Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: Witches' Coven: Over Hill, Over Dale - Dark Apprentice Needed!  (Read 39283 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Witches' Coven: Over Hill, Over Dale [DAY 1: 14/14]
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2011, 09:07:37 am »

Think0028 has been prodded. ECrownofFire, Jack AT and Jim Groovester are all cutting it close, as well.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2011, 10:15:56 am »

Hmm, hmm.
Here we are, then. Names and professions. Some locals, some out-of-towners. 4 expert craftsmen (glazier, tailor, cordwainer, silversmith). 4 out-of-towners (2 actors, 2 teachers). A factory worker, a bartender, a printer, an apothecary, a choir member, and a sailor. Quite the mix!
Seems a few folks have art-like hobbies?
The bells, whatever they mean. No one has fessed up to knowing a thing about them.
Good, good. We have all made it very easy for the flavour cops to do their jobs.

Strange claims:
-Ottofar the factory worker. What, does he run the factory by himself? Strange that an institution of such size would go unmentioned in any other flavour.
-Think the out-of-work Irish sailor. Out of work, hmm. In these dark times, wouldn't it be easy to turn to a life of crime, to make ends meet?
-ECrownOfFire the half-naked Latin teacher. Half naked. Strange business, that.
-Simple the brother of the now-deceased soul-survivor of the massacre of an entire village. Wouldn't being the only one left alive make one feel a little... strange? Funny in the head, perhaps. Perhaps inclined towards revenge against the inquisition who caused your trauma? And wouldn't one share such desires for revenge with your family- perhaps on ones deathbed, with the request that said family take up your cause? The perfectly ordinary claim which he nonetheless felt disinclined to share enhances this theory.

Yeah, Simple, you've got a grudge against the inquisition, haven't you?
Long Live United Forenia!

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2011, 02:11:07 pm »

Nah,he's pretty pious and i guess he has no problem with inquisition as a church organization.Also i think my guy doesn't even know what happened to his brother back then, otherwise he wouldn't be so sceptic about the witches existence. And i think what you're trying to do would make more sense if witches weren't body-stealers with their goals not connected to their host. This is simply getting too far past logical reasoning to be of any use. I think only if we got literal SK in here this would make any sense.

Time Blossom: What's your character opinion on the witch-hunt ? Also is this choir a church one ?
Jim/Nuke: Any particular reason you came to this town ?

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2011, 02:38:59 pm »

Due to headache posting tomorrow.
Probably.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2011, 02:43:59 pm »

Simple: Oh? 'Getting past logical', is it? My accusation is not only wrong, it is inherently flawed?
My, my. That's a thing.
You will notice I did not accuse you of being a witch. I am not even sure there are witches. In fact, yes. I was accusing you of being some sort of SK- or at least a violent anti-town figure.
Why do you think a literal SK being in here is unlikely? Last game we had two SKs. Suggesting that my accusation is flawed because it hinges on the possibility of a SK is not just pathetic, it is frankly suspicious. You are trying to make SKs seem unlikely, despite evidence to the contrary. This is because you are, yourself, a SK, for the reasons I previously mentioned, isn't it?

Your brother- you kept in touch with him, given that you knew when he died. Yet he never mentioned, not once, the slightest detail about the time when he was the sole survivor in a village full of slaughtered corpses? Hah, don't make me laugh. You scum bastard you.

As to your question: we are a travelling troupe. We travel all over the place. There is no special reason given for our coming here; we came because it is a large town where we can get lots of customers.

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2011, 03:31:19 pm »

Simple: Oh? 'Getting past logical', is it? My accusation is not only wrong, it is inherently flawed?
My, my. That's a thing.
You will notice I did not accuse you of being a witch. I am not even sure there are witches. In fact, yes. I was accusing you of being some sort of SK- or at least a violent anti-town figure.
Why do you think a literal SK being in here is unlikely?
Last time it was two magical creatures and the supernatural elements seemed to be center of the plot. Why this game should be that different ?
Last game we had two SKs. Suggesting that my accusation is flawed because it hinges on the possibility of a SK is not just pathetic, it is frankly suspicious.
Why ? I thought what i should be doing is pointing out flaws in scum reasoning? Or you think we all should just agree that you're always right and you're never lie or err.
You are trying to make SKs seem unlikely, despite evidence to the contrary.
What evidence ?
This is because you are, yourself, a SK, for the reasons I previously mentioned, isn't it?

