Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you talk to yourself? (If "No", how do you percieve it?)

Yes, but only privately.
Yes, I don't care if anyone overhears.
At times, just to vent.
No, but I don't find it too odd.
No, I think they need somebody to talk to.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Talking to oneself: Is it really that strange a behavior?  (Read 2701 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Talking to oneself: Is it really that strange a behavior?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 07:27:54 pm »

Whenever I 'talk to myself' it's usually just verbalizing my thoughts. The fact that my internal monologue occasionally takes a question-and-answer form sometimes causes people to double-take if they don't know me.

Sometimes I sort of half talk to myself and half to people around me, but I'm usually so quiet when I do they don't hear me anyway.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 07:31:20 pm »

Talking to myself is far from the strangest of my mental processes, anyway. I think I've mentioned somewhere in the pony thread that my writing style is to bounce around an idea for a chapter or an essay in my head for a few weeks, trimming, formulating, editing, etc., and then sit down and type it out in twenty minutes...

I do that for everything. Daydreams, plans, conversations past and potential, idle thoughts, things I see, things I want to see, and so on. Everything that catches my attention ends up stuck in my head for weeks at a time as I make little adjustments to my memory/hopes/ideas regarding whatever it is, and it doesn't stop until I get to the point where I can't think of any ways to improve it to suit my tastes more than I already have, and then I get bored and forget about it. I do this for everything from major events in my life to opening packets of ramen. It doesn't help that I'm a lazy obsessive perfectionist (I know what I want to do to make something awesome, I have a weak to strong compulsion to do so, but I'm too lazy to follow through and I half-ass it, making it come back to mind later). So I, say, open a packet of ramen in a really sloppy way, and make it. Then I spend the next week thinking about how I could have opened it to make a neat little scrap of paper, or to make it easier to pour, et cetera. And I keep doing this for everything that floats into my mind and displaces the last thing.  :-X

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 07:35:40 pm »

Talking to myself actually produces more sanity...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 07:39:29 pm »

If I were to actually commit to writing or anything of the sort, this really helps with writing dialogue, coming up with funny one-liners, and so on and so forth. Having also been a bit of a social outcast as well as being talked over, forgotten in a conversation and so on; including when the family chats, and the same things happen; well, this habit budded from it, and actually has refined my charisma more than enough to also be able to snark on the spot with some really clever one-liners or use such a sharp wit, the "blood "takes it's time to be drawn out before the strike is revealed to be far deeper than it initially looked.

I've been mentioned by an old co-worker when I pulled something like that off as a "Secret Smartass". That had to be one of the best reactions I've heard because it took some of them a moment to realize something I stated before practically rolling laughing. If anything, talking to myself actually helped me get comedic timing down.

Talking to myself actually produces more sanity...
You're more sane the more comfortable you are with your insanity. That's how I view it. If nobody accepts it, then they have yet to accept theirs.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 07:53:11 pm »

All my thoughts actually come in the form of me explaining something to an imaginary person. Sometimes it's someone I know, more often than not it's just some vague abstract of a person.
Sometimes I get worried because this imaginary person often asks questions or for elaborations.

I have no clue how much this is in line with the way other people think.

I do this all the time, and I have at least one friend who does as well. Granted, my mental health isn't exemplary, but it's a long way from psychopathy. I think as long as you're aware the other person is imaginary you're ok.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 07:57:13 pm »

I realized I forgot to include this as an example of how I tend to talk to myself at times, and generally yet another reason why I would be terrible in horror movies and campaigns. For starters, I just wouldn't shut up; and second off, I can kill horror with undiluted wit.

Consider me going through life as if it were an episode of Freeman's Mind. Heck, even if I were to go insane, you'll still get some pretty funny commentary, provided you understand it, or the references, the context, or anything else involved. WARNING: May require, at regular intervals, large doses of TVTropes, SCP Foundation, anime, all kinds of games, and free time to get a good idea of what I'm thinking or referencing.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 08:45:39 pm by Itnetlolor »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 07:57:39 pm »

Im good on it, best one is i can carry on conversations to the point of mimicking other personalities of other people and i can say im never wrong yet.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 08:13:41 pm »

it is normal to think ,talking out load is a slip of the mind nothing more
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 08:17:19 pm »

I talk to myself a lot. Mostly when dealing with information, but sometimes I do it while under stress or simply because I'm completely alone and feel like vocalizing my thoughts because I can.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 08:28:00 pm »

You're more sane the more comfortable you are with your insanity. That's how I view it. If nobody accepts it, then they have yet to accept theirs.
As so elegantly noted by Stephen King, being sane doesn't mean you aren't crazy, it means you're at least decently skilled in avoiding mental hospitals.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 08:41:49 pm »

I talk to myself aloud, hold conversations with different parts of my personality, and talk to inanimate objects.  Such as teapots and math problems.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 09:11:43 pm »

Yeah, there's not really any problem with talking to yourself unless you genuinely believe there are two of you and you are talking to the other one. :P

That's just how some people work things out, I do it too.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 09:18:47 pm »

Unless you get over the fear, then you could let paranoia get the best of you, and go insane from it. It's one of those deadly infinite loops.

