Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves need Bonfires to have fun  (Read 3253 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves need Bonfires to have fun
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 08:25:26 am »

for now you csn use Warlord's Bonfire Mod
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 12:57:42 am »

As far as seeing in the dark and light sensitivity:  Technically, once you reach complete darkness (as you would underground), nothing can see.  No animal, anyway.  Eyeballs are dependent on light, even though some creatures have a very sensitive eyes and can make do with very little light, they still need some.  Which is why subterranean creatures generally depend on other senses to navigate and have weak or no eyesight at all.  I'm not sure if night vision cameras are still reliant on light or not, I can't recall.  Thermal imaging works.

Which means that as far as their eyes go, dwarves can't "see in the dark" because the concept doesn't actually exist once you reach true complete darkness.

And as far as light sensitivity, I'd think that if dwarves have torches to begin with, that'd never happen, since they'd be lighting their way from the start.  Though that does call into question their evolutionary balance, if they are subterranean creatures by nature who still depend on vision.  I've always imagined dwarves have fine vision when they're above ground, but underground rely on other senses--either some sort of semi-mystical "earth sense," if we're being fantasy, or heat-sensing like a pit viper.

Or, I suppose, beard sonar.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 01:10:03 am »

Dwarves don't live in total darkness though. Light from the surface can leak from the most unlikely sources, and after cave adaptation you'd bet it'd be enough for their drunken eyeballs :P

Also, fun fact for you, humans release light energy. Not nearly enough for us to notice, but enough for our stumpy friends. Which might mean cave adapted Dwarves don't see their surroundings - they see what's in them, judging by depth and reflection.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 06:19:36 am »

That doesn't mean they wouldn't mind extra light

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 03:46:13 pm »

That doesn't mean they wouldn't mind extra light

magma.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 07:59:19 pm »

Dwarves already have torches, they are right next to the toilets, and physical intimacy.

(spoilered for nightmare nausea fuel)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 10:19:44 am »

Something I'd really like is a designation for setting things on fire.

Of course, dwarven fire AI would need to be handled first, but after that, the possibilities would be endless. Loading wooden logs on a mine cart, setting them on fire and then send them flying towards a group of hapless goblins? Or better yet, elves would surely love having the burning corpses of their treefriends hurled at them! Even more grand, why not greet your besiegers with flying !!Elves!!? Closed areas filled with logs/vegetation that the invaders have to pass through before reaching your fortress, in which invaders can be trapped while you light a carefully placed fuse and watch them go down in an infernal mayhem? Fiery apocalypse (on forest embarks, much to the elves dismay) WITHOUT an endless amount of magma pump/volcano on the surface? Unleashing hundreds of burning cats upon your opponents at whim? Burning a bridge which your assailants have recklessly charged upon?

Yeah.  8)

I added a suggestion for this on the eternal voting thing. With the rumoured upcoming fix to dwarven fire AI and mine carts, I think we could not ask for a better time.

Edit: Suggestion is named "Fire on demand"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:22:40 am by Escapism »

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 07:40:10 pm »

In keeping with the medieval, pre-Newtonian theme of Dwarf Fortress, I've always imagined that dwarf vision works via emission theory.

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 02:28:37 am »

Realistically, we're looking at this kinda thing to be implemented whenever toady gets around to the 'lights' goal, whenever that may be. However... my two cents on the topic

Dwarves have VASTLY better low-light vision than humans. They're not gonna need anywhere NEAR as much light. Cave adapted dwarves probably have even better low-light vision. Most fortresses aren't gonna need a ton of light sources, but maybe have a personality preference towards light or dark places.

Smoke is going to have a LOT of effects, and i'm not entirely sure how to handle it, but here's a few thoughts.
  • Going to have applications in beekeeping, since smoke is usually used to placate the bees during honey collection.
  • Similarly, in warm or swampy areas, it will serve an important role in keeping bugs away. Being swarmed by gnats will probably give ANY dwarf unhappy thoughts.
  • Could be used when food spoiling is implemented. Dwarves could smoke meat to keep it fresh longer. Or dry it out, but that's another thread.
  • And of course, in true DF tradition, use it on invaders! Smoke screens, choking smoke traps, and whatever the community's twisted imaginations can come up with.

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 03:23:38 am »

I don't think that there is a need for torches or bonfires for light in caves. All the light needed is mysteriously provided already.
What is the source of the mysterious light? Why don't you dig a little deeper and find out.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 08:47:46 am »

this has been suggested like a million times and is already a planned feature, although it is perhaps not well conceptualized at this time.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 [2]