Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Trampletongs - An experiment with citizen mandates [Community Fort]  (Read 7221 times)

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
Re: Trampletongs - An experiment with citizen mandates [Community Fort]
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 09:13:47 am »

Entry 4

"MIGRANTS!"

There were 20 of them! Finally we could get things done!
Among the migrants were a talented weaponsmith, a proficient diagnostician, a couple of hunters and a cook. There was also a mechanist though Gar probably won't think he's skilled enough to join his prestigous guild.

Speaking of Gar, he had another mandate for me. I could just write down what he wanted but I think that transcribing the actual dialog that took place is a better indication of the kind of suffering I'm being forced through here.

"CAGES!"

"You want cages? Why do you want-"

"CAGE TRAPS!"

"What? Near the entrance? That could be useful in a-"

"EVERYWHERE!"

"What every-"

"ALSO THE CAVERNS!"

"We haven't even reached the caverns yet! Are you saying we should break through just so we can trap it?!"

"You know, the caverns contain all sorts of useful herbs. It would be wise for us to break into the troglodyte-infested, dangerous, murderous, potentially lethal caverns just for those herbs." This remark came from Goldenherbs, the fortress' herbalist

"But, danger isn't- you know what? Fine, I'll put it on the to-do list. But if anyone dies it's YOUR fault. Now Gar, how many cages-"

"A HUNDRED!"

Fantastic.

A couple days later I was sitting in my workshop, working on Gar's cages when I heard the words I was afraid I would hear:

"AMBUSH!" twoing "AARGHTHEYGOTARCHERS!"

Our militia constisted of ten dwarfs now, most of them carrying silver axes but only one of them with a proper suit of armor. It was tempting to just stay inside and hope that Gar's traps would take care of them but a lot of dwarves were currently outside. Something had to happen.

I heard the noises of battle as I rushed upstairs.

"GRAB YOUR WEAPONS! WE CAN TAKE THEM!"

"ALL CIVILIANS INSIDE! NOW!"

snap! "LEAD THEM TO THE CAGE TRAPS!"

"SHIT! THERE'S MORE OF THEM!"

"COMMANDER DOWN!"

I ran for what seemed like an eternity, when I finally arrived upstairs it was all over. There were only five military dwarves left. Anders was dead.
Now was no time for grief. Now was a time for repairing the damage that had been done.

"Gar! Load the traps! Everybody help the wounded inside! We'll use the barracks as a hospital! Zomara, start making armor! This can't happen again!"

"Zomara's dead"

Shit! "Well then anyone else who can hold a hammer make some armor! Well? What are you waiting for?! Move!"

"Maybe I can help in the hospital?" I recognised the voice to be Atis'

"We'll need bandages, you know how to weave thread?" She nodded, "Then go set up a loom and start spinning."

Nine dwarves had died that day, five more were injured.
If sad, apply kittens.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 09:16:09 am »

So yeah, Zomara and Anders are both dead. They're the only named dwarfs that died. You can have new dwarves if you like.
Furthermore Kuruyukukyuku (or however you write that) is wounded (though he'll probably survive.)

I'm not going to bother with listing the available dwarves anymore. Just tell me what kind of dwarf you like and I'll see what I can do.
If sad, apply kittens.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 09:35:18 am »

I want to be reenlisted as a squad leader of the Axedorf formation. First things first I want a full set of Armour and a good weapon.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 10:50:17 am »

Mandate:

Karakzon to train a little in armour smithing so when he inevitably moods, itll be a bloody good one.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 11:07:23 am »

I want to be reenlisted as a squad leader of the Axedorf formation. First things first I want a full set of Armour and a good weapon.
Sure thing. Do you want an axe or do you want your hammer back? Also: what should the name of the new dwarf be? (I named him Anders II for now)

Mandate:

Karakzon to train a little in armour smithing so when he inevitably moods, itll be a bloody good one.
Isn't mining a moodable skill? So won't he mood in that? Either way I'll let him make some armor, I just don't think it'll work for moods.
If sad, apply kittens.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 11:09:57 am »

I dont partic know, but i do think it should work. since minning isent classed as any creative skill, i think it defaults to mason for miners. :P do it in the name of !!SCIENCE!! pluss: it does mean you can use me as an emergency armoursmith. Just get me to bash out a few sheilds of sommer basic and then itll be fufiled.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 11:34:17 am »

Isn't mining a moodable skill? So won't he mood in that? Either way I'll let him make some armor, I just don't think it'll work for moods.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mood#Artifacts_created

Second sentence. Miners make masonry artifacts.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 02:14:19 pm »

Sure thing. Do you want an axe or do you want your hammer back? Also: what should the name of the new dwarf be? (I named him Anders II for now)

Mandate:

I'm Yug, you know the guy WHO'S BEEN CHUCKING THE WHOLE FUCKING WOOD FOR YOU!.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 02:36:06 pm »

So my traps are proved to be usseful. I think, just hundred is not enought - it's just a 30x30 field with traps set each 3 tiles... what about four hundreds? 60x60 is quite an area, I think.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 02:41:40 pm »

I'm Yug, you know the guy WHO'S BEEN CHUCKING THE WHOLE FUCKING WOOD FOR YOU!.