I've been fine with talking to myself in public (like mentioned in OP, I tone down or shut it when others are nearby or get close enough to give me odd glances). My main worry tends to be when family gets involved, and they get paranoid that I might be slipping in and out of sanity regularly. Not the first time I've been put into therapy because of this. It's like I'm the only one in my family that does this. Mind you, I'm only 1 out of at least 10 people, if you want to include relatives and/or in-laws, in the family. Reason for my initial concerns about this subject. Where family is concerned, I'm outmatched and outnumbered.

Sometimes, it tends to result in reactions like you'd see in some America's Funniest Home Videos, where a kid is talking or singing to themselves, or playing with imaginary friends, and once they notice they've been spotted, they panic; that's where I am, I'm the kid panicking. Considering I tend to have PTSD from having to deal with the worse psych, the -iatrist (the type that prescribe drugs), and a few other drug run-ins, and at least one of them nearly knocking me into a coma (for your safety, the brand was Geodon that hit me hardest, nearly putting me into a coma; a previous, and just as nasty one was Zyprexa), as well as slowing my mental faculties so much, I almost got put into special-ed in high school (despite being near-genius throughout home schooling (also according to standardized tests), and my first year returning to public), ugh. On one hand, I am happy to have made my mind really resilient by actually overcoming the drugs and recovering from them completely, and then some; but on the other, despite also self-administering psychological reviewing and so on, in order to prevent future events and encounters, even though acceptance is verbalized by nearly everyone I know, I still call bullshit (indirectly) because of their repeat concerns, and what essentially comes off as selective amnesia regarding the events and so on.

In a sense, I have a feeling that I am getting too smart at times, according to their perspectives, to the point that it's like I've been hiding so many problems from them for so long, I'm a Pandora's Box waiting to unleash Hell once opened. My problem with that view? It was opened since the first time I got bullied, and not even the school did anything about it. Hell was unleashed once I finally had enough of it, and decided to walk out of middle school un-announced, and take up home schooling. It even took the middle school half a year to notice something may be wrong; similar with some of my old school friends. Once they finally heard, no contact to see if I was alright. [sarcasm]Gee, thanks. I know I can count on you guys.[/sarcasm]. Back to topic, After hell was unleashed, I've spent my time since I started home school working on fixing myself from the inside. I had to lapse my sanity briefly so I can re-piece the fragments of it back together myself. Once that got settled, I was then able to keep a balanced, though rather unorthodox, mindset in my own comfortable style. Without the judgement of asshole classmates and useless teachers and principles and (mis-)guidance counselors, I was able to get things working to the point where I discovered my true self, and dis-illusioned myself from being "The Nice Guy". Then again, that image eventually turned into arrogance, and had to be taken apart one last time by confronting my innermost demons of bullying. What was initially going to be a standard internet attack from a website turned into a curb-stomp battle from my end essentially responding like a seasoned veteran that has experienced World War 3 in the manner of "That's it? That's all you've got? Who's really trolling here no,w because I don't think I was supposed to take on that role. I'm bored. Later.". Well, that's more or a summary of what happened. I jumped into a lion's den or a shark tank, and shrugged them off, and reduced them to their small fry counterparts because as a victim, I was disappointed by a vicious attack.

Maybe yet another reason I would not work in horror campaigns. I can look into absolute terror, and challenge it to a staring contest. Mindflayers would lose their minds if they were to even attempt to screw around with my mind. I've been through so much crap, almost nothing scares me even more. Even my worst fear of spiders. I am actually making it a New Year's resolution to try and finally make peace with them "Before the end". I'm actually getting tired of smashing them into oblivion, and asking forgiveness from them before I execute them; or even giving them a heads-up warning if I spot them, and spare them so I won't have to kill them.

Now that I come and think about it, I think my family's greatest fear is me turning into a Tyler Durden. Look, even I would find my own reasons to kick that guy's ass whenever it's necessary. Even an offshoot of my personality turning into one.

EDIT:
What really helps my perspective and psychological evolution is that my nephew is alot like me to many degrees (he's even starting to look like me when I was his age, it's weird). To the point that I can actually serve as a guide to prevent him from dealing with much of the same crap I had to with advice from experience (and in case he doesn't believe me, I let him to the hard way of experience), as well as being the judge in conflicts that can give a good disciplining where it belongs with justice prevailing (meaning, I don't play well to the "Boys can't hit girls" rule. Enforcing it only allows me to further investigate). Nobody gets away with crap around me, unless I'm feeling merciful. But even so, I still make things fair enough.

EDIT EDIT:
Said family member earlier did some searching after I called them out that I can't be the only one, and as the Google search showed (and I searched for it myself out of curiosity), the responses look similar to this board. Ranging from "no real problem." and "Not anything to really be worried about." to "Signs of advanced intelligence", "Self Therapy", and even the Talking to Himself trope (although that one is about voice acting), and a few stating otherwise and how to cure from it.

I love it when I turn up justified cases like that. Unfortunately, this thread is too new to be Googled.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:20:19 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 [2]