Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Help me out. It's easy.  (Read 2461 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me out. It's easy.
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 03:29:12 am »

What, to you people, is freedom?

I will attempt to answer the question. Difficulty arises in that "freedom" is a concept that only makes sense within a context that allows for the possibility of restriction. We, as human beings, do appear to exist within such a context, so it "makes sense" here, but how does one describe

Loosely speaking, freedom is the circumstance in which consciousness is able to experience in accordance with its choosing. This fails as a definition, because capacity to be aware of "options" might also be constrained. For example, it's difficult for a mouse to choose to get on a space shuttle and fly to the moon because it doesn't know about space shuttles or the moon. How can the mouse make such a choice? This lack of awareness itself can be viewed as a limitation of freedom.

Following that concept to its conclusion, "absolute freedom" might be described as a state of absolute knowing. A state in which consciousness is aware of all possibility. However, in such a state, it's likely that there would be no choosing, because again...all possibility is known. One does not need to look through a window to see whether it's clear or cloudy outside when one already knows. If one could simultaneously perceive two universes, one of which with clear and one with cloudy skies, would there not be even less reason to look out a window? When one knows everything and can perceive all possibility, what choices are there to be made?

In such a state, the question of "freedom" is somewhat beside the point. And, presumably, ironically, the only way to "act" upon "choice" would be to limit ones awareness of the All in order to focus on discrete possibliities...to choose amongst infinity to observe the finite, by blocking awareness of the possibilities not selected for viewing.

It is via this process that we experience the context in which a question like "what is freedom?" makes sense.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 07:06:35 am »

My answer was the best.

Freedom is the ability to say that ^^

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 12:47:46 pm »

Freedom proper is inalienable.

It is the freedom to put yourself under law, i.e. to be autonomous (self-ruled, self-ruling).  It is not the ability to do whatever you want.  It is the ability to decide whether you will do as you want or do as you ought.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 01:41:15 pm »

Freedom to me is the ability to spend all day, every day sitting on the couch in my underwear eating ice cream and pizza while playing video games and pretending the outside world doesn't exist.

I don't have enough money for freedom.   :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:43:31 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 01:55:34 pm »

Can I ask what your idea of freedom is, schrocko88?
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 03:27:36 pm »

Freedom proper is inalienable.

It is the freedom to put yourself under law, i.e. to be autonomous (self-ruled, self-ruling).  It is not the ability to do whatever you want.  It is the ability to decide whether you will do as you want or do as you ought.

Ahhh trying to define the difference between Freedom and License.

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 04:06:23 pm »

Can I ask what your idea of freedom is, schrocko88?

I think there is two types of freedom. The kind we want and the kind we get.

The kind we want is where we have the power to choose what we want, be it good or bad. And the responsability to deal whit what ever happens.

The kind we get is the illusion of making choices for ourselves while really we are just doing what the "higher ups" want us to do.
Add magma? Why the hell not?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 05:11:04 pm »

Honestly I don't give a shit if the choice is an illusion or not so long as I am happy and able to do the things I want.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 05:53:46 am »

I think freedom is taking full responsibility for your own wellbeing.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 10:41:24 pm »

the state in which the maximal number of options are avaliable to humanity, on average.
Pages: 1 2 [3]