Your brother- you kept in touch with him, given that you knew when he died.
Again you're assuming too much : i know exactly two things about him from my pm: That he recently died and that his name was Anthony Engleford. I don't even know how,where or exactly when he died. And it's funny how you gone from "i got nothing on you" to "you're obv-sk".
Yet he never mentioned, not once, the slightest detail about the time when he was the sole survivor in a village full of slaughtered corpses? Hah, don't make me laugh. You scum bastard you.

As to your question: we are a travelling troupe. We travel all over the place. There is no special reason given for our coming here; we came because it is a large town where we can get lots of customers.
Why you left capital ? How long does this troupe exists ?

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2011, 03:36:01 pm »

-ECrownOfFire the half-naked Latin teacher. Half naked. Strange business, that.
It's to feel the weather...

Posting more later.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2011, 04:27:59 pm »

NUKE: The thoughts you've given on the flavourclaims seem to focus on the less supernatural end of anti-town forces.  Do you think that we will be dealing with mostly supernatural forces, like the previous game, or with more mundane forces?  Do you think it's too early to tell?

Simple: You seem oddly against the idea of a serial killer-type role even being in the game, if I'm understanding your most recent post correctly.  Is there a reason for this?  Should we focus on hunting witches, or third parties?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2011, 04:33:12 pm »

Hello again all. I had massive RL conflicts that prevented me from doing Mafia yesterday.

Time Blossom: Woops, missed your question. My main method for avoiding suspicion while playing scum is currently playing like noob town, siding with bandwagons while coming up with slightly-different reasons for voting them, and doing my best to avoid disagreeing with people who aren't hanging. It's not the best tactic, but I've lived through most games I was scum in.

NUKE9.13: Again you're calling his statement a lie in the same breath as saying the mod confirmed it was just an error. Which is it? The way you frame your rhetorical questions about flavor, it's obvious you're trying to insinuate suspicions of an SK. Why so much emphasis on finding SK's in particular?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2011, 05:30:14 pm »

Simple: You seem oddly against the idea of a serial killer-type role even being in the game, if I'm understanding your most recent post correctly.  Is there a reason for this?  Should we focus on hunting witches, or third parties?
There is probably a killing role out there, but i don't believe it would be a "crazy guy with a knife" kind of SK. And only that kind fit into Nuke's way of thinking. I believe that SK are more likely to be magical (Wizard,Golem,Doppelganger,Vampire and alike) as in my opinion supernatural threat is a basic setting feature. In one thing Nuke is right : we should find third parties anyway and it should be our priority. Another thing is how can we distinguish one from another.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2011, 06:14:55 pm »

Why aren't you answering?
Because it is a silly RVS question, which will not help anyone with anything. It is part of my ongoing protest against the futility of the RVS. Although, to be fair, it weren't so bad in this one.

Still not going to answer, though. Its silly, and nothing sensible will be gained from it.

It's not so silly, for reasons I can come up with which may or may not be the reasons Imiknorris came up with when he asked.

Players play differently if they are intimidated by other players. If you fear somebody then you (might possibly) play differently when interacting with them. So I still want to know the answer to the question.

Obviously that depends on his alignment, I'm just curious about the care he took to make sure his vote wasn't counted twice.

And what does that say if he's taking care of his doublevote?

Jim/Nuke: Any particular reason you came to this town ?

We're wandering minstrels and we've wandered into this town like wandering minstrels are wont to do to towns.

There is probably a killing role out there, but i don't believe it would be a "crazy guy with a knife" kind of SK.

While there was a wizard and a golem, there was also a lumberjack with an axe last game. It's possible to have mundane killing roles.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2011, 06:37:03 pm »

Toaster: Looking through past games of his, I'm leaning toward the latter. Still want an answer.

Dariush: Would you like to share anything else from your flavor? History, hobbies, something of that sort?

Time Blossom: same question as Dariush.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2011, 06:46:58 pm »

Simple. You know, I wasn't sure before now? I was just being super-confident because that can help make scum panic. This strategy's effectiveness has been proven once more.

Last time it was two magical creatures and the supernatural elements seemed to be center of the plot. Why this game should be that different?
Counterpoint: last game there was an anti-town non-supernatural opponent: a lyncher, who merely wanted to steal some guys valuables.
This game is closed setup. Very closed setup. We expect supernatural opponents, but I wouldn't put it past LNCP to throw in a completely ordinary 'guy with a knife'; indeed, it would confuse us more, which is what he wants.

Why ? I thought what i should be doing is pointing out flaws in scum reasoning?
Pointing out flaws in someones reasoning (there's nothing stopping you from pointing out flaws in town reasoning, mind) is fine. But my reasoning was not flawed; you made up a flaw to point out, which, I think you should be able to agree, is not ok.

