Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Random question - What's with all the my little ponies?  (Read 6304 times)

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
Random question - What's with all the my little ponies?
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:42:43 pm »

Forgive me if I may be mentioning the elephant in the room (no boatmurdered pun intended), but.... eh... did I miss something? Seems to me like Dwarf Fortress and My Little Pony would be on pretty much the opposite ends of any demographic chart they appeared on.  So let's just say I'm a little curious about some of the topics... mods... megaprojects... fan fictions... etc...

So, er, moving right along...
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Random question - What's with all the my little ponies?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:48:00 pm »

Opposites often attract each other.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 12:49:53 pm »

Part of it is that the sheer difference makes crossovers/mods more interesting, and part of it is that the MLP fanbase has all of the members. All of them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:50:53 pm »

In a nutshell, as an outsider who has never seen a full episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the recent TV show is written, drawn, and animated by clever writers and sharp artists in such a way that it appeals beyond the franchise's target demographic (little girls). The people behind the show are also all in some way related to other popular TV shows like the Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, the latter of which is also a show with cutesy female characters that ended up appealing across typical gender lines.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:10:44 pm »

In my case and I suspect many others, I was introduced to My Little Pony, immediately thought people were crazy and / or making fun of it by parodying it and using the ponies as their avatars here.  Then I started looking into the show, and within a week I found that I actually quite liked it.  Trying to explain it past that is impossible, and I've stopped trying to rationalize it.

I'll agree on the point about opposites attracting though.  The pony mod for Dwarf Fortress is very fun.  There's nothing quite like having ponies hack each other apart with battle axes and kick skulls in with their freakishly deadly hooves.  Naming the ponies in your fort after canon ponies is just gravy on the top.  Then you get to imagine hilarity such as said ponies going insane and kicking each others' skulls in.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 02:44:43 pm »

Well...

For one, the show is very, very fun. The community is huge,fun, and many a great fanproject has been made based on it. There on minecraft, for goshs sakes!

Also, the world is rather easy to translate into dwarf fortress. The world itself alomst runs on a caste system of sorts, and giant beasts are in no short supply ( Giant bears the size of citys, anyone?) The show itself is rather deep for a kids show, and the fandom is spread all over the place. I would have been suprised if there was not a mod on here, actualy.

Oh, and ponymod is realy, realy fun and creative.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 08:11:42 pm »

I for one am not so weak as to be corrupted by Chaos Ponies. A Pony enters my fort, i use it as target practice for my Marksdwarves, or a practice dummy for my Hammerdwarves to bash into walls and off cliffs so it explodes into many bloody pieces on impact.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 08:13:53 pm »

Or food.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 08:16:14 pm »

Food? Bah, i'll not risk infecting my Dorfs. I'll flood the area with magma to sterilize it and destroy the body.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 08:29:19 pm »

It is useless to resist.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 08:45:10 pm »

Ha, no. I will resist even in death :P.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 08:48:33 pm »

Even in death, you shall still join us.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 08:52:07 pm »

Never. You underestimate my strength :P.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 08:54:16 pm »

Even the God Emperor is a brony...

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 09:22:01 pm »

Even the God Emperor is a brony...

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Don't make me post the God-Princess of Ponykind image.

To answer the initial question, this is Bay12. What is the answer to everything here?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞
Pages: [1] 2 3 4