool's day in 2010.
Also I would just like to point out that as long as your baron doesn't like slade, adamantine, crystal glass, or some other suitably difficult materials, then he should be fine as a baron. If he does like one of those then you can prepare for lots of !!FUN!! times ahead.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 05:15:19 pm »

cool. also I have a qeustion about the circus

the wiki says "are found once per map tile"

so if I have a 2x2 sized fortress on the map, will I still be able to find the circus if I decide to?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 05:19:59 pm »

The wiki is referring to the structure type of access point to the circus, which is filled with large amounts of !!FUN!!. You can also access the circus from anywhere by digging through the candy or very, very, rarely, finding a path through the molten rock by gems/minerals.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 11:04:01 pm »

Note on that, that special structure is found on only one map tile in the REGION map, the second screen in the embark so you would be extra lucky to find one as it contains more fun!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 12:37:49 am »

my mayor likes copper, fine there

btw, as the wiki says, your moody guy will gather stuff in order. so the bones are there, the blocks are there, but lets say there's no uncut gem anywhere, He'll get a log and then sit down on it, so you frantically make blocks, only to find out he needed a gem to et started

usually, just as some silk cloth, i buy gems from merchants just for stuff like this. I had 2 early deaths over this. One wanted shells, the other a cut gem i did not actually have. cut glass can also count as cut gem i found out. he wanted green glass and cut green glass...

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 01:10:32 pm »

Oh crap are those bad personality traits for a baron? Heck, how can he be so good in battle yet not take risks or handle stress well?! then again, if he is cautious on the battlefield that might be a good thing...

There's an old saying, "There are old soldiers, and there are bold soldiers, but there are no old, bold soldiers."

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:10:13 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 01:48:20 pm »

there are veterans and heroes and they both earn various medals.

medals for heroes are often awarded posthumously

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 05:09:50 am »

woot we went from baron to count! i took him out of the militia because he wouldnt conduct meetings for some reason, he would sit there with the diplomats but not talk, and removing him fixed that.

anyway, going to figure out how to remove the weather and rain so i wont lag as much.

does anyone know how to make soap? ill check the wiki but as it is many people in my fort have infections.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2011, 07:36:28 am »

Infections

Eeep...This will kill them if given enough time...

So on soap making, you need a bucket, some dead animal tallow [rendered fat - kitchen], some ash [wood burner furnace to be made into LYE which combines with soap], a free dwarf, and their respective workshops.

Now you don't need a hospital for dwarves to clean themselves, with soap. But you DO need a hospital for the diagnosis of the wounded and the stockpile for soap [+ chests]

Off-topic, there are tons of colors that aren't visible in the 'change color' bar...
Pages: 1 [2] 3