Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 153

Author Topic: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic  (Read 224432 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony, Friendship Is Magic
« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2011, 07:30:38 am »

You seem to be giving them a lot of scattered parts alright...

Although I gotta say I do like a "quasi-immortal regenerating mutant" take on the ponies. If anything, it is at least original.

And on a now related note, perhaps we could keep the terror-fic prototypes in the relevant thread?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:34:40 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2011, 07:35:31 am »

Good fiction? MLP Fanfiction or actual fiction?

Fanfiction, I'd go for The Thessalonica Legacy. Actual fiction, try Dan Abnett's stuff. His 40k stuff is good, but he's written in almost every genre for almost every age.

Now, why would you have dragons as slaves? I'm going to write something along that line as a story at some point.

Of course, it's a simple answer - so you can wipeout dragonkind as a whole. It's Discord's last toss of the dice, and even better - he used Luna to get it happening. Celestia hasn't got a clue about it and neither does Luna, but Discord's just itching for his latest scheme to complete itself.

How else can I make it possibly worse? Maybe Celestia learned of it one day and decided to do it, because it'd make the ponies safer.

So what position do the dragons occupy that makes them vital? Give me some ideas, people.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 27, 2011, 07:49:59 am »

Yes, I meant MLP fiction primarily, but I suppose anything with good characters I can cross-reference from several sources should work.

Back to dragons... well it could simply be a natural part of their lifecycle. Dragons are essentially bipeds in this 'verse, so maybe at some point they actually were a dominant species, explaining some of the tool designs. Ponies probably lived alongside them, in a sort of peaceful coexistence. Then, something happened. Probably Discord. Over the course of a few days/years, dragons are nearly extinct as a species, being eliminated first as the only beings powerful and numerous enough to actually pose a threat to his rule. Cue Celestia (probably not named such back then) and the Elements of Harmony, a last-ditch effort to defeat Discord, which works but leaves the lands devastated, the planet losing its natural rotation, and of the dragons only a few remain, hiding in their caves around the world. Celestia and Luna, the most powerful of ponies remaining, assume their identities and start trying to rebuild the world, at the same time beginning to search for ways to restore the dragon population. Eventually, a full-on repopulation effort proves impossible, the remaining dragons growing territorial and protective of their solitude, and new offspring vanishingly rare. Sometime after the conflict with Luna/Nightmare Moon, Celestia renews her efforts, and creates a magic spell that, while incredibly difficult and exhausting, allows her to facilitate the creation of dragon eggs, which could then be hatched by any pony of sufficient magical talent. The resulting new species, magical dragons, do not grow into the massive flyers like their old ancestors, but instead possess special magic powers, such as directed sending and receiving of messages, essentially turning them into a quasi-subservient race, which is nevertheless treated with proper respect by all ponykind, in long-forgotten memory of their sacrifice that allowed the world to still exist today.

How's that?

And yes, it sort of grew in the telling.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 27, 2011, 12:07:29 pm »

On a, now completely, unrelated note, I'm still waiting for someone to recommend me some good fiction. Preferably not conceived or directed by Dsarker.
Fallout: Equestria
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 27, 2011, 12:15:29 pm »

You know what'd be hilarious? A "Human in Equestria" fic staring Robin Hanson. As for why it's hilarious, he's a macroeconomist who makes Gregory House look like pinkie pie, and have been described by those who know him well with (paraphrased) "Give him a glass 9/10 full of water, and he'll show you exactly how the remaining 1/10 proves nobody REALLY cares about water and we're all hypocrites."...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:34 pm »

On a, now completely, unrelated note, I'm still waiting for someone to recommend me some good fiction. Preferably not conceived or directed by Dsarker.

This is the best thing ever written. I have read a total of one fanfiction that is better than this, and it isn't even a MLP one.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 27, 2011, 12:52:58 pm »

I just downloaded the TF2 team select reskin. TIS WIN

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 27, 2011, 05:19:50 pm »

Dsarker, please tell me it isn't another 40k crossover... Do you derive some sort of sick pleasure from those?  :P

Although you are taking an interesting approach with this one.

On another note, this author has done two rather excellent Doctor Who crossovers that feel very much like episodes. Much fun. /)^3^(\
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:05:10 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 27, 2011, 08:11:04 pm »

I've only done the one 40k crossover, and started two others which are on hold for the moment.

40k is the only other series I really know much about, to be honest.

No, this isn't another crossover. It's going to be straight.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 27, 2011, 08:35:42 pm »

I've only done the one 40k crossover, and started two others which are on hold for the moment.

40k is the only other series I really know much about, to be honest.

No, this isn't another crossover. It's going to be straight.

No such thing as a straight pony in Equestria :p

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 27, 2011, 08:38:11 pm »

Oh, hardi-ha-ha.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 27, 2011, 10:11:48 pm »

DOHOHOHOHO. Although Twilight is rather good at being a straight mare.

3. Run Resize Enable

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 27, 2011, 11:05:08 pm »

May Celestia crush me with Her mighty ballsack.
There are only forty-one chapters of Fallout: Equestria. Well, time to hit up the side stories. Based on the descriptions alone, only half of them are worth a look at.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 28, 2011, 12:02:02 am »

Meh, only 2 flavours of the side stories I've bothered to read and keep up with...  Project Horizon and Pink Eyes.

Pink Eyes is spiked with cute... Project Horizon is another flavor of vault dweller.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 28, 2011, 12:06:56 am »

That reminds me, I still need to start reading Project Horizon... along with roughly several score other fics. And I can't, because I made a statement in text on the comments for my story post on EqD that the next update should be early next week, and now I feel bound to honor it. :I

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 153