Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Embarked on a Kobold Cave...  (Read 4780 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embarked on a Kobold Cave...
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:30:09 pm »

I just embarked on a kobold cave. They're friendly too!
Any ideas worth sharing?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarked on a Kobold Cave...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:31:53 pm »

Fill it with toys.
Then let a FB loose in it so they're not lonely.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Vindictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 01:40:28 pm »

Dig a tunnel so deep it reaches hell, and a tower so high the ancient, abominal gods of the stars might walk down it.

Then abandon fort, wait a few in-game years, and see what happens.

[Note- I dont think toady has a 'Built too high' set up. It would be fun if he did though.]

Well, I now have an urge to end sentient life.

I think I'll go meditate for a bit.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:43:31 pm »

Dig a tunnel so deep it reaches hell, and a tower so high the ancient, abominal gods of the stars might walk down it.

Then abandon fort, wait a few in-game years, and see what happens.

[Note- I dont think toady has a 'Built too high' set up. It would be fun if he did though.]
Have massive waves of
come out, and give all of your dwarves curses instead of syndromes!  :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 01:43:44 pm »

Create a kobold nature reserve.

And kill everything that dares enter it.

And put your trade depot inside it.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 01:51:55 pm »

I genned the world to have no demons. :(
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Vindictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 02:10:10 pm »

Do you have a bottom layer?

I think if you have a bottom layer, then it doesn't matter if the rest of the world has demons, you can still dig too deep. Not sure though, so don't quote me on that.

Hmm... Science... Gen a world with no demons, no caverns, and about three/four levels before adamantium. Then dig through the adamantium layer. If you get a demon zergrush, then it doesn't matter if you gen demons or not. If you don't, settle hell to make sure.
Well, I now have an urge to end sentient life.

I think I'll go meditate for a bit.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 02:32:01 pm »

Umm, all I see is tons of querns and rings everywhere - something blue - and no kobolds...

Can you upload the save?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 02:35:39 pm »

Hmm... Science... Gen a world with no demons, no caverns, and about three/four levels before adamantium. Then dig through the adamantium layer. If you get a demon zergrush, then it doesn't matter if you gen demons or not. If you don't, settle hell to make sure.
Just tried - it gave the usual message for discovering the Underworld, but nothing came through afterwards.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 02:55:56 pm »

Hmm...do Kobolds ever send sieges, or just thieves?

On the one hand, the "friendly" kobolds encountering a single kobold thief from the same civ will result in a loyalty cascade, so you'll want to isolate them from kobold thieves if you want to keep them alive.

On the other hand, in my experience with bugged "friendly" goblins on reclaim, they'll stay friendly exactly until you get a siege. When you get a siege by their civ, they'll become "hostile". I lost a few dwarves that way to a goblin that I'd let live in one of my bedrooms, since it was friendly and not getting in anyone's way.

If you move in with the kobolds, live side-by-side in peace and harmony, and get a kobold siege, you'll be living side-by-side in pieces pretty quick if you haven't armed and armored your civilians in case of betrayal.

A "hostile" will attack an "invader", so they still lead to a loyalty cascade that results in only one remaining "invader" or one remaining "hostile" when two groups meet.

One caveat: since thieves and ambushes don't trigger the change from "friendly" to "hostile", any goblin/kobold that survives a loyalty cascade caused by a thief/ambusher will not change from "friendly" to "hostile" when a siege happens, since they don't care at all whether their former civ is attacking anybody. They'll still trigger loyalty cascades in invaders they meet, but won't turn on you.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 03:00:48 pm »

Kobold's don't actually siege though, they just send ambush squads. Do those cause Friendly units of the same civ to turn Hostile? Also, wouldn't any soldier killing a kobold result in them becoming an enemy of the kobold civ and then start attacking the 'bolds that are just loitering about?

Anyway, since that cave leads to at least the first cavern layer, it's only a matter of time until a FB arrives from there to do some rampaging, since the 'bolds will be fair game for them to attack besides your dwarves and livestock.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 03:06:11 pm »

Do what is right, and put the kobolds out of their misery.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 03:18:15 pm »

I'm actually terrified to go outside. I walled off all the wagons as soon as I could cause of skeletal giraffes and rhinos kept coming.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 03:19:08 pm »

Let the kobolds try and defend you. Less kobolds the better!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 03:23:22 pm »

I'm actually terrified to go outside. I walled off all the wagons as soon as I could cause of skeletal giraffes and rhinos kept coming.
Capture the kobolds, put them in an enclosure with nest boxes, and start a captive breeding program to allow them to survive in the world?

Better yet, mod them to be tameable and not need to eat, tame the whole lot, and give them out as pets to your dwarves. Or maybe remove the [PET] tag after taming them and make them into valuable fortress citizens. The possibilities are endless!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3