Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves need Bonfires to have fun  (Read 3252 times)

mikelon

Dwarves need Bonfires to have fun
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:14:24 am »

What i think dwarf fortress needs is a new building/designation for fires/bonfires,torches.

Add a little ambience to your throne room by supplying it with the warming glow of a bonfire surrounded by thrones where dwarves can relax after a long day of parties and breaks.

Add a little extra fun to the prison by adding a fire underneath the cage to lightly singe the prisoners feet and legs.

Or to purposely burn out large sections of pesky greenery on the 'sniff' surface. Maybe even add a flaming boulder/arrow option to catapults and ballistas to add an extra effect to the warding off  sieges.

It would be a great use for that extra wood you have lying around after your fort doesnt need so many beds and bins. Add a log every season to keep it going, when you purposely douse it produces a unit of ash and charcoal.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:17:07 am by mikelon »

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves need Bonfires to have fun
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 07:27:54 am »

I think torches should be necessary below the surface. each torch would light certain size of an area and once they run out of fuel (wood, charcoal etc) this part of fortress becomes dark and dwarves are afraid to move there and rather starve than go in to the darkness.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:10:32 am »

...and rather starve than go in to the darkness.

A little extreme, don't you think?
Anyways the OPs suggestion is already planned
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 02:13:14 pm »

WHAT?

They are planning that?

NO. NO.

THAT IS NOT DWARFY?  DONT THEY HAVE BEARDS FOR THAT?
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 07:22:22 am »

S'mores!  That has gotta create a happy thought.

I would like to stoke a fire with an cast iron billow, and release smoke during those horribly destructive archer sieges.  A definite strategic bonus to evasion, should be given to defense when hiding inside an ink cloud.  Images of Indian signal fires on distant mesa's come to view.  "The Salmon are Running!"  This does introduce a rather complex equation, however.  The rate different woods burn, according to their elevation and wind.  Aspen burns like paper in a crosswind.  But a similar sized piece of oak, could take awhile longer to burn through.  Fun!  I'm glad I don't have to code that.  It might take a considerable amount of research at Yosemite.

I'm all for candles, and more decorations.  No more Nyctography.  I was under the impression Dwarfs had some extra sensory ability within their eyeballs, that sunlight dwellers hadn't developed.  *shrug*

Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:52:20 am »

Knutor, keep your pants on! :P
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 05:36:50 pm »

If torches were to run out then only once a year and a block of charcoal can refill 30 torches. PERIOD!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 07:11:17 pm »

this part of fortress becomes dark and dwarves are afraid to move there and rather starve than go in to the darkness.
I think it would be better if the areas went dark only to the player, with items inside not being processed as much by the game. Perhaps they could be taken off the list for building and for workshop tasks, which would allow players to have a healthy store of items without having them slow the game down.

Food, drink, and built items would be exempt from this, and torch status would be on the stocks screen like food and drink. Otherwise you'd be having sections of the fortress going dark without warning, and that would just be irritating.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 08:22:09 pm »

Wouldn't fires indoors produce a carp ton of smoke, not to mention dwarves are cave adapted, they see well in the dark already, if anything lights in the dark would blind them.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 10:21:27 pm »

Yup.  Underground smoke should produce miasma like angry thoughts, from the lack of oxygen, not lack of light.  Dwarfs are used to being hole burrowing blind-moles.  I'd love to use smoke and fire in traps.  And on the tips of bolts.  It would also be nice for drying meat and fish.  I'd like to see the bolts moved to the bowyer instead of craftsdwarf workshop, however..  Perspectively, it makes more sense to be there.  In its place on craftsdwarf, put a throwing axe, or some other thrown wpn.  Darts, maybe.  Just my .02

Sincerly,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 10:24:37 pm »

You mad? Those poor light sensitive eyes in the darkness compared to the burning piles of wood... They'd be getting eye damage so quickly you wouldn't be able to say look out for that fire in time :/

Also, the smoke would be the biggest problem... Unless you were talking lots of bonfires. But that would be too finnicky to add.

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 11:35:18 pm »

I don't think their eyes are sensitive to light, because they walk around in broad daylight all the time.  And I think torches would produce a lot less smoke than the indoor furnaces.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 11:37:24 pm »

I don't think their eyes are sensitive to light, because they walk around in broad daylight all the time.  And I think torches would produce a lot less smoke than the indoor furnaces.
*Depends on the furnace.
**Also, that's before they're cave adadapted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 04:03:53 am »

While this does sound awesome, I hope if its put in that its disableable in the options.  For the low end machines, like mine.

mikelon

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 07:13:32 am »

Wouldn't fires indoors produce a carp ton of smoke, not to mention dwarves are cave adapted, they see well in the dark already, if anything lights in the dark would blind them.

one word:

chimneys

yes, add a chimney to the surface. Smoke will bellow out driving all the wildlife away, or maybe choking sieges in smoke traps.
Pages: [1] 2