Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you talk to yourself? (If "No", how do you percieve it?)

Yes, but only privately.
Yes, I don't care if anyone overhears.
At times, just to vent.
No, but I don't find it too odd.
No, I think they need somebody to talk to.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Talking to oneself: Is it really that strange a behavior?  (Read 2705 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Talking to oneself: Is it really that strange a behavior?
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:03:07 pm »

Obviously, since I'm starting this topic, I'm immediately admitting I do this. The talking to myself, not being the one being bothered by it.

Anyhow, it seems I've been overheard thinking out loud (so to speak), and I've finally been confronted about it by someone. They seemed pretty upset about it, to the point that they feared I was about to have a mental breakdown (considering I've had a few breaks occur in my past, mostly caused by stress, bullying, loneliness, and what-have-you). If anything, I'm just venting out whatever comes to mind at times; but usually have the courtesy to quiet down when someone's nearby, or at least, within earshot.

Personally, I find it easier to think this way. It breaks the silence and frees up some mental energy and allows me to ask my brain some questions and refine thoughts even further. Also I tend to read some of my posts out loud before posting them, but that's also just to make sure they sound right, or at least the context comes across easier. Kinda why I tend to ask myself questions in that manner. More or less, to sound less like an ass. If anything, alot of this has actually been a great ease on my psychology, and helped me lift a whole lot of (psychological/spiritual) weight off of me. So to say, I'm my own personal psychologist, and I'm pretty damn good. Understandably, it doesn't work on everybody, and can have the opposite effect, leading to more denial and crap, and just adding more weight to someone's mindset, and potentially making someone worse off a person in the long run. If anything, that was the first thing that came to mind when I started, and took every precaution to prevent psychological bias once it happened. If anything, I'm aware that there's a psychological/psychopathic event horizon, and at least try to keep a stable orbit away from it.

This is where my concern over the concerned comes to mind. Some of these have an orbit so far, they have myths about the event horizon being far larger and dangerous than it actually is, and are more closed-minded to it, and at times, pass judgement or over-protection, more than trying to understand it first. But I tend to sense a bit of a double-standard at times regarding this: They concern for me, and others like me, when they encounter someone letting off some steam, or milling an idea in their head, and need to voice out a few things to keep their minds rolling. Some do this out in public without a care; others wait for privacy, as to not bother others; and there are those that are outright paranoid, and tend to make ABSOLUTELY sure that they are alone, and cannot be heard by absolutely anyone, before they let their minds loose and go on; and then there are the total shut-outs which keep everything in their mind, and nowhere else. In a sense, they never speak their mind. My concern for the total shut-outs is: Is that healthy?

This kinda reminds me, actually, about a funny term I once heard from someone on another forum. They called it Mental Masturbation. Same exact mechanics as the physical act, except instead of the body fapping away, it's the mind doing so; it's a release of old pent-up crap, and frees up room for more lively thoughtlings that can eventually give birth to healthy new ideas. It follows similar mechanics to what I stated above as well. It's actually really funny now that I think about it. Would you prefer me to call the topic "Mental Masturbation: Does it socially count as Indecency?"? Well, put into that context, it seems to make a lot more sense why it's frowned upon, and treated as such. But then comes my bullshit call on other people who judge: Who are they to talk? Like they don't talk to themselves when they're in an empty house, or alone, or in their car and their radio doesn't work, musing ideas, coming up with masterpieces and so on. Look at it this way, some of our most brilliant minds have been perceived as a few screws loose to the machine.

I'd like to hold this belief, not on a level of denial, but more as an argument that this is normal for me. As I recall, some people find it even more disconcerting when a total loon finally starts acting sane (not saying I am one, but I tend to have habits that make me, well a bit unique and unusual). Something's wrong; especially if it comes out of nowhere. This is my fear considering if I suddenly break my commonplace appearance in front of other people (IE- If I comply and turn into a shut-out so I can appear like a normal person again); and to say the least, this sucks. It's like a Catch-22. I remain "crazy", I'm treated as such, I finally act sane, I'm "no longer myself" (and also feel as such) and people start worrying more. There's no way to win here.

Anyway, what are your opinions on this matter? Do you privately talk to yourself? Do you even care if you're overheard? I feel like I'm the only one annoyed and worried about this, and it's social stigma; but I also know I can't be the only one. This has been bothering me for far longer than you can imagine. I figure it's time to hear what others think about it.

An example of how I tend to regularly talk to myself: Watch some Freeman's Mind
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:00:16 pm by Itnetlolor »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Talking to oneself: Is it really that strange a behavior?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 07:08:05 pm »

Whoever's saying there's something wrong with you, they're the ones with the issue. It's perfectly normal to talk out loud to yourself. My entire family does it fairly openly. The idea that talking to oneself is a sign of mental instability is an outdated myth.
Nothing important here, move along.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 07:09:13 pm »

I know a lot of people who will mutter to themselves when they're doing things.
I personally have started muttering stuff to myself under my breath a lot. I also hold a lot of internal monologues, I'll mutter or mouth along to.

