Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: How to fight  (Read 4845 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to fight
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2011, 08:03:50 pm »

if you cant make a good fist then you can use your parms , just fold your finger so there in a flat line with you parm it is weaker than a good fist but a lot better then a broken bone.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 08:20:05 pm »

To people posting specific techniques, in case you missed it the OP clarified that these are trained fighters he's talking about. The kind of techniques you learned at your YMCA rape-avoidance seminar aren't going to help him.

Getting someone in a chokehold
they are unlikely to be able to get out of it if you do it right.

Why should they bother trying to get out of it when they can simply rotate their throat into the inside of your armpit where you can't choke them, then have a field day on your exposed ribs? Or step between your legs, grab your ankle and smash you onto the ground? Or place the edge of their shoe under your knee, rake across your shins and stomp on your foot? Or reach around and dig their thumbs into your neck?

Or any of a dozen other things that an experienced practitioner will know to do in this situation.

jam your thumb into the pressure point an inch or so above their wrist, as hard as you can.

No. Just, no.

If you have 10 seconds of trial and error to find the right spot, with the aid of an experienced practitioner to help you find it, and the person you're doing it on politely stands there and let's you do this...you might cause them enough pain to get them to say "ow" and shake out their wrist. And if you push really hard they might feel it enough to continue to be annoyed about it while they bash in your skull for the next few minutes.

Unless of course, they simply rotate their wrist to avoid it. Or never let you do it in the first place because they're too busy punching you in the face with their other hand: A one-handed wrist grab will not hold anybody. You'll need both hands to secure their wrist, which means you'll have no hands free to deal with their other hand.

Again, this might be useful against someone who has no idea what they're doing, but give me all of five minutes in person and I can teach you how to never have to worry about a technique like this ever again. Anyone with a year or two of training will be able to avoid it.

Sometimes, if someone tries to punch you you can sidestep and use their motion to twist their arm behind their back; you can do this with their pinky alone, because people will twist in order to avoid having their pinky broken.  It helps if you've had practice.

Yes, it helps if you've had practice. Maybe five or ten minutes with a cooperative partner and a good teacher. It also helps if the person you're doing it on is deliberately giving you a crazy, straight-armed downward swing through the air instead of actually trying to hit you. And if you have all these things going for you, you might just be able to pull it off if the person you're doing it on is just as inexperienced as you are and has no idea how to avoid it.

Some of these techniques you guys are talking about can be completely shut down by something as trivial as rotating your hips slightly. Or by not punching like a retard.

Joint manipulation and grappling techniques take a good deal of time and practice to learn. And unfortunately, many of them are easier to learn how to avoid than they are to learn to do. Anyone who's done any martial art for any significant length of time has had the experience where they sit there, bored, while a junior student holds their arm looking for some pressure point, asking "Is that it? What about there? No? Ok, how about that, do you feel it yet?" And these are students with months of training and a teacher on hand to help them.

Don't expect to be able to do this stuff to somebody who knows more about it than you do.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 08:38:14 pm »

I didn't learn any of this from a YMCA rape-avoidance seminar.  Most of it I figured out on my own ("do what makes sense"--okay, punching and throwing around my weight are not going to work, seeing as I weigh 90 pounds and am about five feet tall.  What next?).  As such, I figured the OP wouldn't have too much trouble >_>

But, if you think it'd take him too long to learn, I am perfectly willing to stand aside.

The umbrella idea is probably especially me-suited, anyway, because it probably isn't recommended for someone who lacks multiple years of kendo practice.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:23 pm »

I seem to be agreeing with about everything LordBucket says, anything specific is utterly useless in this situation. Even with several years under my belt at boxing, it's still pretty hard to get anything new to work well until I've had multiple sparring sessions to have gotten used to it (and that's despite knowing exactly what and how I'm going to do it). Anything more than really, REALLY general advice is likely to be completely ineffective.

You can practice/theorise all you want but in an actual fight everything works differently, as they wont be sitting there for you to get everything right, and they wont be predictable. It's all well and good to try and say, grab their arm, until you get punched in the face by their other hand (and well, depending on your reflexes, stuff like that could take ages to learn anyways).

And yes, a lot of stuff you might try, they'd be better at it (for instance, taking one of Vector's suggestions, the boxer (idk about MMA that much so I wont make any statements about it) is a lot more likely to get an angle on you than you are on him).

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2011, 09:42:06 pm »

jam your thumb into the pressure point an inch or so above their wrist, as hard as you can.

No. Just, no.
If I recall this is more useful for loosening someone's grip anyway, say on a knife or gun, or if they've (stupidly) grabbed you and are pulling. Not something that would hopefully come up with this, but it hurts like flipping hell (more than just annoyance, unless they're on meth) if you've got something to leverage it, say, a short stick or a key. Not entirely useless at least. But it's not suited for a fast counter.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2011, 09:43:18 pm »

I said it earlier and I said it again. They will out-fight you in the present state of affairs. If your victory condition is to win the fight, you will not see victory. Change your victory condition to minimizing the harm you receive and you will be doing better.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2011, 10:08:50 pm »

I should add that I agree with whoever talked about reframing the fight.  If you absolutely have to fight, that's the best thing that's come up in this thread thus far.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2011, 10:23:04 pm »

punching and throwing around my weight are not going to work,
seeing as I weigh 90 pounds and am about five feet tall.