Whoops! My mistake. Anyway, you became the militia commander after Anders died. More on this in the next entry.
If sad, apply kittens.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 03:10:50 pm »

Wow, I was expecting Goldenherbs to be more subt...ah, right, dwarves. Anyways, hilarious, glad you can update so much.
Speaking of his mandate, you forgot to add it to the first post's mandate list unless I missed something. Presumably it would be in yellow, but it is not.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 03:15:03 pm »

Dwarf as Jacen. The h is silent. Also, he is a soapmaker.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:36:23 pm by JacenHanLovesLegos »
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 03:26:51 pm »

I want to be the first available not claimed dwarf( in title dungeon master any dwarf will work) use my forum name.

and my first mandate will be a  2 war dogs for everyone, that's here now and will ever show up.

and t the second one is a hole Z lvl carved into a maze with multiple exits that change to keep the goblins/elfs pathing around inside of it.( room full of levers set for only my guy to pull to change the maze exits)

And third a Fight ring to make people fight in before there thrown in to the maze.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 04:21:37 pm »

Entry 5

Another ambush.

Kukuryku had just recovered from the wounds he'd gotten from the first ambush. He got out of bed and went to the river to get a drink of water, that's when they popped out and attacked. Thankfully he managed to hold them off until the militia arrived, they managed to kill the ambushers but not before we lost four dwarves of our own.
Yug was one of them. He didn't even get to lose an eye before he died.

The miners dug out a proper hospital. One with a well so that we won't have to go outside to drink water if we ever have to.

Morale is low, the military is weak and untrained and we're running low on booze.

---

Kukuryku recovered with amazing speed! I just saw him working at the still only a couple of days after his injuries. He's becoming a mass of scar tissue but he's shaken off his injuries as if they're nothing! I've decided to cheer him up by trying to fullfill his mandate; buying chickens (no, really)

Also one of our masons went fey and made the most beautiful quern I have ever seen in my life!

This might be the boost in morale we need!

---

Migrants have arrived! Our military is back to it's original strength only now they all have their own suit of armor. That's right, they don't have to share anymore.

One of the new migrants introduced himself as Uthric. He's... odd.

"I AM UTHRIC, DUNGEON MASTER! HEAR MY COMMANDS!"

"Alright, shoot."

"MY FIRST COMMAND: ALL DWARVES SHALL BE GUARDED BY TWO HOUNDS OF WAR SO-"

"No dogs here."

"Wait, what? No dogs?"

"Well, we had one, but he got killed in an ambush. Sorry, I'll see what I can do when the next caravan comes along."

"Oh, ehm. Well then. HEAR MY SECOND COMMAND! WE SHALL CARVE OUT A LABYRINTH THAT SHALL TRAP ANY AND ALL INVADERS. SO THAT THEY SHALL BE LOST FOR ALL-"

"Let me stop you there. You'd rather see your enemies getting lost on the way to the fight than actually fight them? What are you, an elf!?"

"Well, I guess if you put it like that... HEAR MY THIRD COMMAND!"

"Wow, you really like commanding, don't you?"

"WE SHALL BUILD AN ARENA IN WHICH WE SHALL SPILL THE BLOOD OF OUR ENEMIES! THE GODS THEMSELVES SHALL SPECTATE THE GLORY OF-"

"Now that I can do"

---

"AMBUSH!"

I smiled. This time we'd win. Gar placed traps all over the place, there were no dwarves outside and we had a fully equipped military. If they made it past the traps we could cut them to ribbons in no time! Surely we'd-

"SIEGE! THEY'RE DARK STRANGLERS!"

Now this could be a problem. We had a layer of traps, but it was thin. If the ambushers set them all off the siege could simply pass through. Dark stranglers were mostly wrestlers, though. They couldn't do much agains-

"AMBUSH!"

This confused me. "We know!" I shouted back to whoever it is that announces these things, "You just said so!"

"This is a different one! They just attacked one of our horses!"

I cursed. Two ambushes and a siege!? Was there a scheduling conflict or something? This was getting way too dangerous to-

"SIEGE!"

"WE KNOW!"

"DIFFERENT ONE! THESE ARE BEAK WOLF HUNTERS!"

Two sieges! What have I done to deserve-

"AMBUSH!"

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-
If sad, apply kittens.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2011, 05:01:43 pm »

1. find a chicken scratch, half completed, mandate ordering that "
    a.catapult defenses be built in front of our entrance in a manner that allows them to be entered from inside the fort only and only allow it to be fired from the front (toward the enemy direction)
    b. A wooden archer tower/training area be built 4 levels high top level b-
2. Xer. I want a male hunter that wants a fireing squad of his own. named Xer

please
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:13:11 am by zomara0292 »
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5