Or you think we all should just agree that you're always right and you're never lie or err.
-Oh? Am I hitting too hard for you? Do you not like me spouting 100% truthfacts all up in your face? Yeah, this is just you panicking, see.

What evidence ?
The presence of SKs in the last game; this is evidence that SKs are not unlikely.

Again you're assuming too much : i know exactly two things about him from my pm: That he recently died and that his name was Anthony Engleford. I don't even know how,where or exactly when he died.
Bullshit. This is just mentioned as a passing comment, with no reference to his relation to you?
Oh yeah, I have that too. My role PM mentions that John Smith died recently.[/joke]
You are covering something up, and it is something that town shouldn't have to cover up.

And it's funny how you gone from "i got nothing on you" to "you're obv-sk".
Panic some more, why don't you. I went there after rereading, posing this possibility to you, and you subsequently flipped the fuck out and started denying the possibility of SKs. Sorry, this is how that works. One moment you look fine, the next you panic and are obvscum. Gotta keep your wits about you at all times, man, or you are going to lose.

Why you left capital ? How long does this troupe exists ?
Because we travel. We could travel in circles round the capital, but we'd get dizzy. The troupe is fairly young, recently founded by yours truly.

NUKE: The thoughts you've given on the flavourclaims seem to focus on the less supernatural end of anti-town forces.  Do you think that we will be dealing with mostly supernatural forces, like the previous game, or with more mundane forces?  Do you think it's too early to tell?
I reckon that, much like the last game, our primary trouble will be supernatural. However, the Supernatural are less likely to come out and say "oh I'm a tailor and a carpenter and oh by the way I'm also a werewolf"; their guilt will be less easy to determine from flavour alone. The Natural could mention something that hints towards their guilt by accident, for example by mentioning their relation to someone liable to have a bit of a grudge against the Inquisition.

NUKE9.13: Again you're calling his statement a lie in the same breath as saying the mod confirmed it was just an error. Which is it? The way you frame your rhetorical questions about flavor, it's obvious you're trying to insinuate suspicions of an SK. Why so much emphasis on finding SK's in particular?
...no. I believe that Simple's brother is his brother and that he died at a normal age. I accept that the mod confirmed it. I'm fairly sure I've been over this. Yes, yes, I have, right here.
My current suspicion is not even remotely based on him lying about his brother. And the mod has not confirmed that he isn't a SK out for revenge against the Inquisition (something I highly doubt is going to change), so I don't know what you are talking about.
I was insinuating that Simple might be a SK because I thought he might be; I didn't think it likely that he was a member of a larger scumteam.

There is probably a killing role out there, but i don't believe it would be a "crazy guy with a knife" kind of SK.
So, you use a knife, then?

And only that kind fit into Nuke's way of thinking. I believe that SK are more likely to be magical (Wizard,Golem,Doppelganger,Vampire and alike) as in my opinion supernatural threat is a basic setting feature.
Wrong; see above, Natural lyncher in first game, no reason not to have more severe Natural threats this game.

In one thing Nuke is right : we should find third parties anyway and it should be our priority. Another thing is how can we distinguish one from another
Your confidence in the existence and malignance of third parties befits you, SK. Don't worry, you will be easy to distinguish from the others, by way of how you will be the oldest corpse on the gallows.

It's not so silly, for reasons I can come up with which may or may not be the reasons Imiknorris came up with when he asked.
Players play differently if they are intimidated by other players. If you fear somebody then you (might possibly) play differently when interacting with them. So I still want to know the answer to the question.
Yes, yes. I know that the question isn't as silly as, say, what colour are your curtains.
But it is inherently silly by way of it being an RVS question; not being well-thought out beforehand, but rather being spouted out as part of a routine. It is not designed to get useful information out of me, even if one could argue that it might do so. It blends together with other random questions to obscure and befuddle D1, and for that I find it silly and useless and not something that I will answer if I can at all help it.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2011, 08:40:52 pm »

Last time it was two magical creatures and the supernatural elements seemed to be center of the plot. Why this game should be that different?
Counterpoint: last game there was an anti-town non-supernatural opponent: a lyncher, who merely wanted to steal some guys valuables.
This game is closed setup. Very closed setup. We expect supernatural opponents, but I wouldn't put it past LNCP to throw in a completely ordinary 'guy with a knife'; indeed, it would confuse us more, which is what he wants.
My, you're really eager to bring out the wine aren't you?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2011, 08:58:02 pm »

I'm sorry, I don't understand.

How is that WIFOM?

(No, really, I don't understand)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18