Size difference are a serious inconvenience. I'm small myself, and I can think of quite a few times sparring with someone with years less experience than myself, but who outweighed me by 70 pounds. Unfortunately even with training and practice, an awful lot of techniques simply don't work on someone with a significant size advantage.

Just like you've pointed out that your size makes it impractical to do some things on people who are a great deal larger than you, similarly, some things are simply impractical on someone with more training and experience. An eye gouge or a close-up index finger jab to the base of throat will generally work on anyone regardless of size/training/etc. advantages, but grappling techniques and joint manipulation generally take a good deal of time to learn well, and aren't something I'd recommend expecting to work on someone with a training and experience advantage.

The umbrella idea is probably especially me-suited, anyway, because it
probably isn't recommended for someone who lacks multiple years of kendo practice.

Ironically, I would tend to guess that kendo training would be somewhat counterproductive for using an umbrella in self defense. Without getting into complicated hooking techniques using the handle, the simplest way to use an umbrella would be to get one that has a metal tip, and stab with it. Kendo heavily emphasizes slashing motions, which I'd expect to be generally ineffective unless you have a really solid umbrella.

If I were to advise someone on use of an umbrella for self defense, I would recommend a long stance, something like jodan kamae, but with chest more fully rotated and rather than holding the umbrella high, give it a double underhanded grip with the lead hand towards the tip, and the trailing hand on your hip. Keep your opponent in front of you, and if they get close, thrust with rear hand, guide with lead hand, and burrow the tip in their stomache.

But even that's assuming you have a solid umbrella with a metal tip, rather than one of the flimsy collapsible onces I usually see. A collapsible, I think you'd pretty much be reduced to keeping it short, holding it by the tip rather than handle, and using it like a kubotan.

Also, just in case it's useful to you, one of the most common techniques taught in unarmed combat to deal with a sword is to rush it. A slashing weapon requires a minimum swing distance to be effective. If an attacker can close to closer than the length of the weapon, the majority of what the weapon can do is eliminated. If I were to attack someone using an umbrella I would simply guard my face and groin, plan to absorb one swing on the way in and grapple. At that point the umbrella is pretty much useless.

Granted, you're probably not planning on fighting off trained attackers, but again, if you have the umbrella for it, I'd encourage stabbing over slashing.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2011, 10:29:53 pm »

1. Train at the gym a little.

2. Tell someone.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:33:05 pm by Hitty40 »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2011, 10:46:19 pm »

idk about MMA that much so I wont make any statements about it

It varies a lot. "MMA" basically just means "trained in a couple unrelated styles." Combining an upright striking style with a grappling style is pretty much standard, but which exact styles any particular person or school is mixing will vary.

With more information it might be possible to craft strategies to play on their particular styles weaknesses...for example, karate practitioners tend to be good at blocking but bad at in-close fighting, kickboxers tend to strike fast but move slow, etc. But that level of theory crafting, while entertaining, is unlikely to be something the OP would be able to take advantage of.

the boxer
is a lot more likely to get an angle on you than you are on him

Agreed. Advise I'd give here is first off to guard your head like hell because they tend to hook-punch you from strange angles, then focus on taking them out of their element. Kicking them in the shins would be a good start.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2011, 10:49:38 pm »

I no longer weigh 90 pounds, but I am still pretty light (that's just the weight and height I was at when physically being bullied started being a problem--so yes, I do have reasonable practice with using what I'm talking about against 30-40-lb-heavier opponents).  I'll be lighter, probably by about 10 pounds, if the past is anything to judge by, when I have a reasonable schedule and can actually exercise goddammit.

I have a solid umbrella with a metal tip which is just about the same length as my bokken, and quite a bit of experience hitting various flavors of tsuki with the other weapon.  Oh, and sparring experience as a light person who has to work angles and has developed a stronger left arm than right, blah blah blah.

Honestly, though, if my kiai is still what it used to be (louder than a room of 60 other kendo practitioners, and powerful enough to occasionally get people to actually freeze and drop their guard), that'd probably be my greatest "weapon."  Shouting for dominance and shouting for help are both very useful things.

2. Buy a knife. Or get a shortsword if you can afford it and find a way to conceal it.

4. Buy some flashbangs. When you proceed to fight, toss one out, hide behind a corner, close your eyes and cover your ears.

These are both stupid and illegal.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2011, 10:52:06 pm »

2. Buy a knife. Or get a shortsword if you can afford it and find a way to conceal it.

4. Buy some flashbangs. When you proceed to fight, toss one out, hide behind a corner, close your eyes and cover your ears.

Both of these are really really bad ideas. The OP is a child, the worst that is going to happen to him from authority is spend a short amount of time in juvy. More likely then not authority will not care in the least. But once you take something like a flashbang or a lethal weapon into it he is totally fucked.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2011, 11:32:26 pm »

Both of these are really really bad ideas. The OP is a child, the worst that is going to happen to him from authority is spend a short amount of time in juvy. More likely then not authority will not care in the least. But once you take something like a flashbang or a lethal weapon into it he is totally fucked.

Hmm, didn't think of that. I'll edit my post then.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2011, 11:54:00 pm »

Fighting sucks, even when you win you get hurt and it can also get you into trouble with the law.

This. So very much this. Words of wisdom.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2011, 12:08:25 am »

Well, it seems like everything useful here has been said. My plan is pretty much to avoid them and not to go out into secluded areas where they can get me unless I'm with a group of friends. If it comes down to it and I'm forced to fight, I suppose I will until I get a chance to run. Don't really know what else to add.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5