But I am actually crazy, so... yeah.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 07:09:51 pm »

I talk to myself (out loud and in my head) to sort of play devil's advocate with myself and look at problems in different perspectives. My usual problem solving methods don't always work and trying to think differently requires some level of... disconnect, which can result in me arguing with myself. This is true for everything from thinking about politics to programming.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 07:10:11 pm »

My father harasses me whenever he hears me talk to myself.

There is a STRONG myth that most people believe that people who talk to themselves are psychopaths (or at least have a severe mental illness). Hense why talking to yourself is Taboo.

So yeah it is that strange to talk to yourself to others and it indicates that you are an unhealthy and unstable individual who is probably going to hurt someone.

Inspite of the fact that it is perfectly normal and considered psychologically healthy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:12:00 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:11:54 pm »

I talk to myself, but tend to avoid doing it when other people are around. Because of what I'm talking about, not because I think they'll buy into that old myth about it being a sign of insanity, as everyone whose opinions I care about already knows that I'm stark raving mad. Or painfully sane.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 07:13:07 pm »

Well, I don't want to put a bad light on them, I understand their worry; especially if I am unfamiliar with it myself, like them. Like a parent to their child when they start behaving a little unusually; or at least, more than usual. Safety concern. But to give a little more identidy to who really asked, but still confidential enough for their sake, it was a family member who caught me and began asking questions.

I talk to myself (out loud and in my head) to sort of play devil's advocate with myself and look at problems in different perspectives. My usual problem solving methods don't always work and trying to think differently requires some level of... disconnect, which can result in me arguing with myself. This is true for everything from thinking about politics to programming.
Believe it or not, this was the central concern I was called out on. usually also because I characterize my voice for other perspectives. Like discussing things with different sides of my personality. Considering they are more spiritually-minded, I tend to come off as rather "possessed" at times. I like to think of it more like a side of my personality spectrum I wanted to address about an issue.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:20:52 pm by Itnetlolor »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 07:17:35 pm »

Talking to yourself can be a good thing, a bad thing, or mean nothing. It's a good thing if you use it to help you think and feel mentally refreshed afterwards. It means nothing if you just want to entertain yourself while bored. It's a bad thing if you fail to recognize that you are the only person actually involved, and everything else is just in your head. 

I talk to myself all the damn time, and sometimes it also shifts into daydreaming. Once, I even held a court case in my mind for about 20 minutes while waiting for a ride. Never actually got to the verdict, much like in night dreams.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 07:19:42 pm »

It's a bad thing if you fail to recognize that you are the only person actually involved, and everything else is just in your head.

In my experience most "Talking to yourself" is much more closely thinking outloud or responding to thoughts verbally.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 07:21:04 pm »

What I like to think about talking to oneself as is, nobody knows you better than yourself; to it's own degree, of course. Seeing as there are those that don't know themselves still. Anyhow, I already know my dictionary, contexts and so forth. I'm ahead of myself and connect far quicker than anyone else; therefore, things can be settled or discussed much quicker. Some bias may still be there, but at least they're not vitriolic biases that turn into the greater subject, than the intended one being discussed.

Also derails in my cases eventually re-rail (my thought patterns look like a spider's web with a few sub-webs). However, I know that there are Pride (sin) issues involved in a spiritual perspective, and how it can come off as rather narcissistic. Also a good reason to minimize bias with oneself when talking as well.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:25:07 pm by Itnetlolor »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 07:22:49 pm »

It's a bad thing if you fail to recognize that you are the only person actually involved, and everything else is just in your head.

In my experience most "Talking to yourself" is much more closely thinking outloud or responding to thoughts verbally.
Indeed. But if begin your thoughts as Neonivek and respond to them as Xenonwic, the unborn ghost of your evil twin who lives in your mind, then you're crazy.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 07:23:40 pm »

Indeed. But if begin your thoughts as Neonivek and respond to them as Xenonwic, the unborn ghost of your evil twin who lives in your mind, then you're crazy.

Or Haunted. I could just be haunted.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 07:25:26 pm »

All my thoughts actually come in the form of me explaining something to an imaginary person. Sometimes it's someone I know, more often than not it's just some vague abstract of a person.
Sometimes I get worried because this imaginary person often asks questions or for elaborations.

I have no clue how much this is in line with the way other people think.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 07:25:40 pm »

Or Haunted. I could just be haunted.
No, you're definitely crazy. That's why you were brought to this fine institution on the coast of Twelfth Bay.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 07:27:08 pm »

You're not alone on that one either.

Like mentioned about narcissism. After being bored talking with myself, I make them more unique and make them a separate being. Of course, denying them any form of over-ride or "evil spiriting".

Believe it or not, being my own worst critic and whatnot as well; it has really helped me come up with some pretty kickass ideas for art or design. Considering also interacting with devices by visual implant "Imagining seeing it" and kinaesthetic imagination "to interact with the weight, scale, and so on". Simply, the mind is powerful computer, I intend to see how far I can overclock it without it breaking. I'm a bit of a red-liner.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:31:49 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: [1] 2