Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Weaponize This (devlog quote)  (Read 36173 times)

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponize This (devlog quote)
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2011, 08:16:05 am »

The news is inspiring. And this thread more so. I wonder if Toady will leave them with an allergy to the sun, though it might be telling (if somewhat amusing) to have Urist McFangy burst into flame as soon he steps onto the map.

But the images in my mind now! A large obsidian Aztec temple rising above the jungle floor in the hot biome, complete with its blood-stained altar at the top. A dwarf trudges to the top of the temple, where the High Priest and his three priestesses await.

"Urist McCheesemaker, as our third cheesemaker, you have been chosen for an honor lifting you high above all the other migrants who came with you here." Intones High Priest, his voice a deep rumble. "You are to be the sacrifice. For we need blood....for the blood god."

The priestesses move in on each side, smiling and showing off some very pointy teeth in the process. Their whispers echo the High Priest's words "Blood, for the blood god."

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2011, 08:39:04 am »

The news is inspiring. And this thread more so. I wonder if Toady will leave them with an allergy to the sun, though it might be telling (if somewhat amusing) to have Urist McFangy burst into flame as soon he steps onto the map.

But the images in my mind now! A large obsidian Aztec temple rising above the jungle floor in the hot biome, complete with its blood-stained altar at the top. A dwarf trudges to the top of the temple, where the High Priest and his three priestesses await.

"Urist McCheesemaker, as our third cheesemaker, you have been chosen for an honor lifting you high above all the other migrants who came with you here." Intones High Priest, his voice a deep rumble. "You are to be the sacrifice. For we need blood....for the blood god."

The priestesses move in on each side, smiling and showing off some very pointy teeth in the process. Their whispers echo the High Priest's words "Blood, for the blood god."
There's no more to say. It all makes sense now. They run the church.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2011, 08:39:58 am »

If there is an allergy to the sun, it would more likely be permanent cave adaptation, or somesuch.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2011, 09:22:10 am »

Am I missing some information about vampire feeding habits?  Do they only feed on dwarf blood?  Because if not, the possibilities for quarantine rooms or a segregated vampire fort are delicious, to say the lest.  I don't care how often or how much they eat...if you can feed them goblins and elves and humans, you just found one more use for invaders or traders.  If they can suck on animals....? Why then I might try converting my entire population.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2011, 09:45:35 am »

If there is an allergy to the sun, it would more likely be permanent cave adaptation, or somesuch.

"Okay, we're going to work out just who the vampire is by sending everyone outside into daylight"

"Huh... they're ALL vomiting and writhing in agony...Whoops..."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2011, 09:47:52 am »

"Okay, we're going to work out just who the vampire is by sending everyone outside into daylight"

"Huh... they're ALL vomiting and writhing in agony...Whoops..."
The solution is obviously magma.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2011, 10:02:17 am »

Unholy water?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2011, 10:27:56 am »

Unholy water?

You only get that when a drunken dwarven priest pisses in the font.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2011, 10:28:48 am »

Unholy water?

Would water from Hell do?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2011, 10:29:20 am »

Unholy water?

Would water from Hell do?

Be delicious.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2011, 10:35:05 am »

I DO actually wish to build a massive obsidian temple, where the top is an entrance that is shut every time a sacrifice of sacrifices enter. The temple will be a twisted maze of halls and doors, each room containing its own dangers. The initial 2-3 floor drop will damage the sacrifice slightly, there will be spike and arrow traps all across the temple triggered by pressure plates, secret passages (bridge walls) that when triggered will release all sorts of horrors upon the unfortunate survivors and, when they inevitably make their way to the heart of the temple (the only way out), they will come face to face with the priest and priestess of Armok, their crimson robes reminiscent of blood... Whether the sacrifices survive this far, no one knows. Will they survive two vampire priests of Armok? I think not.

Mmmm. Seasonal sacrifices FTW.

BONUS POINTS for making the temple the only way into your fortress, with passages that open and shut constantly due to pressure plates, some constant some one-time.

MUAHAHAHAHA

The Temple of Armok has risen from the ashes of the old world, as Armok awakes from its fell slumber upon the blood moon...
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2011, 11:27:28 am »

I like. But I'm very taken with the idea of having it be somewhat Aztec in design. So you may not be the only one making one of these.

I wonder if there's a dwarven god that looks like a winged snake.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2011, 11:47:57 am »

The possibilities of vampires and necromancers together is...immense.

I assume a werewolf will transform and kill and the crime will work just like vampire killings (an unknown perpetrator).

As for necromancers...will your dwarves start worshiping them or will the necromancers kill people so they can raise them..or what kind of DF mode fun are we looking at?   Toady didn't say much other then him working out how they had to transform for longer periods of time in fortress mode then in adventurer mode.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2011, 12:03:32 pm »

Damn it, the only way to stop possible injustice is to ensure that the vampire never gets close enough to anyone in the first place.

Looks like I'm gonna be building some complex and contained entryways to my forts after the update. Protected by the fortress guard, and allowing me only to let a couple migrants through at a time. I should also start building some sort of "PURGE EVERYTHING" contraption, just in case.

If I'm able to let the vampires feed without having them kill the dwarves as well, I might use it as a punishment for pissing me off (more than normal)on occasion.

What's that? Urist Mcbroker decided to have a nice drink, a lavish meal, and then take a nap while the caravan was getting ready to leave? Alright, you get to spend a season in the vampire burrow.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16